How to buy a physical Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Saint, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

How to buy a physical Bitcoin?
    So that I can keep it like keeping gold for future appreciation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

There is no such thing as a physical bit coin. That's kinda the point.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

There is. A company in Utah was making them, but I think they are out of stock so I would say Ebay. Because of it uniqeness, it has a serious surcharge and people bought it as a collector item... The earliest ones had a misspelling on them, making it even more valuable...

Google "casascius coin"

Edit: I have found one on Ebay, it is 1750$, so twice as much as the digital version... The first year version is $2200...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

A lot of companies make them, but they amount to little more than a fancy way to write down the code for the real (virtual) bit coin.

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

If I have bit coin, how to change it for cash?

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You said there was no such a thing...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For Saint, google the problem dude. bitcoins.com answers your questions

10. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

If you stopped reading there, then you misunderstood: a lot of companies are producing things that aren't real bit coins.

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

I don't see any website can sell me a physical bitcoin.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Didn't I tell you technically they exist, but practically the makers not taking orders??? Meaning that no, currently you can't buy physical ones. But you can print out your wallet (called paper wallet) and that is your physical bitcoin...

Edit: If you have 3K to waste and pay a 100-150% premium, Ebay is your place:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...asascius &_nkw=casascius&_sacat=256&_from=R40

13. Saint Valued Senior Member

the wikipedia gives some websites to buy it,
    I am not sure which one is safest?
    I am in Malaysia,
    it seems that the banks here would not accept bitcoins.
    Foreign bank like Citibank, HSBC, do they accept bitcoins if I want to change it for cash?

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The Physical Bitcoins on eBay are collectors items.
    They sell at a premium because of that.
    Unless you want a collectible artefact, that is not the place to buy them.
    Bitcoins are a virtual currency, usually bought through special exchanges created for the purpose.
    The biggest exchange is Mt Gox. https://www.mtgox.com/
    This was sold to Tibanne, an IT company in 2011.
    Mt Gox has been trading for a few years now, and has not gained a reputation for crookedness.
    If I was buying a bitcoin, that is where I would buy one.

Mt. Gox originally stood for “Magic: The Gathering Online eXchange,” and as you might guess, yes, Mt. Gox was first an online marketplace for the buying and selling of Magic: The Gathering cards. But that business didn’t last long, and it pivoted to a marketplace for buying and selling of Bitcoins in July 2010. Then, in March 2011, the founder sold the company to Japan’s Tibanne Co., which still operates Mt. Gox.

People sign up for accounts on Mt. Gox and move money from their bank accounts to the service. After the money goes through, they can use their credit on Gox to buy and sell Bitcoins.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/11/mt-gox-is-the-biggest-hurdle-to-bitcoins-legitimacy/

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Odd.
    It works fine now.
    It may be that the site was down.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Seriously Saint, there are dozens of websites and FAQs about bitcoin, do yourself a favour and read those first. There is no point for us to educate you on the matter, when the info is already available...

Bitcoin.org would be a good start or Moronic Monday on the Bitcoin subReddit, when you can ask any stupid questions and someone will answer it for you...

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

I install Litecoin on my PC, it is synchronizing transaction, but took very long time.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What price would you buy at?
    If they go down to $20, I might get one.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So shiny.....

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

So shinny, but they are not Bitcoins. Bitcoins are barcodes or more simplistically and succinctly, a series of computer generated numbers created by an anonymous programmer or programmers.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Next time you are going to tell me that the numbers in my bank account are not dollars, they are just digital manifestations of my wealth. But I can pay with them at any place/site that accepts debitcards, so they are as good as real, paper dollars.

And if so, then these are bitcoins.

Fun fact: Only about 8% or real, hard currencies are made of banknotes, the rest only exist in digital form in bank accounts....(I read it on the interwebs)

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No, if you have dollars deposited in a bank, you have dollars in that bank. You have ownership of a legitimate widely recognized national currency. And you can transfer those dollars via wire, debit card, check, or take physical possession of those dollars. There is a difference between a real currency and a virtual currency. The dollar is a real currency backed, monitored, and regulated by a sovereign government. You cannot do all of those things or make similar claims with your Bitcoins.

When you buy a Bitcoin, you are purchasing a barcode which you hope to be able to trade for something else. With the Dollar, there is no hope involved. The dollar is tradable, it is legal tender. It is created by a government and backed by a government. As I said before, Bitcoins were created by an anonymous developer. Bitcoins are not legal tender in any country.

Actually, that isn’t correct for the US – not that it matters much. For the US, about 11% of the monetary supply is hard currency like Federal Reserve Notes and coinage. It doesn’t change the fact there is a difference between legal tender and Bitcoins.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/RELEASES/h6/current/default.htm

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender