HTML Codes - Can Anyone Teach Me?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hi there!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does anyone know HTML codes? I would like to start a website, but I don't know much about how I can write those things. I would like to at least learn the basics...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

In your browser goto 'View... Source' in the menu.

It's fairly basic. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dapthar Gone for Good. Registered Senior Member

http://www.htmlgoodies.com is a very nice site for HTML beginners. I learned a great deal of basic HTML from that site. If you have any more questions about HTML, don't hesitate to post them.
    Persol, learning by example is possibly the worst way to learn any subject. It fosters bad habits and doesn't help one to truly understand the material. It is also horribly inefficient, since one must invest exorbitant amounts of effort before they can even begin to understand the basics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I always thought it was the best. HTML is in no way complicated.

8. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

ugh.....there is too much garbage in an average HTML page...a beginner probably wouldn't gain a whole lot weeding thru ad scripts etc etc. I say go with dapthar's advice and read some tutorials.

or, get a WYSIWYG editor (like dreamweaver), so you can make the page graphically (like a power point) and then see how the corresponding code is generated.

9. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

The WYSIWYG suggestion is probably the best so far.

10. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

dunno if it really works though persol, i've been using WYSIWYG for a while and I still don't know HTML all that well

i guess with WYSIWYG you might not learn as much, but you don't really need to. any changes you need to make in the code will generally be little touch ups

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I never really had any problem with HTML. I taught myself VB and C using only sample programs, and did HTML by viewing source... I figured that's how most did it. Once you fool around with it and understand how to start/close tags the rest is just finding out what tag does what.

12. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

I agree with Neb's first post completely, BUT if you really want to know HTML and not web design, it would probably be best to switch from the WYSIWYG editor to some sort of notepad editor. This will help you to remember the syntax of the tags, what works in different browsers, and stuff like that.

Basically what I do is place everything how I want it on a page, then go through the code and remove all the formatting garbage that makes the page larger than it has to be, but doesn't affect the layout of it.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I used a program called Hotmetal by Softquad, You can have it rigged in a WYSIWYG method, although I prefer the TAGS version. Basically it takes all the HTML code and converts the tags into little graphic placers, that youcan move around. The placers are just the written HTML tag like < HTML> or < /HTML> and make it really easy to manipulate code throughout a site.

This was one of the things I used to learn HTML, although otherthings included the specifications of HTML 1.0 and Javascript 1.0 from Netscape some time ago.

HTML is very simplified, it uses a similar method to some of the older wordprocessors that use to use things like < H1> to make a title etc.
    (This is long before MS windows and Word)

14. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

'older wordprocessors'? I still have a client who uses WordPerfect... and it still hsa these tags.

15. okinrus Registered Senior Member

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Persol,
    I was refering to before Wordperfect, when there was no Windows, just DOS.
    And the screens were either EGA Monochrome or just plain Green Screen, and telex machines.

Old enough?

17. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I am even considering xhtml and cgi now. Any suggestion? Maybe I'll go with psp too.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Just a note that CGI means Common Gateway Interface, and it can be rigged to have many different interpreters work with it, Such as PERL, C and Python.

Files contained within a CGI-BIN folder will be interpreted by such languages (If the files are set correctly and of course the server has that language interpreter available)

The current use of XML has escalated throughout the internet, More people are using XML and RSS newsfeeds than before, however not everyone will have a system that can "Parse" XML.

I guess you meant PHP rather than PSP (the extension for Paintshop files), Alot of people use PHP too, PHP allows a certain amount of programming code to be used and is used in the creation of such forums as this one, and online games and even very interactive sites.

All of these I tend to look at from a perspective or running a server, like "What causes severload (load stress)?"

Well HTML is an a language thats interperated by browsers, this means the actual code is sent as is from where it's served. The processor only has to deal with a small amount of work since most of the work is covered by the Network card/modem on the server.

CGI files, PHP and XML on the other hand go through an interpreter on the server, which increases the CPU load and RAM load of the server. This can on smaller systems cause problems if multiple people are viewing that page, since the OS will try to place peoples accesses into a queue to stop it crashing out from overload.

Luckily the way the internet has gone in recent years, most dedicated servers that are housed by mainstream companies online will be servered through a number of proxies that store anything that is "Cacheable", which means it lowers the load strain on the server to deal with multiple accesses.

However proxy "Caches" like storing material that isn't updated regularly (otherwise it has to keep renewing it's cache) and isn't too fond of "Session data" (Like Forums or online games).

[Its a pity no one has developed a cache mechanism that can work with session data, where it only keeps hold of the common parts, and somehow tells the server which parts it doesn't need to re-interpret each time, it would save alot of CPU cycles.]

19. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Could it partly be done by putting the processing of session data in one dynamic page, which has an immediate expire date? This page can be called to from an iframe with width=0 and height=0, rendering it invisible. The iframe itself can rest in a cachable page. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should work as follows:
    • browser request a cacheable page,
    • webserver or proxy delivers cached version of the page,
    • browser recieves cached content, eventually parses the iframe and puts out a request,
    • the requested page has an immediate expire date and will fly through all proxies,
    • webserver interprets page and delivers fresh content
    So, if I'm not mistaken, we can now process session data from a cached page, which is great for tracking user movements and the like, but we can not yet change content of the already cached page. I suppose, if you throw all webprogamming ethics out of the window, you can let the page called from the iframe dynamically set content of its parent, i.e. the cached page, through setting the contents of e.g. DIV and SPAN elements. Although, that does sound as a nice start for a maintenance nightmare...

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I know this trick Persol....

The danger of view source, is that you might learn something wrong...

thanks all you guys...

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Just to add to the discussion Mouse,

The problem I was consistantly hit with was SSI (Server-side Includes).

It was possible to have a HTML page contain SSI for the creation of "Headers and footers" (The tops and bottoms of the document).

The headers and footers were both HTML files, they were implaced by CGI into the SSI template, this allowed the different content both Dynamic and Static to be applied together.

The problem occured when the output was generated, as the file looks like it's just one HTML page, it's date of creation, and modification date stay the same no matter how many times you load and even if the SSI input changes.

The only things that would change would be the Size of the file, admittedly caches that use Size as the key would know when the page has actually changed, but it wouldn't tie in with the program Creation/Modification dates.

The only other answer would be to have a script language, generate the HTML page and and save it to the server. This would give it a creation/Modification date that alters everytime the language is told to do so.

As for the use of Frames, They could be used to provide any Static pages since the static pages would be cached, the dynamic content would then be left with either the rest of the page or another frame.

22. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

23. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

stryder, thanks for the suggestions and corrections.
    [as a side note, I think I was accidentally mixed up between php and asp, lol]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.