i wonder...

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Lori_7, May 20, 2010.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

purrr...

i wouldn't discount the human condition entirely though. i wouldn't see why our mental mechanics couldn't predisposition us, or even sometimes cause or allow us, to experience very real and meaningful things, that some other people can't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

in contrast, terminology like "brain glitch" and "out of sync" don't scream anything scientific or empirical at all, if that condition can't be identified and described (better than that).

to crunchy and dywyddyr...did these experiences prompt you to go to the doctor to investigate what might be going on biologically?

the stuff i was testifying to when going through my experience prompted my parents to ask me to have a cat scan of my brain. i did, and it was normal.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

I believe in supernatural events. I believe in both demonic stalking and posession as well as both physical and psychological attacks. Because its happend to me. Its been happening to me and happens about 4 to 6 times a week since I was about 7. Wether hearing strange noises to be thrown on the ground. Its something that I think most people have happen to them but block it out or dis credit it because they fear and do not understand it. I believe that there are many cases that people who are demonicaly possesed are mistakenly consedered to have psychosis. And that some people can devolpe many different psychological dieases and illnesses because of tramitic expresiences.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

in regards to "crackpots", why do you think that assigning meaning to experience is crazy?

8. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

No response for me?
    Suuuuucks

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yeah, i agree with you. do you feel helpless against these experiences? would you think there might be a way to control them? is there any way to fight back? do you see any meaning in them? and what has this done to you in a personal sense? in regards to development and how you live your life...your perception?

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

hey you,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

No I do not. I believe in Jesus Christ and God as much as I do in Satan and fallen angels (demons.) The last thing you want to do is try to control them, these are more powerful forces than we can fathem. Call out to Jesus is the best way in my view. They end as soon as I do. Sometimes I believe that it is a way that God is trying to get your attention, using the concept that"if I can show you the dark it may help prove to you that there is a light." Sometimes its Satan trying to scare you. Sometimes its for other reasons.
    Its made me closer to God and more educated on demonology and psycholigy. I've also become very decesored to fear and worry.

12. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

:b.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Nope.

Because I understand how schizophrenia works.

That would be incorrect; however, it is not important. What is important is noting the following:

* There is no external source of the music/sound. This can be verified by using an audio recorder.
    * The music/sound is hallucinatory. This can be verified by going into areas with wildly differing accoustics and noting that the music/sound doesn't change accordingly.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think its a bizarre mutation beyond existing mutations in the human population. The experience is consistent with schizophrenia with the exception of the nature of the hallucinations. The majority of schizophrenia hallucinations are voices; however, some people get other kinds of hallucination (music/sound is documented to be one of those kinds).

I don't see why that is even relevant but... ok.

Well the "scientist" component says "hey, this is hallucination". As to exploring the exact mechnaics of my particular hallucinations with my particular brain, I don't hold enough interest to change careers to pursue neurology.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

While I can't expand on Dywydder's use of "brain glitch", "out of sync" is a very accurate term to describe a brain affected by schizophrenia. For someone unfamiliar with the mechanics, it might seem a little too abstract/uninformative. To expand on it a little, a schizophrenic brain doesn't operate with consistently timed electrical pulses that a non-schizophrenic brain does. By anaology it's like having a radio that is slighly off-station.

Yep. I was asked how long I have had the experiences, if the experiences have interfered with my life in any way, and if they have gotten "worse" in any way.

The answers were "Since I was little", "No", and "No". He then recommended me to a psychologist. After evaluation my doctor gave me the final results. He said that I am mentally healthy and that if the hallucinations don't bother me then I have nothing to worry about.

CT scans can only detect physical abnormalities. For example, if you have schizophrenia because of brain chemistry, a CT scan wont be able to detect anything.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh you're making assumptions again.
    I didn't say, or imply, that they can't be identified better than that. What I did was give my wording (and I'm neither a fully-trained psychologist nor a neurologist).

No. I felt no need.

You failed to read again. I didn't say assigning meaning makes them a crackpot, I said "significant meaning". I.e. considering it to be a message from god &c...

Well one of those subjects is valid in the real world, the other isn't.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm confused. at first you're describing symptoms of schizophrenia, and then you say that you're diagnosed mentally healthy. so, are you diagnosed schizophrenic or not? i assume there is a way to test the timing of these electrical impulses so a proper diagnosis can be made?

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A clear "yes" to a schizophrenia diagnosis wasn't possible because I have so few symptoms (audio-hallucination only); however, I was evaluated as being mentally healthy nonetheless. I suspect that I have a very mild form of schizophrenia, but apparently mild versions can be difficult to positively diagnose.

The clinical research that resulted in that particular discovery hasn't produced any tools that doctors can use for diagnostic purposes (at least not to my knowledge). Other researchers have found minute brain structure size differences (ex. smaller hippocompus and larger ventricles) when observing the brains of identical twins (one with schizophrenia and one without). Other research has shown people with shizoprenia have duplications and / or deletions of genetic material in their genes. There have been other discoveries as well. All of them combined will probably lead to better objective diagnostic tools (and possibly cures) in the future. But we're not there yet.

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't dream of suggesting a sudden career change, however to me the subject is an interesting one because I look at it from a "Transhumanist" perspective. My beliefs will seem unusual to the current Psychiatry community because there consensus was formulated on observation without the understanding that technology could play a vital role.

How can I put it without it sounding as odd as it probably will sound?!?. I reason that every person on this planet could have a symbiotic intelligence, partially "organic" merged with artificial intelligence. The reason I say this is because one of the main concerns that every person has, is their own mortality.

What ways are their to "cheat death" or prolong life? Well obviously there's a lot of medical research into that area, however it's all to Mary Shelley for me with organ transplantation etc.

Afterall the nature of organic systems is usually to breakdown organically over time, so trying to fend off what is inevitable is, for lack of a finer description... "pointless".

So lets say Scientists go for the grail and decide to extend our lives by moving us to a cybernetic future. This is great for the kids of those that make the equipment, but it's a little unfair to put loads of work in and not actually get anything yourself out of it, after all it's about "mortality", whats the point in martyring a lifetime of work for someone else.

This is why I don't think psychiatrists get it, such systems would indeed be "retroactive". This means that a future technology is applied in the here and now, a regular grandfathers paradox. Like any paradox however it too would suffer a fluctuating state until it's either identified as being the overall goal or denied by those that either fear it or don't understand it. (A Wavefunction collapse if you will.)

I would go into more detail but to most of you, you'll either not be interested, won't understand or have other agenda's that you'd prefer to fill, so I won't waste any more of peoples time on it.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think discussions about such topics are psychologically and philosophically very complex.

For example, I, in othe other hand, wouldn't expect that anyone would want to talk, on a public forum, to a bunch of strangers, about what they felt were "paranormal experiences".

Everyone could be right, given the parameters they individually operate from. It's just that usually, we don't know all those parameters.

Someone said that the basis for all communication is misunderstanding.
    If we would understand eachother perfectly from the beginning on, there would, paradoxically, be little or no communication.

I think there are always good reasons for why people engage in what appears like destructive behaviors.
    And that it is impossible to just give them up, even when one sees they are destructive.

With superior knowledge.

Left to ourselves, we are limited to our own experiences, the accounts of experiences of others, and to logical reasoning. We see, on a daily basis, how this kind of knowledge cannot truly satisfy our desire to understand.

It is only a knowledge that comes from a superior source that can.

It is hard to be open-minded if you're not sure whether it is worth it.

Society is relative, it changes. As such, it cannot give ultimate guidance.
    Being normal by the standards of an abnormal society means to be abnormal.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

As far as I know, you do not go to church, nor are you a member of a religious community.

If this is indeed the case, I would suggest you check out some churches and temples, of different religious traditions.

I think it would make for an interesting and useful experience for you, as you could witness first-hand how nuanced the discussion about "paranormal topics" is even among those people who nominally have the same or similar "paranormal experiences" as yourself.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it's great that you're closer to god, have increased knowledge about such things, and are not afraid. have you ever thought that you're being prepared for something? toughened up for a reason?

do you know that you can command these beings in the name of jesus? i was shown this in a lucid awake dream once, and i've commanded plenty. would you be able to make them cease entirely do you think? have you ever tried?

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

have you ever felt inclined to write the music down or record it? play it? to learn how?

also, is this a selective thing? selective schizophrenia? is there such a thing?