Hunting

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Montana is great hunting . You can kill Bambi if you got a B tag which id a doe tag . Tender and low fat . Antelope is the most tender of all . Stew of Antelope to die for. I eat Meat.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think it's to give them a chance to grow up to be trophies.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've been deer hunting no less than 12 times...and I have only once seen a deer while I actually had a loaded gun in my hand. (seen plenty when I didn't have my gun) It was a young one...and in those 3 seconds it took me to evaluate whether it was old enough to shoot....it took 3 big leaps and was gone.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Sorry. I hate hunting. I come from a hunting family. I hunted once and gutted one deer as a kid and it's stuck with me. I find the sport to be despicable--for psychological reasons (I have to wonder about people who get pleasure from hunting for sport)--but I have no problem with subsistence hunting. Moreover, the practice of caging and torturing an animal for their miserable life is far more inhumane than the pain they suffer the last 30-60 seconds of their life.

Given the choice, I'd choose five minutes of agony at the end and a life span of 30 years, than a lifetime of suffering, a quick end and 50 years of life (or whatever re-combination you can think of).

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I've never understood catch and release fishing.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not?
    People enjoy fishing but don't want to eat the fish. So they release them.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Releasing them doesn't mean they live. Its sport fishing.

Why not sport hunt? Especially since trophy hunters don't waste teh meat. They just don't want it for themselves.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Releasing them doesn't mean they live per se, they could be damaged during the handling, but they have got a hell of a better chance than when they are caught by a trophy hunter. Also, a responsible sport fisher knows how not to damage the fish.

11. Cifo Day destroys the night, Registered Senior Member

Besides, look at all the undersized fish caught and then required to be released, which may happen more often than catching one of legal size.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How about this show? River Monsters. Some of the fish do die. Are they dying for our education or our entertainment?

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

This is a myth . Fish caught and released suffer damage regardless. They have a hook in them and are jerked out of the environment they live in . When I see sports fisher - people take them out and take pictures it does chap my butt. I sometimes will say out loud in real life at the river or when I am watching on t. v. Get the fish back in the water butt lick . Your killing it. I seen plenty of dead fish floating down the river out of sight out of mind of the " Expert Catch and release purest fly fisher- person. Me I keep fish cause I eat fish . Nothing in the world like fish from your line straight into the fry pan cooking on an open flame . Me teryaki recipe is to die for . Even fish haters like it and gobble up all they can stuff in there mouths . Good enough to turn veguts a boiling into fish eaters. Makes you smarter too. Fish makes you smarter , or is that a wives tale?
    If you don't eat fish it is my opinion you should not fish. The other animals eat the floaties the dinks kill and leave in the river so I don't go ape shit about it, just a strong suggestion . Mainly Birds eat the floaters . It is fun to watch the pelicans on the big hole river get-em. Osprey and eagles too. The most amazing thing I saw was a water snake catch a 9 inch trout at the bottom of a pooled area on a mountain stream . There must have been about 30 fish in the hole and they where going nuts darting all over the place and this one was shaking on its side glued to the bottom of the river. I couldn't see the snake and was wondering what was the matter with that fish. It started moving towards the bank and I couldn't see the snake until it was almost on the shore. The snake drug that fish completely out of the water and had a death grip on the side of the fish . The snake was about 14 inches long and about as big around as your finger

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep. Just like you see plenty of undersized ones floating by. My husband just says "I can't keep it, so the turtles get it"

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Entertainment, it seems. That show is sensationalism.
    I can imagine large fish suffering quite some damage, be it physical or from exhaustion.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That's why I said "responsible fishers". It's best to unhook the fish while it's still in the water, obviously. And using barbless hooks hepls too.