How to avoid get married with an APD person?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by entelecheia, Oct 13, 2012.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It takes two to tango. :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. entelecheia Registered Senior Member

4% of male population. Source: My DSM V, free downloaded.

10%?, we are talking on big numbers now. Any farmacologycal/psychologycal treatment can help them to living together in family? If not, how living together can be tolerable?

There are any evolutionary reasons for this?
    I was read a non-sociopathic person could have been unable to throw atomic bomb over Hiroshima.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The following article seems appropriate for this topic. The author does use the character Dexter as an example, so it helps if you've watched that Showtime series.

Inside the Mind of a Psychopath

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

APD is also Afferent Pupillary Defect.

8. entelecheia Registered Senior Member

Antisocial is one word, not two: Anti-Social. For this reason my brain automatically wrote APD. ASPD is the correct form, but why? i have no idea.

9. entelecheia Registered Senior Member

Sure, but since Jack the Ripper, [the first s.k.?], the gallery of psychos evolved towards the most twisted. Seems they try to reach the paroxism. Fred West, Zodiak,...They could make a sequel of Saw.
    If both have the same disorder, why they are completely different from the machiavellian politician, the sly businessman?

10. seagypsy Banned Banned

I have always wondered about that. I wonder how much psychological manipulation goes into training soldier to overcome their aversion to kill. In the case of Hiroshima, I often wonder if the guys flying and dropping the bombs knew what devastation they were delivering before it happened. And what ever happened, psychologically, to those two airmen?

11. seagypsy Banned Banned

I was given the impression that sociopathy and psychopathy are similar in motivation but different in manifestation. Maybe it depends on how the person views killing. If their motivation is just to cause death and destruction, perhaps motivated more by hate, killing would be the result, but if their motivation is simply a superiority complex then they have to let people live so they have people to be better than. Who knows? Sometimes if I am able to see too much logic in a mental depravity it scares me that I could start to sympathize with the crazies. So I try to stop thinking about it too much.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Apparently, the popular notions of "normalcy" in Western psychology are based on an utopian scenario of how people ideally should behave in a world in which there are infinite resources of all kinds that are accessible to everyone, requiring no competition and no effort.

Then, if people don't behave that way in a world where resources are scarce and there is fierce competition over them just to survive, those people are called "mentally ill."

13. seagypsy Banned Banned

That's just my point. How much if any psychological manipulation was needed? Or did their existing perceptions of what was happening at the time provide the necessary stimulus to switch into kill or be killed mode? I have never been in a war situation and have never been on a battle field. It is not a perception I can relate to. I have never perceived my life to be in imminent danger at the hands of another human. So I wonder what was going through their minds at the time.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Whence the idea that a normal human would never kill anyone?

For example, governments of countries do it all the time, and it is considered legitimate.

15. seagypsy Banned Banned

I never said "a normal human would never kill". I think a normal human most certainly would, if put in the right circumstances.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Recently it's been asserted that although the human brain reaches its full adult size in late adolescence, it does not achieve its full adult programming until much later, around age 30. This, in a nutshell, is why very young adults have almost as much trouble as children with deferred gratification, acceptance of their own mortality, future planning, and all the other "adult" attitudes and behaviors.

I would say this explains why government leaders recruit the youngest people they can find to fight their wars for them.

Make a guy my age angry at another man and hand him a gun, and he'll say to himself, "Hmm. That guy probably has a wife and kids too. He may have an important job. Even if he's a complete dick who is unloved there may be some important, powerful people who find him very useful, and they won't take kindly to somebody killing him. I think I'll just go home and have dinner with the people I love. I'll think about this overnight and maybe in the morning I'll track this guy down on the internet and see if I can report him to someone who will take appropriate action."

Make a guy around 19-20 angry and hand him a gun, and he'll shoot the bastard--especially if he's been told that it's for the good of his country. And as soon as a few guys on both sides of the front lines have killed a few guys on the other side, everybody is angry and they're just shooting each other for revenge.

As population growth continues to drop until it finally turns negative in a few more decades, the world is going to be led by increasingly older people. We're already close to being the majority of voters, which is why there's such a huge bloc of independents. Maybe we'll see a vast reduction in war, as the older people regard the shrinking population of younger people as precious, and don't want them shooting each other.

Which supports the hypothesis that the people who rise to leadership positions in government are sociopaths. They have only two qualifications for office: They love power and they know how to win elections by promising whatever people want. Sounds a lot like sociopathy to me.

Once there, they use their persuasion skills to convince the young people, who haven't quite got their adult brain programming yet, that the Yanks or the Krauts or the Japs or the Gooks or the Towel-heads are really evil people who want to kill their families. This makes them angry so they'll go out and shoot them. Or even drop an A-bomb on them.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yep, we should all pretend that we are living in a world where resources are infinite and easily accessible to everyone, so when some people don't behave like Stepfordians, it must be that there is something wrong with them.

18. seagypsy Banned Banned

You jump to some really disturbing conclusions ya know.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

No.

It's people who refuse to look at their own selfish behavior, the trouble they are causing others, and who instead are eager to criticize and blame others for all that goes wrong, ruining those people's reputations -
    it's those people that are jumping to "some really disturbing conclusions."

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, I can't fit this comment and the earlier one about "Stepfordian" behavior into the flow of the thread. What are you responding to?

BTW, since the referent is literary/theatrical, "Stepfordesque" might be a more appropriate coinage, as in "Kafkaesque" and "Pythonesque."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What's so damn hard to understand about "it takes two to tango"?

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nothing. But it wasn't obvious that the remark I questioned was related to that. There are a lot of other points being made here and it could be any one of them. Sorry.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Its not that marriage causes divorce, its that 50% marriages don't last, clearly many if not a majority of humans have problems achieving life-time committed monogamous relationships. I choose to live outside of such a failed system, I accept that I probably won't find my "soul mate" and I fine with that.