I eat meat

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Carcasm, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

Does it make me evil that I eat meat?
    Don't get me wrong...I have a problem with the meatpacking industry and I don't like seeing things die, but does this make me EEEEVIL?? A lot of vegetarians seem to think they're better than me because I like steak.

WHY?

Have you ever heard of the circle of life?
    If I sleep with a down pillow, am I evil?
    What about eating a cow that died of old age?

Are you just plain bigoted?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yes, vegetarians: would it be ok to eat a cow that died of old age!?? No cruelty involved there, surely?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

Um, interesting arguments your website has. They inadvertently say that we have aspects of both herbivores and carnivores, but then somehow jump back to "we are not designed to eat meat".

How can you say that the human incisors aren't made for meat-eating when that is what we use them for? Gorillas have canines too, yes, and they don't use them to eat meat, true (probably used for the same thing as their muscles: dominance). That doesn't mean that human canines aren't used for meat- they are. This is irrefutable.

Oh and I love this argument:
    Haha- "true carnivore". haha.
    We invented sharp tools thousands of years ago. How else do you think we catch animals today? We also have teeth called incisors, made for tearing flesh. If we aren't designed to catch or eat animals, then why have we evolved to do so??
    We are incomparable to other carnivores for many reasons, but mostly because we walk on two feet, have opposable thumbs, are much more intelligent, and use weapons to kill animals.

Okay then. Next argument:
    That's because we're smart enough to kill diseases and bacteria in the meat. And we're high class about our food. I put salad dressing and bacon bits on my salad, and wash it thoroughly... am I no longer a veggie-eater? We're not dogs, okay?

Oh and my favorite argument of all, quoted from Eugene Khutoryansky (don't ask, I don't know):
    Dude, I CAN'T even respond with this argument because...because they've painted me into a corner with "rape" and "infanticide"! GAWD! So there's my answer- I AM that evil.

Thank you for posting that website, Absane. That is exactly what I was talking about.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You might like to check out the thread in the Ethics forum titled "Is eating meat morally wrong?". Your question has been discussed quite extensively there.

9. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

thanks, James R. I should have posted it there. Woops! Maybe someone will move it to a juicier location for me?

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

The reason I posted that website is because I find it just hilarious. Basically they try to justify the their view that eating meat is unethical by using scientific evidence. I thought it was good enough to bookmark and save for just an occassion.

lol.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh and the argument that we cannot eat raw meat. That is total bull. Look up the Spartan Health Regime. It's a sysem based on exercise and eating plants, fruits, vegatables, and raw meat. No one has died from it. In fact, those that stick to it say they haven't felt so great in their life.

It's quite interesting.

12. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I figured no one here was dumb enough to take that seriously.
    It sure riled me up though.

13. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

eh, we've evolved to prefer cooked meat for a reason. These days we know how to safely eat raw meat. But back in the day you can see how cooking your hunt over the fire became the preferred method.
    Actually, another good argument would be about the health benefits of raw meat over any other kind of diet.
    You gotta watch out for websites like that being just as cracked out as the vegetarian one though.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well I have never ate raw meat. The closest I get is a medium steak. I was told it doesn't taste that bad... but I would not like to try.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We have not "evolved" to prefer cooked meat. We haven't bred enough generations since the mastery of fire for our DNA to have drifted.

High heat breaks down tissue and makes both the conscious flavors and the pheromones of meat more available, so the flavor (about 90 percent of which is actually smell, not taste) becomes more compelling. Just give your dog a choice of raw or cooked meat. He'll make the same decision for the same reason, and his ancestors have only been eating it for a mere 13,000 years.

Other technologies much newer than fire have been used to create foods that appeal to our primitive senses. How about the 19th-Century mixture of industrially refined sugar and chemically extracted cocoa mass that we call "chocolate"?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

If you'd be growing your own chickens, etc., you could appeal to the "circle of life" thing. Since you are consuming products of commercial agriculture&feedlots, destroying the very circle of life you are appealing to, you've got "justification" problems.

I'm not a vegetarian, I eat meat quite rarely, but still I eat it. I've had a few opportunities to visit a few commercial beef/chicken/swine feedlots. That's why my meat consumption rate fell down 4000%. Not because I'm a superkind guy or something, but because those farms are DISGUSTING monuments of human avarice, shortsightedness, moral depravity, etc., etc., etc. They are disgusting period. the sheer thought that one is eating the products of those farms should be vomit inducing.

If industrial farming vegeterians think they are much more "moral" than the rest, I would suggest them to visit commercial crop fields. Since most of the vegeterians are way too withdrawn from land, I shall say that sterile fields barren of any plants/weeds, etc. but cashcrop are 10000% unnatural and, I might add, scary. Just think how many tonnes of chemicals was sprayed onto those fields. Think what those chemicals have done to the life. Wanna become a barren,cancerous impotent? Get into industrial farming

Seems, the only "Moral" choice these days is to grow your food yourself.

17. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

If a gene suddenly expresses itself in order for us to be able to digest cows milk (not everyone of course) when our ancestors started drinking it why would it not be possible for the something similar to occur in regards to cooked meat?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What gene is this that helps digest cow's milk?

19. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Not sure. The change is mentioned in the preamble for the Wikipedia - Lactose Intolerance page. I've heard or read a few times that humans were not always able to digest milk and the ability occured around the same time we started herding cows...

20. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Sure, you eat meat.
    So do I....

But would you go ass to mouth?

21. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Kids these days, they even go ass to mouth.

... I'm so sorry, Jesus.

22. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

Must evolution always be in the sense of DNA?
    Cannot culture evolve?

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well sure. Mutation does not happen at a steady rate when you get down to this level. A gene changes and you've got new DNA.
    Well sure to that one too. But you're in the science forum here, so most of us are probably going to presume that you're using your words with scientific precision.

But my point is that we have not "evolved" to prefer cooked meat at all. As I said, even a dog will choose cooked meat because the cooking amplifies the flavor and makes it more appealing. Cooked meat appeals to our natural instincts.