"I could care less"

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Laika, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

i shall reword...paragraphs in english begin with an indentation or a break aka spaces
    uhh, you now pose as gambler of some note? you ask me to take your judgement as infallible? i find that, absolutely delusional
    strawman. missing the fucking point, you decide to deliberately troll. how predictable
    hmmm
    lets deconstruct this observation.

stupid: you lack judgement, you have a preference for slumming. an affinity for the company of these allegedly inferior intellects would make your mediocre one look good by comparison.

boring: a pathological obsession is obviously at play here.

if that is too complicated, allow me to speak in a language you will understand....if that is the case, feel free to fuck off

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

absolutely. as a denizen of the internet, i am aghast at my omission

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is interesting that the stonger, more emotional protests in relation to correct English usage come from those opposed to such usage, rather than those supporting it. The protesters seem to perceive structure as stricture, and run pell mell away from such constraint. One wonders if they are so ill-disciplined in their private lives.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh, you are overeager
    you miss the point entirely

"correct english usage" is a moving target. the language is not static. it evolves.a relevant example would be the excessive use of majuscules in older forms of english. if you were to be transposed to such a time, i would expect you to be defending that capitalization of say...every third word?

case in point...an attempt to modernize

Capitals should be used sparingly but consistently. When in doubt use lower case letters. Capitals should be used for eg King Henry VIII, the Duke of Newcastle, Sir John Byron, Newstead Priory, the White Hart, Broxtowe Hundred, the Poor Law Board, Anglo-Saxon, Cistercian Ware, Bronze Age, but not for ‘the king’ or for kings, dukes, etc in general. Note also ‘18th century’, ‘north Nottinghamshire’, and east Midlands’. link

i personally know lots of mutts that will capitalize words that reference the cardinal points. heh

now
    a movement to eliminate majuscules in its entirety is not exactly illogical when presented in the context of an evolving language along with its apparent trends. it is even more so when it is obvious that punctuation renders it practically redundant. as for names.....my, are we not unique and special! dump em along with all forms of honorifics.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

If I thought you could actually speak Chaucerian English I might be more impressed. The British do not have the equivalent of the French Academy. That is why English is today the lingua franca - I trust even you can see the irony in that.
    Change should be for the better. Capitialisation provides an important complement to punctuation. If you knew anything about linguistics you would know that semantic redundancy is a prerequisite of effective communication.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

slipping are we?
    ever thought about the implications of being...."more impressed?"
    you do indulge in that kind of activity, ja?

cheers, niggy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Gustav Banned Banned

that is an absolutely fabulous non sequiter. it would be truly hard to find a more muddled thought process or how widely divergent an argument can get from the original and actual, issue at hand. i believe if i were to remain silent, you would happily move on in utter bliss, wholly ignorant of your error

it is however, your bad luck that your sense of well being is something i would gladly drop to the pavement and madly kick at

a question....

*what relationship do you posit between synonyms aka symantical redundancy, and the moronic convention of initializing words with an uppercase letter due to its positioning in a sentence or a characterization as a proper noun?

lets look less superficially, at this "redundancy". for instance....student vs pupil. the redundancy is true in a technical sense but is defintely not the case in application or usage as one usually occurs in a fairly specific context while the other is a bit more generalized. this is not to say that one cannot substitute for the other but the application of the word in an unfamiliar juxtaposition or context usually tends to raise the ire or puzzle those familiar with english

a pupil of literature? never
    a 50yr old pupil? impossible

do you see?
    or would you like more examples?

yes, i suppose it does to those that have a affinity to flashy and gaudy imagery that satifies some deep seated emotional need rooted in a sense of the familiar. how very childish.

the need for this "complement" is akin to having a preference to the garish and colorful neon lights of las vegas as opposed to soft and muted lighting, or perhaps it is to ad campaigns from madison ave that exists solely to influence and manipulate, the weak, superficial and easily swayed amongst us.

i mean....a good example would be a thread by this maggot... United States vs Baron Max: A Charge Of High Treason. look at the words strut around like some filthy whore blatantly baring her deceased cunt with a puffed up air of self importance for all to see. how fucking pathetically ludicrous must one be to parade their insecurities in such a retarted and needy manner?

We also Seek and Request the Investigation to be All Encompassing and without Limitations in its Scope in Order to Uncover Collaborators and Conspiracies

funny fucking retarted shit, ja?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  11. duendy Registered Senior Member

As I follow all the laws of punctuation and literary requirements, i need not even feel the need to comment, but just like to say

WELCOMEBACk GusTAVO!...yeahhhhhh

12. Gustav Banned Banned

why, thankee kindlee

i wonder if the mighty jamesr will ban for referring to myself as a maggot
    or perhaps he will pretend there is no pov presented and delete

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

what we waaaant
    what we neeeeeeed.......in these tiiimes
    is space where we can be freeeeeeeeeeeeee

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

You're damn right.

I cannot stand phrases like "I could give two (expletives)" and "cheap at half the price" that are completely illogical and sprang from ignorance, but for some reason continue to be proliferated....

That is why I love to correct people who utter these incorrect phrases. It has won me so many friends, too. LOL, if only.

15. Far far better Registered Member

Cheap at half the price?

I've always heard it the other way around. Cheap at twice the price.
    I was about to explain the meaning of the phrase because I thought perhaps you simply didn't understand it. Had the wrong perspective on it, so to speak. But then I realized that you didn't say it right.
    I've never heard it said as you've said it. You have?

I was then planning on using another phrase to illustrate how a phrase that seems completely nonsensical can have an utterly logical and simple meaning if looked at correctly.
    A stitch in time saves nine.
    I'd always been confused by that saying my entire life. Then, one day, it dawned on me exactly what it meant. By putting in a single stitch (into a worn fabric) in time saves you from having to put in ten stitches later.

But, you took that chance from me. And I'll hate you for it until my last breath. I hate you. From the heart of hell I stab at thee. For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Kiiiiirrrrrk!!!!!

16. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

That was my point...."cheap at half the price" is completely illogical.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's not the genesis of the phrase, and to top it off it's been muddled.

It's: "A bargain at half the price."

Meaning: What you see for sale here is a bargain. But wait, it's better than that. The price is half of its normal price. It's "a bargain" at "half the price."

"I could care less" was originally spoken with a drawn-out, disgusted tone of voice. It was sarcastic. People lost the sense of it and started saying it with a normal inflection. The "not" has been elided in a strange linguistic turn of events.

Perhaps English speakers are unconsciously going off in a direction opposite that of languages like Spanish, in which double negatives are required. "Yo no sé nada," literally "I don't know nothing," means "I don't know anything." The double negative is grammatically correct. "Yo sé nada" might be understood or it might just be confusing.

French has the same construction, "Je ne sais rien." I think colloquial French is starting to throw off the shackles of the Academy. Céline Dion has a song titled, "Je Sais Pas" instead of "Je Ne Sais Pas." (Coming full circle, I have no idea what the rules are in French regarding capitalization within titles. I'm just winging it.)

But in English, instead of cluttering up the sentence with a second negative, we simplify the sentence by removing the original negative. Isn't that efficient!

18. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Fraggle, I'm sorry, but the "experts" contradict you on both of those. Are you by any chance american? (in the politest way possible)....it is WIDELY accepted that "I could not care less" is the correct version and anything else that comes with excuses such as "it's meant to be ironic" is just hurt pride in action.

I don't buy your explanation for "A bargain at half the price" either....and neither would a lot of people who have written a lot of books on the etymology of a lot of phrases such as those two.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

When I use, and I do, the expression Cheap At Half The Price*, I use it as an ensemble piece: the meaning cannot be derived by deconstructing the phrase, examining the syntax, or exploring the lexicology, but rather through its usage and context.
    For me it has a feel of irony about it, designed to make the listener pause, think about the logic, recognise the ambiguity, then return to consider the actual value of the item under consideration. Complex? So are ze leetle grey cells and ze work zey do.

*Capitalisation added for the benefit of A Vast Gut.

20. Gustav Banned Banned

why thank you
    such a pathological obsession with lil ole gustav, ja?
    sweet
    i like

and!
    for the record!
    i agree with ophiolite since i made, more or less, the same points with regards to synonyms

/cackle

21. Roman Banned Banned

Whatabout when people say:
    "It tastes like..." But it sounds like "It tastiz like..."

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Where do they say that?

23. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think Harry Enfield's Stavros said things like that.