I have a question and hope that some of you could answer

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Enoc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Enoc Registered Senior Member

Why is it that some people are immune to pain and others (like me for example) experience very severe pain even at a very small tissue injury?

Does it mean that there is some kind of guiding hand like Satan or an evil spirit for example that causes some people to experience tremendous pain even at the a very small injury while other people are completely immune to it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

No.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Pain tolerance is influenced by people's emotions, bodies, and lifestyles. Here are several factors that Grabois says can affect pain tolerance:
    • Depression and anxiety can make a person more sensitive to pain.
    • Athletes can withstand more pain than people who don't exercise.
    • People who smoke or are obese report more pain.
    Biological factors -- including genetics, injuries such as spinal cord damage, and chronic diseases such as diabetes that cause nerve damage -- also shape how we interpret pain."====http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/whats-your-pain-tolerance

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jake Arave Ethologist Registered Senior Member

If I were you, I would avoid using the word "Satan" in questions.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Some of it is genetic. For instance, it is said that autistic people feel physical pain less.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The worst pain is a paper cut.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Which are caused by Satan.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The worst pain is isn't caused by any supernatural beings but is caused by your own nerves and pain receptors in your brain. Some people can detach themselves from the pain but that is very hard to learn.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

Pain becomes conscious to us via the brain. Pain is local to the cut. Rather signals from nerves near the cut, are sent to the brain. These signals are then interpreted by the brain, as pain at a specific location. Consciousness of pain comes down to the mind, and how the mind interpret these particular nerve signals. Some people like pain and will interpret this with a pleasure reaction; firmware cross.

I remember going to a mind control course when I was young; Silva Mind Control. One of the skills they taught was controlling pain. I may have been hypnotized, but after the course, all I had to say was, gone, gone, gone and pain would go away in minutes. I could shut off pain, because these command lines told the brain to shut off the awareness. Today anticipation of pain is worse for me that the actual pain; needles. The actual pain seems less than the expectation. Luckily for me, these are not integrated within my mind to amplify the real pain signal.

Satan would be symbolic of a renegade aspect of the personality firmware, that is amplifying the brains reactions to the incoming pain signals. This is causing a larger chain reaction in the brain than should be. This is where something analogous to anticipation and real time pain signals integrate. Pain control may involve command lines like prayer. If the anticipation pain is shut off, the real pain is more manageable.

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Which are caused by Satan.
    Ahah
    The devil ain't in the details. The devil is along the edge of the paper.
    Thanx for that clarificational fiction.
    Long ago, I had a friend who was addicted to endorphins ---he would pick fights as a means of feeling pain, then getting high on endorphins.
    When little bumps and scrapes that would normally go unnoticed cause pain, it usually means that I am ill----

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

There's an old joke about stopping a headache by dropping a hammer on your foot. We can be distracted from pain, sometimes quite easily. That's why pain is often at its most annoying when you're trying to sleep, when you have few distractions and are "forced" to think about the pain.

cosmictraveler likes this.
  15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"The apparent intent of the delegation's hosts was to demonstrate the effectiveness of traditional Chinese medicine -- in this case, acupuncture as surgical anesthesia. According to Dr. Rosenfeld, as the contingent stood in an empty operating room at the University of Shanghai, a 28-year-old female patient was wheeled in. While the group observed, the woman was prepped for "open-heart surgery" to repair her mitral valve. "Her only 'anesthetic' was an acupuncture needle in her right earlobe that was connected to an electrical source."2 In his book, Rosenfeld says that acupuncture "needles" [plural] were placed in her "left" earlobe. (He explained to us that this "was a typo, which was not picked up since I did not use the photo" in the book.)

The woman remained awake and alert as, according to his book, "the surgeon . . . cut through the . . . breastbone with an electric buzzsaw [and] her chest was split in two [and] spread apart with a large clamp to expose the heart." The photograph in Parade (it does not appear in the book) shows an attractive, smiling face and a small operative field visible through the surgical drapes. Added Rosenfeld in Parade, "She never flinched. There was no mask on her face, no intravenous needle in her arm."

While acupuncture has its adherents in the West, even now, twenty-plus years after this remarkable demonstration, few of them would profess its efficacy for deep surgical anesthesia. Dr. Rosenfeld informed us that even his hosts had expressed to him their general preference for Western anesthesia: "They use this [acupuncture] technique in only a minority of patients."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...34C4AQ&usg=AFQjCNGCxzAkzzAugKHc4UUHM4hC6oG26Q

16. Enoc Registered Senior Member

There's still a lot we don't know about how the human body works. And a lot of the stuff that they teach in biology is just wrong.

I mean who really knows: Maybe Satan or some supernatural force designed the human body making some people stronger and healthier and also more immune to pain than others.

I mean no one really knows.