I AM an Astrologer!

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Atom, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atom Registered Senior Member

Dear me, calm down now..is it catching?

Excessive use of exclamation marks is a giveaway...as with green ink..AND WRITING IN CAPS!!!!

Lets take a slightly more steady approach to the above.

Saying "you're a very bad person who steals from his Mother" not only takes fate to mind boggling extremes but is downright irresponsible.

Its akin to a counsellor saying you are an utterly bad person and may as well go out and kill someone.

In other words..as with most posts from sceptics here it is intrinsically flawed, tends to hysteria and is I'm afraid plain bonkers to all but the most prejudicial and bigoted eye.

In fact ..its my contender for 'silliest post of the year'. I'm sure it will be exceeded by the next one!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Astrology is bullshit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Atom Registered Senior Member

Quite silly, Nick! A good start but let down by brevity - try a bit harder.

Lets wait for the next pearl of wisdom to drop from these 'scientists'..hmm..makes me wonder why they're here and not doing science.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Actually, I'm a very calm and laid-back person. The three exclaimation point were simply to draw attention to what I said. (And I never, ever use colored text or all caps.)

I'm simply pointing out that astrology always tells people what they want to hear - just like lying politicans - and never presents a "bad reading" - because that's NOT what will bring someone back, true or not. It's always positive, sugar-coated trash and nothing more.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL calmed down ?

Im simply saying that both Striders and your reading dont even come close to the truth.

You have to do a bit more then give examples to convince us. Maybe try evidence ?

9. Atom Registered Senior Member

Your hardly an unbiased poster, Enmos.

I could prove it with infinite ease. We need a double blind test wherein someone gives details..even one-worded as in Stryders example and then the two are compared.

It just needs an un-biased adjudicator and a way of providing two analyses via a mediator (and no I do NOT mean a mod)..in my experience all mods are bonkers..aka similar to guys in uniforms who collect tickets. They think theyre important when in fact they're little jobsworths.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I may be biased but im not dishonest if thats what youre saying. In any case, you arent exactly unbiased either.

11. Atom Registered Senior Member

So you have personal experience?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You could say that.
    Once someone wanted to read tarot for me, that was crap.
    You tried a reading on me in this thread, didnt do it either.
    Not a single horoscoop ever came true however general they are.
    And more i cant remember now..
    And i have seen/read a lot of studies on this subject and all of them concluded the results could be explained by mere chance.

I think its utterly fantastic to claim something like this actually works.
    But one CAN convince me by presenting evidence. You should at the very least explain how the planets and stuff manage to influence us (and in a scientific way, no woowoo talk).

Im sorry Billy, you seem like a nice person and i believe you actually believe that what your saying is true. But i have to see irrifutable evidence before i believe something as incredible as astrology.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

They are, in fact, non-existent, just like your evidence.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

This is, of course, another lie.

All you need to do is explain HOW astrology works. Simple, really.

But, no one is expecting that from you, as you've made quite clear from your lack of providing anything other than lies and insults.

15. Atom Registered Senior Member

I don't agree that its that difficult to set up a double blind test which is why I was so insistent on writing a short analysis and comparing it to a cold reading.

The counter argument seems to be that it takes 'talent' to do a chart reading which I suppose it is. Its a display of astrology and depends on some knowledge. So in essence if there IS a knack to it then it can only provide further evidence of Astrology.

The idea that its some Tolkienesque display of imagination mixed with a mastery of writing is totally spurious. IO cant see how anyone can possibly disagree with that.

16. Atom Registered Senior Member

You're not remotely swayed by the distinct difference in the proportion of Elements then?

Its true that astrology doesnt lend itself to testability. Its very difficult to seperate one particular strand without using thousands of charts with proven accurate reading. Its not true to say there NO evidence..certainly the Gauquelin tests of various planets...the 'Mars Effect' inparticular show a pattern in keeping with astrological lore.

It was good enough for Prof Hans Eysenck, inventor of the IQ test but seemingly not for the great minds we possess on here!

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Wow, you STILL don't get it. No one gives a crap about your double-blind test. All we want to know is how astrology works. Why are you evading that question?

It's because you don't know. Why don't you just admit it?

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then, astrology is utterly useless. Ghosts, goblins and gods also do not lend themselves to testability.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thus, it is posted in pseudoscience.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

What is your point?

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, do you actually have something to add to the discussion?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Pseudoscience!=science?:shrug:

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I just want to see my chart before you guys drive him away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.