Hunting

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Holy Crap! I didn't realize there were so many of them just in the parks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hunters Bag More Than 1,300 Deer In State Park Hunts

Controlled Hunts Held At 17 Parks

INDIANAPOLIS -- Hunters killed 1,334 deer during controlled hunts at 17 Indiana state parks over the past month.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources said the hunts, which took place on Nov. 16-17 and Nov. 30-Dec. 1, resulted in more than 200 deer being killed at Versailles State Park in southeastern Indiana.

Hunters bagged more than 100 deer at Potato Creek and Tippecanoe River state parks in northern Indiana and at Charlestown and Harmonie state parks in the southern part of the state.

DNR biologists determine which parks need deer reduction each year, based on how the vegetation the animals eat rebounds in an ongoing effort to control the population and keep the ecosystem balanced.

DNR biologists determine which parks need deer reduction each year, based on how the vegetation the animals eat rebounds in an ongoing effort to control the population and keep the ecosystem balanced.

"In spite of poor weather during the first reduction and expanses of standing corn adjacent to many parks, our effort in 2009 was successful," said Mike Mycroft, of DNR. "Though hunters aren't taking as many deer as they once were, that's a good sign for the vegetation. These reductions are about managing habitat."

Not all parks require reduction every year. Approximately one-third of the parks have achieved maintenance status since the program began and regularly take a year off from reductions.

Officials said several parks have recently taken a year off from needed reduction because a generally balanced ecosystem had been achieved.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am heading out deer hunting Saturday morning. Can't wait!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

good luck!
    By the way, how does your state count points? Both sides or just one side?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Both sides

I went hunting yesterday. I saw one doe with a fawn. I couldn't shoot the doe to see the fawn alone. I am heading out early in the morning to go again. I have 15 more days of deer hunting season left and I am going to make the best of it.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Why?

Lions hunts, alligators hunt, bears hunt.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

whoa! That's a late fawn.
    I wonder why you can't hunt fawn. People eat veal after all.

10. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Are there restrictions against taking a particular sex? Around here, people can only legally take bucks.

Wouldn't there be a problem identifying the sex of a fawn?

11. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: Tell it like it is. I am a vegetarian and agree with you. Though I do not hunt, I own a place in UPSTATE NEW YORK and if it were not for hunters the deer would take over the roads. I know a lot of these hunters and at least they are willing to do it, kill the animals they eat. There is something to be said for that. I get very conflicted about it all. ...traveler

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yes, but you can't hunt fawns no matter what sex they are.

And some states have a doe season. Its usually in early Fall.

13. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Oh, I am excited. In four days, turkey season opens. Hopefully, I can kill my quota this year! Anyone else going turkey hunting?

14. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

You try explaining it to a 4 year old Orleander!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  15. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

People that eat meat that comes from mass feedlots are 1000 times more despicable than a person who hunts for their meat. Actually, I respect people that only hunt for their meat. They understand the price of it and they aren't supporting the inhuman cruelty that these feedlots employ.

I, myself, will only eat locally raised beef or poultry. If you're against hunting for food and eat processed meat, you're the Ted Haggart of food ethics.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

explain veal or lamb to them

17. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

"Sorry sweet heart that's your dinner you're hugging"

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its why my Dad never allowed us the name the calves we bottle fed

19. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

The crossbow was just delivered to my office. I ended up buying the Barnett Wildcat C5 150 lbs. I can't wait to use it this weekend for turkey hunting. I just need to go by Bass Pro Shop and pick up the Turkey Guillotine broadheads for the bolts. They work by decapitating the turkey's head if it is hit in the neck area.

Here is a pic of the box:

20. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am excited. I just joined a hunting club for the first time. The club has three different parcels of land across the state, accounting for ~17,000 acres. It was only $1,000 to join. I can't wait for deer season to test my new crossbow!!!

21. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

So this year, I bought a spy cam. Here is a picture it took on a doe. It takes pretty impressive pictures. I have been heading out to this area laying in wait in my tree stand with my crossbow.

22. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

So this weekend, I was duck hunting as they are migrating South by the millions. In the area I was at, they had estimated 2 million ducks and geese. Here is a pic of the ducks I shot this weekend. I am having the meat processed right now, but damn, I can't wait to get it. Duck is one of my favorites! Enjoy!

23. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

So squirrel season opens tomorrow and I already have my rifle sighted and ready. Squirrel gravy is so damned good!