I was threatenened by S.A.M. , a forum member, he said he would chop my head off.

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by fellowtraveler, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

You just wasted a good meal then....:bugeye:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sam's new avatar:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Off with his head!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I love it!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And catskins make great banjo heads.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

uhhh, pay attention SAM! this matter has already been addressed:

"Originally Posted by parmalee

but i was referring to the cat himself--unless we are referring to schroedinger's cat; in which case, we do indeed have a problem."

in this instance, we do indeed have a problem. moreover, there is the issue of the metanarrative: by some (many? most?) i am expected to prove that which i believe--am i obliged to accept this stipulation? well, i reckon so--according to some (many? most?)--but not according to me. and of course, by "proof" i am intending such in the soft sense. regardless, i will not and i shall not (same thing? hell if i know.).

edit: my bad. i see that you are addressing the conscience and not the cat himself. still, i stand by my claim (was there a claim?).

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There you go! :bugeye:

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

There was when I last looked.
    Then I took my eyes off it for a second and it's not there now.

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

still, we have the matter of "lopping off the head, " conditional aside--and for the sake of argument, "lopping" will be synonymous with "chopping": is this not merely a means of dissolving the dispute? and note: i mean dissolving, not resolving.

SAM, while she is indeed employing english as her medium, is nevertheless of an other tribe, if you will, and the issue here should be obvious: ostensive definitions and perhaps, an inevitable schizophrenic reading--on our part (or perhaps, fellowtraveler's). i am by no means suggesting that SAM is employing a "private language" (though i do not necessarily deny the possibility for such), as the "words" employed are words which we recognize.

i feel obliged to defer to the sapir-whorf hypothesis yet again, whether one acknowledges a soft understanding of such or a hard understanding is inconsequential: the piraha tribe of south america (brazil?) cannot count. efforts to introduce counting and numerical systems to them have proven futile, for such would be of no use in their respective context anyways. take a tribe's member out of his element, and what "understanding" might ensue? your guess is as good as mine.

and so we have this tension between SAM and fellowtraveler--what of it? hell if i know. i am (usually) not so arrogant as to suppose that i might even "know." and herein lies the problem.

case closed.

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

perhaps you should look again--and try not to take your eyes off of it this time! is there a claim? i do not feel that i can offer an "objective" opinion (heh) in this matter, and i must defer to others.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Closure and redirect

Mod Hat — Closure and redirect

Well, at least this one provided some entertainment.

And, S.A.M., love the new avatar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.