I believe I have disproven Atheism. Tell me, do you see any flaws?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jadebrain_Prime, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

maybe this will help
    www.talkorigins.org
    try
    www.atheists.org/Atheism/ethics.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It's a vast overimplification of what we do know and more importantly what we don't know.

Whoa there, what evidence do you have that the concept of direction is evem applicable to time?

That's a problem. As long as you 'believe' you're risking rationality.

Much as you can't disprove a negative in claims of existence, you can't disprove a position based on absence of evidence.

Sure, go ahead and establish it. It will require knowledge of how to resolve the existence of virtual particles. I am not sure that knowledge exists, but I would be fascinated to see it if you do.

Interesting. My guess is that you're misinterpreting scientific theory communicated by atheists... unless this is an oversimplfication of what you mean (in which case I would ask for clarification). Consequently, at present there is no evidence that such a thing called 'nothing' objectively exists.

Saying you've established something vs. actually doing so are two different things. Presently only the former is true.

Couldn't the existence of matter also be a temporary result of an 'infinite past'? Also, you are declaring time to be applicable to the concept of direction. You don't know this.

No such things have been established.

It's kind of funny you mention this. One theory of time holds that all that exists are states of reality all at once. The difference in states is normalized by some formula and that produces relationships between the states where for example the matter of a person's brain is different between an arbitrary number of states and that produces an illusion of transition. In this model, you would be the sum of all the states you exist in and would be experiencing the moment of each of those states all at the same time. It's just one of many theories however. Nobody on earth (including you) knows what time really is.

Without time there is no change. Without change you're not doing anything.

Huh?

I am not distracted by something that neither you or I know is even remotely a possibility.

The concept of forever requires time.

The concept of was and will require time. What life form exists outside of time? Can you show him to me?

I see flaws. They are listed above.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Again, this is a flaw, time is not a quantity, therefore your statement makes no sense.

Another flaw, time does not 'flow.'

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

In a dream when I was younger I was captured by satin and the chinese army. To show me his power He show me time in fast foword. I saw the city of East Providence RI go from a swamp to the city as it is now. It took me months to figure it out. There was a buzzing and flashing. Sound at high speed and day and night. Things like trees grew and died rappidly along with the banches rising in the summer and drooping leafless banches drooping in the winter. Everthing of the land scape reaching up for summer and turning green drooping or disappearing and turning brown. I was on a clif with a porch and Cinese soidiers were sitting with guns and laughing at me along with satin. Ther was an out cropping of rock the size of a large house and it was slowly crumbling little rocks shedding off rappidly. Accross the river ships started to apair and disappear rapidly, from wooden ships to steel tankers. And the city grew from shacks to sky scrapers. all at the same time and satin said see my power. Every thing was buzzing and flashing and changing.

Then I woke up. Did this happen or did I imagine or dream this? I don;t know? Do leafless branches droop in the winter? I don't no. Why doesn't God speak to us, passify the earth? Or is god inside us, in our DNA, instructions in our concions. Maybe so But I,m waiting to here from him.

Maybe an alien race took pictures and are long lived and set time lapsed brain waves to my mind. Maybe I'm still dreaming and haven't woken up, it's complicated with no real answers.

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Rokkon,

I didn’t think that you did and neither did I say that, in fact you were insisting that effects will follow cause, and which I agree.

That is a non sequitur – your two statements appear unconnected and unrelated. You appear to have created a concept of time for yourself that is not correct, and from that error you are inventing nonsense.

Time is simply a label we give to a property of existence, its necessary change of state.

You also seem to be considering time as something relative to now, i.e. that there is a future and a past, and that idea has seriously screwed up your thinking. Try considering “now” as an arbitrary point on a conceptual timeline that has no beginning and no end. Every point in the past was at that point a “now”, with every event being consistent with cause and effect. You can keep resetting that point as far back you wish and everything will remain perfectly consistent with cause and effect.

Yes very good, that is correct.

No this is nonsense. You need to seriously re-think this. The events in the past have simply come and gone, there was simply no beginning to them.

9. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Outside of time is exactly how it works.
    No mother, no father, no beginning of days or end of life.
    Beyond the "curtain" of time.

10. Jadebrain_Prime Atheist now Registered Senior Member

Scorpius, you must back up what you say. I'd wager that even those who are going against me here would agree that I have backed up what I say more than you have. As for calling God, HE (not she) doesn't seem to want to show up. Maybe it is because that would be so much proof of his existence that it would make pointless these tests of our faith in him that he has given us. If it were made too obvious, then all of these facts that we know of that contradict God's existence, which I believe are merely tests of our faith, would be meaningless. Yes, I do realise that if I am right, I am helping you 'cheat' on this test, but the guilt of the results of failing this test falling upon others would be terrible on my conscience.

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Treelaw45,

I think you just described the effects from the Hollywood movie "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells.

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

TheVisitor,

Are you therefore agreeing with me that anything outside of time cannot exist? Since without the passage of time nothing can change and nothing can be done and nothing can exist.

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Rokkon,

Dream on kiddo - you haven't come close to supporting anything yet.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

in order for me to be convinced i must see the living organisms that were created in the lab under the conditions that existed on the primordal earth.
    to my knowledge none has ever been produced.

edit
    what really kills me about this debate is how willingly people are to accept things that haven't been proven be it god or abiogenesis.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You've done no such thing, as you are quite confused about the subject matter.

16. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

I'll have to see the movie was it in color mine was?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Please let me illustrate a flaw.
    If by your reasoning, God can exist outside of time, then so can another force that isn't a God or a being of any kind.

18. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

Read my tread about a dream I had almost thirty years ago. What's even stranger was about ten years later while hiking with my boy's we went up the tracks and climbed a large rock on the water in front of a cliff and realized it was the crumbling rock in front of the cliff. and the city was across the water I freaked. I made my boys lie down and I felt I was going to fall off the earth. I wasn't able to get up for about 15 minutes. I was awake for this. And it wasn't God in my dream it was satin. Maybe there are beings who control time or can see backwards and maybe forwards. But I think there would be many paths forward and only one backwards and backwards to then wqas all I had seen.

19. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Leopold,

No, that is incorrect. All the essential issues of religions that are claimed as supernatural have explanations based on natural phenomena that are infinitely more credible. Proofs are a different matter that shouldn’t concern us here since religious claims certainly have no proofs.

Evolution is fairly clear to everyone by now, simply project the dots back in time for the early forms of life to appear. A very simple natural explanation. But the religious alternative is that a vast super being capable of creating universes and vast supernatural realms populated by invisible spirits, etc,. etc. Kinda defies credibility, wouldn’t you agree?

Sure it has. It’s an emergent property of neural functions. Simply natural again.

Of course it can and very simply. Survival and intelligence with the ability to reason. There is absolutely nothing complicated here.

LOL, dream on. While many fiction stories can have a factual basis the actual details are entire fiction.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's an interesting story, TREELAW45, but I fail to see how it relates to this conversation. Individuals experience all sorts of weird things, myself included.

21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

It was a dream. Dreams are hallucinations.

22. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

I guess the point is are there beings who have so control over time or live very long in time so they would appear to be a god or demon. If a being could show you time(past to present) would you accept it as a god? would you give up your and your childrens lives or freedom. Maybe they could make us slaves, or eat us. What would primative humans think of us today?

23. TREELAW45 Registered Senior Member

When I found the location of the dream, and it matched perfectly I was wide awake. And feeling like I would fall off the earth, total loss of up and down or the effects of gravity. I felt like I had to hold on to the rock or I would fall away. I would like to understand what happen to me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.