Humanity is evil.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Enmos, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I consider 'evil' to be a religious concept and I deny it's existence in the real world.
    But would humanity be evil according to the definition of the word ?

Here's the first set of definitions from Dictionary.com:

e⋅vil
    –adjective
    1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
    2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
    3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
    4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
    5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.
    –noun
    6. that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
    7. the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
    8. the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
    9. harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
    10. anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
    11. a harmful aspect, effect, or consequence: the evils of alcohol.
    12. a disease, as king's evil.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/evil

Edit:
    Could one say that intelligence correlates strongly with the capacity of being evil ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

In some aspects humanity appears to be evil, but this is only one of the characteristic of humanity. For if all humanity was evil it would be self-harming and self-destructive and therefore would not exist.

Therefore humanity is a greater good than evil.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's interesting that you'd put it like that.
    How come something is only considered evil if it's harmful to humans ? Isn't that horrendously arrogant ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Well just one point of consideration as harmful to humans being out of context for generalization of humanity means that humanity altogether is not pure evil.

Basically find one counterargument against your argument, and your whole generalization argument is false.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think so. Humanity spawns evil, therefor it is evil.
    And then, some of the definitions (or most actually) fit all of humanity.

9. draqon Banned Banned

"Humanity cannot spawn evil" is a wrong statement, because that would mean all of humanity is creating evil, which is not true.

Some of humanity spawns some evil, will be a correct statement.

To be more precise: Minority of human population spawns some evil.

But even that is overgeneralization...

An insignificant on grand proportions of human population spawns an insignificant on grand proportions amount of evil.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

You are contradicting yourself.

This is false. Humanity as a whole spawns evil. Evil is everywhere.
    Humans are genetically very, very similar, by the way..

I think you need to make the distinction between individuals humans and humanity..

11. draqon Banned Banned

This baby is part of humanity.

Is this baby spawning

evil?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See my last point in my previous post

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. draqon Banned Banned

It is you who needs to make a disctinction. You cannot call all humanity evil just because individual humans are partially evil. And I say "partially evil" because no individual human can be fully evil, as evil is self-destructive.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not ?
    If a significant portion of a batch is substandard, isn't the whole batch taken out of distribution ?

I never said individual humans are evil. I am saying that humanity as a whole is evil (according to the dictionary defnitions).
    Now kindly point out how humanity is not self-destructive..

15. draqon Banned Banned

You have a container with 12 milk bottles with milk. Two milk bottles are spoiled. So you are calling the whole container with 12 milk bottles, spoiled? Come on...

16. draqon Banned Banned

We are alive Enmos. You and I. Therefore Humanity has not killed us and/or we have not killed ourselves. Therefore humanity is not self-destructive, because we are part of humanity.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If they aren't supposed to be spoiled the whole batch is taken out of distribution. Likely something has gone wrong in the production process.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What an odd thing to say?! Humans all die, therefore being human is self-destructive, and therefore should be considered wholly evil.

Unlike any other specie on Earth, humans are a destructive force for the planet as a whole. Not only in overbreeding, overpopulation, but in normal, everyday life, humans destroy the planet on which they live. No other animal destroys it's own habitat.

Baron Max

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh so because we haven't wiped ourselves out yet it's not going to happen ever ?
    Look around you dude. Humanity is destroying it's own environment.

20. draqon Banned Banned

If that was true, we wouldnt have a habitat right now. And we would not have humans.

Humans are greater of a creation force than a destructive force.

21. draqon Banned Banned

In time everything decays, humans or not, all will decay. Such is the law of entropy.

Yes humanity will never wipe itself out, because humanity is more good than evil.

You need faith in your species, human Enmos. I have faith, now you give your warmth to your kind.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

We are running out of habitat fast.
    And, again, you need to look at the big picture. If it's not directly harmful to humans, that doesn't mean it's not harmful at all.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, we are making it all decay. It's not 'just happening', we are doing it.

Please, spare me your human-supremacy nonsense.