I need some major help in Literature

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by S. Dalal, Jun 6, 2003.

1. S. Dalal Mathamatics is my life Registered Senior Member

I have been assigned to write a paper connecting the theme of memory and desire between The Great Gatsby and Death of a Salesmen. I chose Willy and Gatsby, but I can't seem to find any connections that relate to the topic!!! Can anyone offer me some insight into what I can do?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slaughterist Mayhem Activist Registered Senior Member

I have only read Death of a Salesman and it was some time ago. Didn't Willy desire to be someone important and for his sons to be important? He kept exaggerating the importance of his job and how successful his sons were going to be. He was also obsessed with the past. Willy fantasized about his brother who went into the jungle and became rich off diamonds and fantasized about his being a great football player. That should get you started.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S. Dalal Mathamatics is my life Registered Senior Member

Thats all true, however I need to find a way to relate it to The Great Gatsby. There are alomst no instances in which Gatsby memory ties in with his desires. But thank you very much. I did forget about Willy fantising about Ben (his rich brother).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Slaughterist Mayhem Activist Registered Senior Member

I just checked Sparknotes for the Great Gatsby. Both Jay and Willy desire to be someone great and are also fakes. They try to appear to be someone other than who they really are.
    Memory... well I guess you could say that Jay wants to return the situation of the past when Daisy loved him. So he's fixed on the past and memories in that way. Similar to the way that Willy is fixated on the past when he fantasizes about how much better it was then. Both characters missed out on an opportunity, in one case the girl then in the other the diamonds and riches.