If atheists are right - how come there are so few of them?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

If you know that the universe came into existence all on its own, then explain to me how exactly that happened. Of course, this is a rhetorical question - because you can't do it. But, please try . . .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In case you hadn't realised it, vermilion is a color.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And there you go again, moralising. Bad, bad theists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

why does how many people believe something make it more true?
    about millions of germans believed that jews were inferior creatures that should be eradicated,does this make it more true?

for hundreds of years people believed that the earth was the centre of the universe,did that make it more true?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Each person has the ability to analyze evidence and draw a conclusion. The more people who analyze evidence and draw the same conclusion - the greater the likelihood that something is true. This is why we have juries. The more people on the jury, the greater the likelihood of the jury's verdict being correct. This is a fundamental principle of the U.S. legal system. Obviously, juries can be wrong. Obviously, the predominent German belief system during WWII was wrong. However, these are exceptions - not the general rule. Otherwise, we should just get rid of juries, Congresses, Supreme Courts et cetera.

8. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

Since when do animals murder? Killing for food is not murder. They kill according to their need and it is the natural order of life.

I dont really see how animals rape or steal either, but even if they did, how do you know they don't consider it sinful? Did you ask them? Just becasue it happens doesnt mean that they dont consider it sinful. When people rape kill and steal they know it isnt right but they do it anyway.

9. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Again with your "popularity means its correct" fallacy.
    You know the difference between a "cult" and a "religion" is popularity right?
    You even mentioned yourself people take notice when the popular opinion turns out to be wrong - the earth being flat for example, another - the sun being the centre of the solar system - the Vatican didn't apologise and admit they were wrong to persecute Galileo until 1992!

There was a time when people were afraid of the Volcano god's. Even a time when people thought thunder meant "god was angry". Or that an eclipse meant "god was happy" and it was they had sacrificed enough people on the altar!! (ancient mayan/aztec tribes).

People today of course in shock, and also have a chuckle at their stupidity.
    I hope one day the children of the 22nd century look back in shock at all the killing carried out in the name of this opiate of the masses, this variety of popular cults, this "my god has a bigger dick than your god" delusion.

I don't mind if it gives you comfort and reminds you to think of the plight of others, I don't mind at all,
    but when people continue to label children, mutilate their genitals, indoctrinate them with lies, start wars, oppress people, and kill in the name of their beliefs we are going to continue to object with increasing defiance!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We've had these discussions before; animals rape, commit infanticide, kill other animals for fun.

11. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

I am not claiming popularity makes something correct. I am claiming that popularity is evidence that something is correct.

12. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

Therin lies the problem. If everyone that believed in God came to that conclusion on their own through their own analysis, then yes, it would gain credibility. But that is not how the belief is spread...it is forced on children who are too young to know reason and they are told what to do and they obey since children are impressionable and once the idea is firmly rooted in their mind and they are afraid of the punishment for doubting then they are beyond convincing.

I decided not to believe when I was about 16 years old, but I had been doubting for the previous 4 years or so but I was AFRAID to say anything about my doubts because it made me feel guilty and evil. Im just lucky that my parents understood because they aren't very religious either. Both of my parents have been Catholic their whole lives but I don't think they really believe, tehy just do it becasue it seems like the right thing to do. They go to church on christmas and easter only, dont pray, dont say grace at dinner. I strongly believe that there are many such people.

13. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

14. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

So do humans...does the fact that it happens mean that they are unaware of its immorality? No.

15. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

There is nothing suprising about doubting Christian faith. Jesus himself doubted on the cross, when he said "Father, why have you abandoned me?" Let's not forget Doubting Thomas. I think many if not most adults doubt their faith. That's not the point. The point is to believe despite your well founded doubts.

16. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

In criminal cases, the jury verdict needs to be unanimous. In civil case, it can be less, but usually at least 75%.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Do they always get the the verdict 100% correct?

18. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

LOL, that seems like a backward mindset to follow. Just keep on believing, regardless of what logic, evidence, and your gut tell you.

19. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Apparently, despite complimenting Hinduism on certain issues, I've made a serious error by assuming the dot was "red" instead of it actually being "vermilion" which admittedly I had to look up. Thank you for enlightening another male on the different words for the many finer shades of colours, I'll file it away along with teal, fuchsia, mauve.

And apparently, by denouncing the small dick hypersensitivity of a number of fanatics who can't cope with a few cartoons so go bashing people and burning embassies, (its no surprise these religions need to oppress their women - so insecure!) I'm being bad by moralising. Yeah I am moralising! I'm not just an atheist, I'm a humanist too and I don't believe in violence for the sake of beliefs in the tooth fairy, the boogey-man, or any other characters from popular fiction.

"Oooh you insulted my warlord paedophile hero! I'm going to set you alight!"
    "Oooh she questioned the actions of god! She's a witch! Burn her at the stake! Show them the love of Jesus with bombs and depleted uranium!"
    "Ooh those goyims don't understand our superior way of life! Lets enslave them and exploit them like cattle, send them to war for us, or fly over them with our aircraft and bomb their civilians!"
    "Ooh that woman's husband has died, she is now a widow, and her life is useless. Lets burn her on the funeral pyre!"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Cocaine, heroin and crack are "popular" drugs.

Aliens visiting Earth is a "popular" belief.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wow, you proved my point!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks, militant athiest

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There is no such thing as a militant atheist.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes there is; aggressive promotion of anti-theism is a militant action.

mil·i·tant (mĭl'ĭ-tənt) pronunciation
    adj.

1. Fighting or warring.
    2. Having a combative character; aggressive, especially in the service of a cause: a militant political activist.