If God doesn't want us to have sex, why does it feel so good?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mitch1984, Jun 26, 2003.

1. drnihili Registered Senior Member

Actually non-theistic moral codes tend to have a much firmer footing than theistic ones. Kant at least has an answer to the why questions. So does utilitarianism, to cite a very differenct code. Theistic codes always come back to "God said so", otherwise the wouldn't be theistic. But the basic problem with such an aproach was demonstrated by Plato a couple millenia ago. This is one reason why ethicists seldom appeal to God, even if they are theists. THe exception is in certain forms of applied ethics, where appeal to god is common. But typically such fields are more concerned with causistry than expounded moral law.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DefSkeptic Registered Senior Member

Fafnir665-

I see both sides, but I decided to settle on the one I felt was right. Yes others believe in a God and I dismiss their viewpoint because honestly I think they are wrong. I stick with what works and dismiss the unsubstantiated maybes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. New Life Registered Senior Member

I simply said that because other people have been extremely difficult about which God one is refering to. I simply said the christian God because imediately people know whcih version of God i am refering to. I believe we are all created by the same God, I was just trying to clarify

how utterly ubsurd for you to waste a post on such a stupid point

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Premarital/Extramarital sex

That is sooooooo Puritanical! Having sex has absolutely NOTHING to do with losing innocense. Sex is something that should be shared with someone you care about who also cares about you. It should be joyful and healing.

I'm not promoting promiscuity. Having sex with the wrong person or for the wrong reason can be hurtful to the soul. On the other hand, sex can heal the soul. Just use good sense, but never marry someone with whom you haven't slept. You may regret it later.

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I figure most of the marriage crud and all these taboos were made by men, not god.

9. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

If anyone can have sex with anybody then way Cant I kill anyone I want?

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What kind of absurd statement is that?

No one said that you should be able to RAPE anyone you want.

THAT would be a more similar statement.

11. PacingYourName Registered Senior Member

Why cant we rape?
    fuck the law. Point is maybe some other people need more then just a government too obey and keep morals in line. Thats were God comes in ....no?

12. Balerion Banned Banned

Ahh, finally. Someone who makes an intelligent point concerning religion. Ok, let me field this one...

I personally don't think that is why the Bible was written. I don't think the lawlessness was the cause of such a collection of works, simply because there were already laws in place, and the world was doing just fine for the thousands of years before the Bible was written.

In the case of Sex vs. God, I see the Bible's treatment of it as a way of trying to impress a moral code into the psyche of it's readers. The idea of gods have been around since our earliest ancestors, and what better was to hook the masses on an idea than to put in the mouth of a god? I will say one thing, and that casual sex can be dangerous, and the authors of the Bible must have realized this.

I'm not saying for one second that sex before marriage is wrong, amoral or that I don't partake in it, but just think of how the people who wrote this must have seen it; they were either cheated on by thier wives, or knocked their girlfriends up, and decided to caution the public, not to let the rest of the world suffer what they went through. And hey, it's not a bad idea to wait until you're married. There's nothing wrong with that. Marriage, or at least the idea of it, is to get yourself a man/woman, keep him/her, and stay with him/her for the rest of your life. Hence, marriage being (In theory) the best way to prevent all the baggaige that can come along with casual sex.

JD

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Is premarital sex bad?

Yes.

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Is premarital sex bad?

Yes.

15. doom Registered Senior Member

She thought it was a snake and bashed it with a stick.

16. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what you are promoting. How is 'sleeping with everybody you ever loved', not promiscuous. If you say it's in the intention, then why can't the Bible propose codes of conduct that regulates these intentions according to God's will?

17. Flores Registered Senior Member

Re: Premarital/Extramarital sex

Medicine Woman, you seem to reflect the western traditions and liberal cultures. I live in the USA, but it disgust me to see family values flushed down the toilet. We are living in a society where selfishness and the desire to try everything for oneself have completely degraded the familiy structure, a structure of respect for the mother and obtaining guidance from the father. But why would westerners respect their mothers, is she worthy of respect, afterall, she had her share of mistakes because she didn't listen to her mother and father, left the house at 18, had sex with whom she pleased and married the guy that finally accepted her, and she's paying for her mistakes now being isolated from her family and disrespected by her kids, and a westerner father, does he dare tell anyone what to do, no because we are in the business of diminishing all morals and fathers on the account that we know all shit and noone should dare use their experience to teach us.

Having sex is not about love or soul healing or none of that, it's about freedom and choice, something that is noble but is a bit abused in the west in the sense that it is not allocated to real areas that could benefit from such previledges.

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Premarital sex

Never would I promote illicit sex or promiscuity. However, the Bible condoned "premarital sex" calling it "being betrothed" before an actual "marriage ceremony" took place (i.e. Mary and Joseph). In most third world countries today, there is no rite of marriage. People choose whom they want and it is accepted by their community as a marriage. Marriage licenses/ceremonies were invented by men so they would have a public record of their "possessions"--their wife and any children who came forth after this event. Women were the first slaves, and we're still enslaved today.

Also, young teenagers having sexual relations risk not only STDs but can have severe emotional damage resulting from premarital sex. As I've said before, when a relationship doesn't work out, you're either with the WRONG PERSON or you're with a person for the WRONG REASON. If one would take the time to figure this out, sex wouldn't necessarily be a problem of promiscuity. Who would want to have sex with everyone they met? There is no way a human being could be that attracted to everyone they meet.

Instinctively, men have been given the genetic desire to procreate as often as possible. This was to ensure evolution. Women, on the other hand, can only procreate once every nine months. So women have a different genetic objective in procreation. While cavewomen were gestating, cavemen were out procreating all over the place. Well, we survived, didn't we?

I don't consider myself to be liberated--maybe just enlightened. As a young girl, I was afraid of the stigma of having sex, afraid I would be shamed at school, and worst of all, afraid of disappointing my parents (who would have killed me anyway). As a mother, I understood the perils of sex that my daughters, and son, would face as teenagers, and certainly tried to counsel them wisely. As a woman alone, I too faced sexual challenges and consequences. And as a grandmother, I face the same fears I had with my daughters--that they would make healthy and safe decisions regarding their bodies. Now the stigma of premarital sex has faded. In my day, my parents would have disowned me. I my daughters' day, I would have been more understanding. Now in the day of my grandchildren, I am more accepting. I guess it all comes with maturity.

In any event, sexual relations will go on until such time as the human being no longer requires procreation. Sex is a God-given need. When it is done in love and compassion for oneself and the other person (whatever their genders may be), then it is good and healthy, and it builds the spirit of God in one's temple.

By the way, have you ever read the Songs of Solomon? Some of that poetry was sexually stimulating. I'm sure even in Biblical days, those folks partook of sexual delights and weren't struck down for it! If it's God-given, it can't be bad. So lighten up all you prudes out there--learn to love yourselves and share your bodies with your loving partner!

19. Balerion Banned Banned

Only in the religious world, honey. Women get more rights than the men in some cases, actually, in todays Western society. Save the few pig-minded scumbags, women are hired based on the same criteria as men, and get the same amount of job oppertunities. (They sure do at UPS, anyway!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) In religion, women are treated like shit, bottom line. No wonder they are the stars of the pre-marital sex stories. You're all whores and slaves according to this "Loving God".

Of course she hasn't. And even if she had, she has no clue that it's in that context. I'll go out on a limb and say that 90% of religious people today have no f'n clue what they're talking about; few of them study their religion beyond what is read to them at church, and even fewer take the time to understand what the hell those things mean.

Exactly! I don't think this ideal in Christianity was (initially) meant to be taken as such a harsh law, so much as it was inteded to be a helpful tip on how to lead the safest life. (Not that it was 100% correct, but it was what they thought) But the way it's taken now, people feel guilty for falling asleep on their significant other's shoulder. I mean, COME ON!

JD

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Lilith, Adam's first wife

I just had a revelation! The reason that Lilith was 'written-out' of Genesis was probably because she liked sex and didn't have any hang-ups about it. She probably even invented sex! So, Moses had to rewrite the screenplay to put the blame on Eve for seducing innocent old Adam with an apple.

21. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

It seems that the role of Lilith as Adam’s original partner who refused to submit to Adam wasn’t added until quite a bit later (800-1000 CE). Prior to that she showed up in various roles . Still, the addition and the ‘lesson’ behind the story is a striking example of mysogeny.

"…He then created a woman for Adam, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while am to be in the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air. Adam stood in prayer before his Creator: 'Sovereign of the universe!' he said, 'the woman you gave me has run away.' At once, the Holy One, blessed be He, sent these three angles to bring her back. "Said the Holy One to Adam, 'If she agrees to come back, fine. If not she must permit one hundred of her children to die every day.' The angels left God and pursued Lilith, whom they overtook in the midst of the sea, in the mighty waters wherein the Egyptians were destined to drown. They told her God's word, but she did not wish to return. The angels said, 'We shall drown you in the sea.'”
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/Lilith/alphabet.html

Personally, I think that perhaps men should have tried to learn something about how not to treat women rather than twist it into the demonization of women. But then, Yahweh doesn’t seem to care much for equality.

More references:
    http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Topics/Lilith/
    http://www.webwinds.com/thalassa/adameve.htm#Lilith

~Raithere

22. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

It's a long, thin limb you are venturing on to. I have read Song of Solomon a few times, and it has a very special place in the Bible. It has survived canonization where other debatably less controversial books haven't. It is a praise of God's creation, love between a man and a woman, and also a parallel to God and the church.

If you read it, M*W, you will see that it is between one man and one woman. There is nothing wrong with sex. It sounds like the most recent knowledge you have about Christianity comes out of the Middle Ages. What is wrong is indiscriminate sex, infidelity, violence, and immorailty without regard to circumstances or consequences.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  23. Flores Registered Senior Member

Amen Raithere,

Women are created from a crooked bone and are not meant to be straightened to be like a man, only understood the way they were made.