I am considering brainwashing to fix my son: religious experiment.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by jayleew, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Here's an email I just sent to my wife. We've been battling with my son's ODD since he was 5. This explains the reason why I am considering teaching my son about God. I believe this is one of the good uses of religion. This is in response to yet another issue he had on the bus. He will be 9 this November:

So what do you all think about the experiment to see if there is use for religion? Do you think it will work?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Are you being serious?
    Or is this some hypothetical situation?

jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

this thread is AWESOME, thanks for sharing jayleew.

without god there truly are no justified morals. all incentives to do good and avoid bad miss the absolutism that makes them fool proof, except god.

this doesn't mean atheists can't be moral, it's just that their morality would be a leap of faith, and not something objectively real.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. toltec Registered Senior Member

I don't know whether this is fanatical overkill or a symptom of PC modern times. Who needs heaven and hell if you've got a decent mother.

If I misbehaved, there was no threats of eternal suffering just a moment of rather brief instantanious suffering, "TWACK, now don't do that again". Worked extremely well.

8. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

As you have hinted, we can't do that anymore. All we can do is repeatedly punish over and over using a host of things, and encourage with the same propaganda to our son and hope that he will make a better decision. But, he knows he doesn't have to because he doesn't care about any punishment. It's only a minor and temporary inconvenience to him. He's very smart and even even manipulates the teachers to send him home. If he wants a day off, he knows just what he needs to do to do it and not get in too much trouble. The difference between my son and daughter (who is perfectly healthy) is that I brought her up with Christian teaching.

9. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Well, it's more like I or we lack the tool(s) to teach kids ethics, personal responsibility, and self-accountability without religion.

10. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'm dead serious. And the news is in, he's suspended for 5 days....again....like that is any punishment. Like I said, my daughter is the exact opposite, but was taught to be a Christian so she has a good solid moral compass and has a sense of self-accountability. It worked before with her, so why won't it work again?

11. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

I am hoping you are not serious.
    If you are, you sould be arrested and your son should be taken from you as soon as possible. Even if this is a joke, it's certainly not funny.

12. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

It's no joke....what are you saying people who go to church should be arrested? People who need Jesus to help their sons and daughters should be arrested? Are you serious? I'm just suggesting family therapy. I don't want to do it, but my son needs it.

13. John99 Banned Banned

lew, find out what your kid is good at and focus on that. the kid does not like school...WHY is anyones guess BUT we cant answer that. the kid spinds like he is not maturing the same as is expected but that can change in a few years.

14. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Where do you go in your mind when you are tempted to do evil? His psychiatrist has said that he physically has a disability to look from within to help. I am suggesting that if he can't look in, then maybe he needs to look to something external. His parents don't work, but maybe God, who may have my son's eternal soul in his hands will, when my son finds out about heaven and hell.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Evil?

16. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Quite right, he is changing and has changed. But, my fear is that he gets any older and becomes antisocial. He is on the brink. This is a pivotal time that I must do something. Therapy, pills, and a special school are not working because he falls back on them and believes they entitle him.

17. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Any transgression against your fellow man, whether it's a white lie to murder. Most of us have something that stops us from doing wrong, but it is something internal. There is a handful of things that we draw from, not to determine that something is ethical, but whether or not to act regardless of if it is right or wrong. My son has this, but can get out of mind at times with emotion and irrationality. If he had something like the fear of God, perhaps that would help him make the right decisions, even if he thought whatever it was is right....like throwing a chair at someone. He does these things because he believes it is the right thing to do.

He doesn't have the ability to see that he walked into the pile of crap. It doesn't have any smell.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  18. John99 Banned Banned

Believe it or not that kid can be overly sensitive to things he experiences at home. Sounds like your wife and yourself are divorced and at that age he may think that his acting out will bring his parents together. I think you need to talk to him like an adult and be honest with him.

19. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

I've been married to the same woman, his mother, for 13 years now and we are happily married. We have a perfect 13 year old daughter, who was brought up to believe in God.

I'm telling you we've had talks like an adult over and over and over for years. We try to help him, we have him in counseling, we are there for him, we always give him love and direction. He has our time and affection daily. Punishments are a wide variety, but none are really effective. Even if it taking away his favorite thing. He knows it temporary. We're way way way past the point of talking.

Literally, we have tried everything but this. He has little remorse because he always believes he is thinking correctly. What he needs I believe is an adjustment to his thinking and Jesus can modify it. Well, we'll see. My wife is all for going to church she said. She didn't say anything about me pretending to be Christian so it will be effective with him. She probably has hope that I will come around and is just happy I will return to studying the Bible and going to church. I am not looking forward to this charade.

In the name of social science, we must know the effect of religion when it comes to molding the youth.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  20. John99 Banned Banned

Speaking from personal experience because i was in a similar situation and by the time i got past 5th grade i realized that my plan was not working.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Horse shit.

Atheist morality is the only true form!

It's objectively real, because we understand that actions have real world consequences, and choose to do as we would be done by.

Theists on the other hand try to act nice because they fear the retribution from some sky pixie.

22. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Well, hopefully that fear of retribution will work and be assimilated into his existence, then later in life regress to normal altruism. It worked for me, my daughter is fine, I guess why not for my son.

23. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Why not let him face some consequences now, instead telling him that he’ll face them in a make believe afterlife. Being consistent is always good.

In my humble opinion, anyone who doesn't feel that this is child abuse...is crazy!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Crazy Christians...:mufc:

Crazy Christian Camp for Children

Pentecostal Youth Camp

Crazy American Christian Woman