I eat meat

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Carcasm, Jul 29, 2006.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

We are not designed for rape? I'd be willing to bet that a significant percentage of all sex from the dawn of time would be defined using present standards as rape.

For most of human history, whenever an army would pass thru they would rape and pillage. To this day it's a problem. Rape is completely natural, it is only a thin veneer of civilization that prevents it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think you are splitting hairs. You probably don't see shark rape as "real rape" because sharks don't have the ability to come together and generally agree that "it is wrong." Whether rape is wrong or not, it happens in both humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. Humans are the only ones that place a moral label on it.

I think it just depends on the species and whether rape actually helps promote the species or not. I am not sure if pact dogs rape but I know humans don't need to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. patty-rick Registered Senior Member

I still dont think its the right word for the animal kingdom where the morals dont apply

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Morals don't apply for people either, we are just raised to think they do. Every person has their own set of morals deep in their mind, we only coinside with certain morals because they are forced upon us.

8. patty-rick Registered Senior Member

Morals apply to me and how i view my world speak for yourself

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Evolution doesn't care about promoting the species.

10. patty-rick Registered Senior Member

refine that comment, because it sounds like one of the most incorrect comments I've heard... im just worried im missing something

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The basic unit of evolution is the organism (or if you reductionist, the gene) and not the species.

Unless you believe in species selection of course, which I do not.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, no rape is not natural. It's an assertion of power and dominance having nothing to do with lust and everything to do with making someone suffer. In some cases to make a whole group suffer. Rape affects bot the attacker, the attacked , and witnesses in numerous ways. Some physical and some psychological. Overall these are detrimental to the species.

If we were designed for it we would not have the instinctual reactions we do. How many of you actually have your stomach turned just hearing about rape? How many of you have wanted to get a rapist alone and kick the crap out of him? How many of you have wondered would a jury convict you for killing a rapist? I will bet that most of you have and that even the pacifist have considered it.

As for what some people call rape in the wild. one small problem Rpae is done for power. Forced mating is a evolutionary tool used by nature to make sure only the strongest breed.

BTW in a pack animal, like humans, Evolution is a society wide phenomenom. A small change does occur in an individual, but if that change is detritmental to the group it is culled out even if it was beneficial to the individual.

13. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

1. Maybe vegetables and fruits also have feelings. Perhaps they even have more feelings than animals.

2. Someone said that it would be right to eat a cow that died of old age. Would it also be right to eat a human that died of old age then?

How can it happen in nature then? Maybe nothing can be unnatural because everything is nature.

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt eat a cow that died of age any more than i would eat one that was slaughtered, as i dont need to. as for not eating humans that die of old age, well that seems to be a stigma of our society, not a natural thing, there is a tribe in new guinea that still practices eating their dead relatives(do a google on 'kuru virus' and youll find it)

even if vegetables were sentient, and able to 'feel' pain(yes we all know they react to stimuli) by eating vegetables, we are reducing our slaughter rate by 90%. so is it wrong to kill 10 to save 100?

15. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

best to do like yogis, and eat nothing. then no one is harmed.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That's one of those "facts" that's thrown around. What is it based on? Rape is wrong, I'm not disputing that of course. But I've never believed this BS about rape not being about sex.

Rape is having sex without the women's consent. Forcibly taking that which you have no right to. Theft is taking property without the consent of the owner. No one says theft is about power or making someone suffer. Why is rape so different?

Men have a strong need/desire for sex. Why is that not motivation enough? Even if this dominance/power crap is part of it, lust certainly has something to do with it!

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

No. We evolved to be able to eat meat. That isn't the same as design. Moreover, evolution doesn't dictate moral behaviour. Ever heard the phrase "nature, red in tooth and claw"?

You still haven't grasped what the naturalistic fallacy is, even after all this time.

Some studies have suggested that meat eaters suffer a number of health risks that vegetarians do not.

The meat eater eats meat because he likes the taste. That hurts the species he eats. Of course, you don't care about that, because to you humans are the only important species, because you figure you're human and you're automatically important.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

madanthonywayne:

How do you explain the raping of 90 year olds?

Lust?

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Good question. Perhaps in that case it may be that lust has little to do with it. On the other hand, some people are turned on by wierd shit. Sometimes literally.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well to you.. you are thinking about the definitions of the words. Definitions of words are up to us... but the actual idea in consideration is either true or not.