How to "jazz up" business writing

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by wegs, Jul 29, 2013.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

At work here, composing a letter to a prospective client, and I realize how weary I have grown with the trite phrases:

"Per our conversation..."
    "As discussed..."
    "Thank you for your consideration..."
    "Please don't hesitate to contact me..."

Is there a more "exciting" way to "jazz up" some of these overused phrases, without appearing unprofessional to the recipient?

I'm in a marketing role, so much of my writing needs to be persuasive in nature. Just something to keep in mind about my audience.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips and ideas you cast my way.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

Hi, don't know if this helps as my English has never been brilliant, but I tend to just use synonyms where possible so as to avoid constantly using the same phrases. For example "Per our conversation" = "During our discussion" or "When we exchanged our ideas" = "As discussed...". Maybe "Thank you for your consideration" = "I greatly appreciate your time and thoughts on this matter", "Please don't hesitate to contact me..." = "If I can be of any further assistance please let me know".

Just a few ideas hope it helps

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

"When we exchanged ideas" sounds refreshing, I must say.
    I like that.

Not a fan of "...further assistance," but I like how you position things to sound humble, yet genuine.

Two heads are better than one, I tell ya! Thx Gorlitz.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

When I read business correspondence I always appreciate an economy of words. For example:

"Per our conversation of 24 Jun 2013, I refer you to a recent publication by our affiliate SGS-Morgan, a leader in data subjugation devices. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any further questions, and thank you for your interest in Dave's Data Acquisition Emporium."

"You asked yesterday about analog muxes, this link might help. Talk to you later."

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The most important criterion for business writing is efficiency. People are not reading it for pleasure or laughs, and in most cases not even to expand their knowledge or challenge their assumptions. They want basic, simple information and they want it fast, so they can finish your letter and the fifteen others that came in today, and still have time for their other job duties.

So in my writing classes I stongly discourage "creative writing" in a business context. Clichés and other standard forms are recognized and interpreted instantly. They require minimal semantic processing and other thought. They allow the reader to understand perfectly the message you are conveying, and to extract quickly the information they need.

Don't mess with the paradigm.

Discussion boards like SciForums are the place to practice creative writing. Sure, people come here for information, but they also want to be entertained and to build the new 21st-century kind of "virtual friendships." So they want your writing to express your character and they don't want to be bored by reading ten different posts from ten different members that look like they were generated by the same software algorithm. They want pleasure, they want laughs, they want their knowledge expanded. And a few of us even want our assumptions challenged.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So ...think as Fraggle states below..."efficiency."
    Thanks for chiming in billvon!
    Okay, fair enough. Keep it to the point. But how to take trite phrases and make them "pop" a bit more? Want to stand out from the herd, yanno.

Alright; I trust what you're saying.

You don't say....

I've taken the annoying "I look forward to..." and changed it to:
    "I'm enthusiastic to meet with you next week."

Wth does "I look forward to" mean?
    I'm looking forward as opposed to ...behind me?
    Annoying, hackneyed phrase bleck!

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A good business writer does not want to stand out from the herd. She is thinking about the person who will receive her missive. She wants that person to be able to spend as little time as possible reading it and deciding what to do.

She has the same responsiblities at her desk. She does not want to have to stay late because all of her correspondents have taken classes in "creative writing" from professors who neglected to tell them where it is appropriate and where it is not, so it takes her 5% more time to keep up with her own job duties. She can envision this scenario so she does not want to impose it on others.

Business writing is not supposed to be entertaining. It's supposed to be full of trite phrases than can be read and comprehended in less than one second.

Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper regarding things you've read. You still need to be efficient because they often have a 200-word limit, but you also need to capture the reader's attention, so you have considerably more opportunity for creativity than in a business letter.

A good writer understands that every type of writing has its own appropriate tactics. She does not write a letter to her cousin in the same style as a legal document, and she does not write a business document in the same style as the lead editorial in her daily newspaper.

Really bad idea. You've taken a trite phrase and turned it into something that looks almost like a personal comment. If the recipient is a man--especially one who's a little weak on social graces and could write his dating history in a fortune cookie--he may start phoning you. This could cost your company a sale, and add a completely unnecessary complication to your life. We all automatically feel sorry for the socially impaired, yet we have no choice but to hurt their feelings in order to get rid of them.

Short answer: absolutely nothing. Long answer: I expect the event described in the next clause to take place and I am prepared to perform the routine tasks which I always perform when these events occur, yet if due to circumstances beyond our control the event is canceled, I won't give a shit.

In many languages, the rhetoric of business letters is more flowery and formal than in American English. Ours is short and to the point. Any vestiges of formality are simply the framework of much longer passages that have been torn apart and reassembled by minimalists who were not chosen for the job of reassembly because of their love of language.

We use spatial metaphors to describe time. The future is "forward," "ahead," etc. The past is "behind," "passed," etc. If we have two choices it's a "fork in the road."

It's even worse in Chinese, whose verbs have no tenses. You can't say "This will happen" or "This happened." The best you can do is "This happens next week" or "This happens last week." Since in actual dialog there is seldom any real ambiguity, you can just say "this happens" and everybody knows when, so they get along fine with this stripped-down grammar utilizing fewer words. It allows them to talk more slowly and to be understood more easily.

Save it for the assignments in your creative writing class. If you're not enrolled in one, well then it's time to do so. Doing this in your business writing will NOT advance your career.

Perhaps if you keep reminding yourself that the people who read your memos and letters will be annoyed by your non-standard rhetoric, you'll become motivated to do something much more appropriate and rewarding with it.

In other words, don't gold-plate your stapler.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker;

In two words...thank you. At first, I wasn't sure how to take this. I read it at work this morning and after mulling it over, I know that it's best if I follow this suggested protocol.

I hadn't really thought that "changing" a word here and there would create my business writing to appear less than professional, and look potentially off putting.

Someone told me at a prior job I had that sales and marketing requires the letters we send to prospects to be highlighting the services rendered by the company. The rest should be succinct and polished.

So, fine. I will stick with the trite phrases. I don't mind them too terribly. I laughed at you insinuating that a male prospect might take my "I am enthusiastic to meet with you..." in the wrong way.

I don't see that happening, but point taken.

Thank you for taking your time to help me.

12. PartyBoy Registered Member

Turn on jazz music...

Money I say honey is no work of art
    Advertisements and advisements all just play the part
    Papers and the staplers just a waste of time
    Tis a crime not so sublime to hate this rhyme
    My office is no hospice so don't eat my lunch
    This chair he is not fair just causes a hunch
    This guy is useless as my aunt Eustice on a fax machine
    Good God you fat broad why can't you keep your desk clean
    i dont do work but if you hire I'll be entertaining!

Tap dance the entire time.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol

Hmm, I will give it a try. Should I get fired, I will blame you.

14. PartyBoy Registered Member

If that's the case be sure to wear a jacket and tear away pants