How to buy a physical Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Saint, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the lessons, like I didn't know any of that. I am just messing with you....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I didn't say which money I meant, but anyway, you are just being pedantic here. The point was, that most of the dollars don't exists as real hard currency, they are just a number on a bank computer and were created out of thin air by the Feds.

Bottomline is, both the US dollar and bitcoin exist in physical form and digital form. These facts don't address their acceptance or usability, they are just facts...

P.S.: When you have a paperwallet, that is also a physical form of bitcoin. There is also a mental form when you memorize it and then delete it from your computer. At that point this coin address (and coins) doesn't exist anywhere but in your head. Mind blowing, isn't it???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This is just in: The government put a stop to making physical bitcoins:

http://rt.com/usa/caldwell-casascius-bitcoin-mint-157/

"Production of his "Casascius" physical Bitcoin has been recently brought to a halt, however, after Caldwell received a letter from the Department of the Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FINCEN. He announced on his website in late November that he had suspended taking orders “pending resolution of some concerns I have as to regulatory issues,” and now two weeks later he’s opened up and admitted that his Bitcoin business is the latest to be busted by federal regulators."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I'm surprised it is that low. I have read that the Russian mafia alone has more value in paper dollars than exist inside the USA. The drug cartels have truck loads of $100 bills by many estimates. Where does your data come from - I admit my "data" is more rumor / estimation than proven as these illegal groups are not publishing their books.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The end is near:
    However, I'm still willing to trade my filled book of green stamps for a shiny bitcoin.

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

What are the math problems to solve?
    What are the formulas?

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

China strikes bitcoin, price drops to as low as 455 USD.

10. suehoward Registered Member

Trading litecoins? So far, there are no exchanges that will allow you to purchase Litecoins. You have to purchase Bitcoins first and then use those Bitcoins with an exchange to trade for Litecoins. Got it?

11. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

It isn't like that: it is extremely complicated. Google bitcoin mining and bitcoin mining software.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I guess all that discussion about "legal tender" was over your head - mind blowing isn't it.

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well it's more than China, its Norway, Denmark, Sweden and the EU who are considering taking action against the Bitcoin and other virtual currencies. Norway has ruled Bitcoins are not currency. Additionally, the tremendous price volatility we are seeing in the bitcion does not speak well for its use as a viable currency. In a matter of days we have seen the Bitcoin trade for over a thousand dollars to three hundred dollars.

A hallmark of a successful currency is price stability. Price stability is one of the major reasons why central banks exist. There is no central banker for Bitcoin. Corporations go to great expense and lengths to maintain stability with currency hedges. All of this Bitcoin price instability makes Bitcoin very unattractive as a viable currency.

http://www.money.cnn.com/2013/12/13/technology/bitcoin-europe-regulation/index.html

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/15/5214772/bitcoin-not-real-money-says-norway-government

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It's back up $700 now.
    The volatility is crazy.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It's crazy. Why would anyone want to use a currency which you never know what it will be worth at any given moment. It could be four or five times what you bought it for or a small fraction of that amount. Price volatility makes commerce very difficult. Bitcoin appears to be better suited for internet gambling.

If all your assets were in Bitcoin and you paid your bills in Bitcoin, you would never know if you could pay your bills. You could be rich, you could be poor. Maybe you could pay our bills, then maybe not. You just wouldn't know.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps some company like MtGox could perform a service where its value was unimportant.
    For a tiny fee they convert your currency into Bitcoins, pay your bill in Bitcoins, then convert the payment, if the recipient wants them to, back into their currency.
    Much like a credit card.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well they have that today. There are places that convert Bitcoin to currency. Up until recently Bitcoin prices have only been going up. The problem is you don't know what the Bitcoin will be worth at some future point in time.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

No, I'm talking about using Bitcoins as an intermediary currency.
    If the exchanges are done instantly, the price doesn't matter.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps that would remove some of the anonymity,
    but there would be nothing theoretically to tie the buyer to the seller.

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have a suspicion that a recent press release on "Buying bank accounts for $300's, which contain hundreds of thousands of dollars in" is only possible through laundering money from manipulated values in both real world stock and such virtual currencies as Bitcoin. After all if a crash was to occur from an investigation proving this, people would be questioning where exactly the money went, and then the chase will be on for reclamation with the crooks that sold the accounts attempting to walk away soon enough not to get caught later.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

anyone can explain why a virtual currency can appreciate?

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Anything is worth what people are willing to pay for it.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Any links?