If religion isn't a motivator for violence...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by KennyJC, Jul 26, 2006.

1. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

christianity (which i fully oppose) is an excellent example of a religion that teaches the opposite of violence: tolerance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

When rooting out irrational beliefs that shape society yes. I don't see how anybody could respect these set of superstitious beliefs. I tolerate it, but don't respect it. Especially when I see it be the root of violence and degredation of parts of the world.

Who needs ovens when they are happy to annihilate each other with bombs?

Good point, then racist 'beliefs' have a lot in common with religious fundamentalists. Racist violence doesn't tend to grab the front pages in the same way religious violence does, if you are so sure that it is more common.

My issue is not being a victim of crime, my issue is that people are victims of crime, purely because of their faith, or lack of. Which is rediculous.

How carefully selective of you. People don't quote those parts of the Bible or the Koran when confronted by infidels who don't agree with their faith.

Depends which part of the Bible you read. Also, dense groups of Christians like in the bible belt seem to have missed the opposite of violence... You say tolerance, but I don't see this amongst groups of fundamentalist Christians.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

regardless of what you see, tolerance and love are the teachings of this religion (a religion i do not support).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

dont let the arguments bring you down, sam.
    maintain.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Top 8 arms exporters in 2004

Country Current US dollars
    United States $18,500,000,000
    Russia $4,600,000,000
    France $4,400,000,000
    United Kingdom $1,900,000,000
    Germany $900,000,000
    Canada $900,000,000
    China $700,000,000
    Israel $500,000,000

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Never!

Always!

PS am I doing something wrong?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Major arms industry corporations by nation

Austria
    Glock Steyr-Daimler-Puch

Belgium
    Fabrique Nationale de Herstal

Canada
    Diemaco

China
    Norinco

France
    EADS
    Dassault Aviation
    DCN
    Thales Group
    GIAT Industries

Germany
    EADS
    Heckler & Koch
    Krauss-Maffei
    Rheinmetall

Israel
    Israel Military Industries

Italy
    Beretta

Norway
    Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace
    Raufoss

Russia
    Kartsev-Venediktov Design Bureau IZH

South Africa
    Armscor

Sweden
    BAE Systems Bofors
    Saab Bofors dynamics

United Kingdom

BAE Systems
    Cobham plc
    Rolls-Royce

United States
    AAI Corporation
    BAE Systems Inc.
    Boeing
    Carlyle Group
    Colt's Manufacturing Company
    General Atomics
    General Electric (primarily through GEAE)
    General Dynamics
    Honeywell
    Lockheed-Martin
    Northrop Grumman Corporation
    Raytheon Corporation
    United Defense (now BAE Systems Land and Armaments

12. sniffy Banned Banned

Divided We Fall

13. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i was just saying....maintain integrity..you are kind of new here, and its a shame to see new folks getting drawn into a futile argument.

its like talking to a bag of rocks in this subforum.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So I should stop arguing here?

15. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

samcdkey: your tactic when discussing how religion motivates violence, is to direct attention away from that and focus on violence motivated by political motives. The difference is western politics is not carrying out violence in the name of religion (except in the case of America in many cases). You continually try to avoid this and like a good religious moderate, make excuses for those fundamentalists carrying out violence in the name of your religion.

In parts. People say Islam is a religion of peace, but from reading the Koran as an observer you will learn that it is a religion of peace only amongst Muslims. Any infidels aren't included in this peaceful vision.

Regardless of wether or not scripture teaches peace (which in some cases it does, some cases it doesn't), the fundamental followers of the religion aren't following this message based on America and the Middle East... the Far west is different by comparison.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Name the fundamentalists who are violent in the name of Islam and I will explain.

17. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Religion is violent and evil in nature.

click

Collisions of Religion and Violence

I mostly agree with Kenny.

When I openly admited to people that I was an atheist, I was in for a lecture, atempt conversions, distrusted, alienated. Welcome to the heart of Texas. I've learned since, that I wouldn't openly admit my religous stance on mere aquiantences, only to those whom I saw fit, that could handle my alternative relegious views.

Godless

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Intolerance is a sign of an uneducated society Godless. Tell me do the Texans welcome people of color or other nationality on the basis that they share a religion? What are their views on inter-racial marriages between Christians?

19. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I know

As far as I could tell, personally in public tolerance was demonstrated for different color or nationality, but amongs few inner circle groups the contempt was somewhat different.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In a large city like Houston Texas, this is no problem. However in small communities there in for a rude awakening!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Godless

20. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I could spend a long time giving examples of violence based soley on religion, and I was going to do so until I seen your reply to Godless' post:

Another excuse for the inexcusable. But anyway, lets say you are right and that they are just acting that way because they don't have the same privileged society we do... how do you then explain people who are brought up in secular developed countries, but then go on to do suicide attacks in the name of Islam? These people are generally highly educated and intelligent... but it took religion to drive them to such extremes.

And in the Middle East were religion is practically law, religion keeps them in the dark ages with their societies ravaged by war and conflict.

21. stefan un amigo todos Registered Senior Member

sancdkey: "Intolerance is a sign of an uneducated society Godless." hence why religious violence comes from those countries, and states, with poor education. once the world becomes fully educated, religion will be a thing of the past, and there will be a safer environment for all.
    cant wait!.

22. Dug-T Registered Senior Member

All religion is fucking bullshit for the simple reason being religious nuts cant grasp the simple concept of free thought, christians are taught they need to believe in god and go to church etc or they go to hell, + those mad muslims with their suicide bombing tendencies whats that all about? so they get to heaven... wtf cookoo....

23. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you are young Stefan, I don't mean this in derogative way, I fully want that too, however I don't see it happening within my life span. I'm 44 now, religious intolerance, ignorance is too widespread still.

Godless