HTML Codes - Can Anyone Teach Me?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hey...! CSS is cool and looks easy...!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Here we go again...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuumm... I tried to use the " /* " and " */ " for comments and it didn't work... Why? Do I need to tell the computer that I'm changing my script language to CSS?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The usual comment methods are either:

// For a single line

or

/* for multiple
    lines
    */

Note: the Ending */ needs to be on a line on it's own, not appended to a line of comments.
    I believe This commenting method is meant for CSS files, CSS entries in thml pages and also Javascript in both pages and JS files

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

In case you want to save some time,which i am sure you would like to why dont you take a look at Frontpage?. Also,to make your website really good,use ASP,or Java...

bye!

8. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

As was said previous in this thread using WYSIWYG editors has a downfall, you learn very little html. Since he is trying to learn HTML there would be little point in using frontpage since it is notorious for adding in garbage tags and other junk that makes the HTML quite unreadable.

I hope you meant Javascript because in my opinion, Java does not make webpages look good. Javascript on the other hand can be very complimentary to HTML though it doesn't normally make it look better, but rather makes it more functional.

ASP is fine, I prefer JSP, but to each his own. You might also want to consider PHP. It is very easy to use (easier than JPS and ASP), is very dynamic, and the documentation alone makes it worthwhile (www.php.net).

9. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

10. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

I love php! Naw seriously, it's good stuff, but only if your webhosting supports it.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Thanks guys

zion,

I don't like using Front Page or anything of the sort. I prefer to learn all the codes... it is more fun and you are more in control.

I don't know Java and it is too dangerous to learn by myself.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I don't think Zion meant you should use frontpage, I think he meant you could look at a Frontpage generated page to show all the tags in use (admittedly far too many of them and in a Microsoft structure as apposed to the ISO [Industrial standard])

As for comments on Java/Javascript. Javascript basically allows code into the page that can be "Interpreted" by the browser (since in the case of HTML, Javascript, JScript, VBScript the browser does the interpretation not the server).

Java is of course a Programming language that is Compiled for use in the form of applets, Java isn't interpretted by the server but again by the runtimes associated with it.

Infact the history of Java is an interesting one, since originally it was a failure for what it was designed for and in some respects has been sat around waiting for the Palm top and mobile phone revolution.

http://java.sun.com/features/1998/05/birthday.html

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yeah well... that's all pretty new for me...

I have tried the frontpage stuff. Actually, I tried using Word. Yeah... There are way too many tags, which don't seem to be all that necessary - not at all...!

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Microsoft generated HTML pages are completely filled with un-necessary junk, on the most part those people that use their programs only do so because they aren't use to using other programs or writing HTML by hand.

However when the internet speeds were all dialup modems, the problem was what size a page should be. It was suggested that a page shouldn't be over 50kb's in size (including images) as it would take too long to load on a dialup modem.

Admittedly you could probably increase that to 150kbs, but anyone on a 56k modem will be looking at about 1 minute per 250kbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.