How much do you stake on your opponent being wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by greenberg, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Adstar Valued Senior Member

"There can be no discussion with you,"

Why? Because the belief that the other one holds is too frightening for you to even contemplate?

I believe in the Eternal Lake of Fire yes 100% I do not try and "spiritualise" it away with inventive interpretations of scripture to make my faith more palatable to others. And no i do not hold on to it out of hope of vengeance against people who have mocked insulted and hurt me here. I know the end Days before the coming of the Lord will be so terrible that i would not even wish that upon my enemies, As has been said people will long to die but they will not be able to die.

I say what i believe to give a warning to others in the hope the revelation will act to motivate them to genuinely seek truth and be saved from that Lake of fire.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

It is said (by Lori and some other people and some common Christian arguments) that in order to come to heaven, one must believe in God. If one doesn't believe in God, one will end up in hell.

Now, the thing is that I -and many others- don't believe in God. This means that according to Lori and some others, I -and many others- am going to go to hell. Eternal hell.

What communication do you think is possible between people like her and people like me?

I don't think there is much communication possible between people like her and people like me.

If I am evil, deluded or in denial, then I am unable to see who acts accordingly to belief in God and who does not.

Of course, if I am evil, deluded or in denial, then I do not know that I am evil, deluded or in denial. This is the whole crux of the matter.
    I would hope that those who suspect or accuse people of being evil, delusional or in denial, would take into consideration the double bind that this situation presents. However, it has been my exprience that this rarely happens. Those who suspect or accuse people of being evil, delusional or in denial, usually do not take into consideration the double bind that this situation presents, and instead insist that the evil, delusional or denying person do the impossible: instantly see through their evilness, delusion or denial.

When I suspect someone of being evil, delusional or in denial, I don't accuse them of such, and I make an effort not to present them with reasoning or choices that they, per definition as being evil, delusional or in denial, could not possibly make.

No.

Are you never afraid that you are evil or delusional or in denial (whereby I mean the kind of psychological denial where the person is unaware that they are in denial)? I am.

So when someone tells me "You are willfully rebelling against God!" - if I am evil, delusional or in denial, then I might be in fact rebelling against God, even though I am unaware of it. However, if it is true that I am evil, delusional or in denial, I have no way of knowing or testing whether I am rebelling or not, because my evilness, delusion or denial is always one step ahead of my awareness, possibly tricking me into thinking that I am not rebelling, when in fact I am.

So at this point, I have exactly two options: To continue my way, or to blindly believe the Christians. And I say blindly, because a person who is evil, delusional or in denial, per definition cannot have genuine, informed belief.

And if I am not evil, delusional or in denial, then how come I don't already believe in God?!
    I would imagine that if I am not evil, delusional or in denial, then I would already believe in God. Only an evil, delusional or denying person would not believe in that which is good and pure.

But what exactly are you trying to do here, what are your intentions?
    She basically called everyone worthless who doesn't think the way she does, and now she's upset because we don't strive to get her approval.

And why have you said my name so many times?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

If that is the case, you should know that you'll catch more flies with honey....

and threatening people into being good or seeking out God is like (you or God) beating a slave to make them behave.

No loving God would set it up like that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I think about eternal hellfire every day.

I cannot have any discussion with Lori anymore because in order to discuss with her, I either
    1. need to believe exactly as she does, which for me means I would have to believe it blindly - which I refuse to,
    or
    2. not take her seriously at all and not believe her at all - which I refuse to,
    or
    3. consider her superior to myself, consider her my guru - which I refuse to,
    or
    4. consider myself superior to her and intent to teach her - which I refuse to do as well because I don't think I'm qualified.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

Do you agree that there are those who say they believe in God, but don't ac tually believe?
    My point is, we view belief purely on what someone says, not how they act.
    In the mahabharata, you will find the character Kamsa, who was a demon (evil personified). He set his heart on killing God (Krishna).
    To cut a long story short, he was eventually killed by God, and recieved salvation. The reason being, his antagonistic attitude toward God, made him think of God all the time right up to his demise.

Why don't you believe in God?

You have to understand each others position, and communicate within that understanding. (common ground)

"Evil" is a nature, you can only be evil in full consciousness of what you're doing. People do evil things, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are of an evil nature. The same with good.

With the exception of deluded, I would say of course you would know.

Did she accuse you of these things, or have you deduced that she must be accusing you?

And it is the same with belief.

Evil, and delusional, are different, wouldn't agree?
    I would be more concerned about the fear.

So how do you become aware of it?

What about trying to understand things for yourself?

Maybe you do believe in God, but are not convinced with the institutionalised version of God.

My intention is to pinpoint your exact bone of contention. To look at what you're saying, and try to understand it from its root position, then build a platform of understanding from there.

I dunno.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Jan.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

they don't practice a religion and as far as i can tell my mother is too busy to think about god, and i know my dad believes in god but i don't know specifics.

whatever Q. you atheists chaulk everything you don't want to believe up to delusion. it's easy and it works for you. close-minded and irresponsible but...

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But, most likely, they are Christians.

Irresponsible? Close-minded?

The fact that you have had so-called "personal experiences" which you attribute directly to divine intervention without an inkling of support other than biblical scriptures is supposed to be responsible and open-minded?

Lori, if you come here making all those claims without a shred of evidence and no references to your 'personal experiences' other than what you want to believe from scriptures, please be aware that beyond delusion, you've not provided anything else one could attribute to other than delusion or mental illness. This isn't an insult. It's simply the way it is.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

greenberg, you're drivin' me nuts. why in god's name do you think about this eternal hellfire everyday?! and why do these any of these things have to be true for you to have a discussion with me? why do you have to judge me or yourself for that matter in order to communicate? no one believes exactly as another believes. how can they? no two people experience and so know the same exact things. you can take me seriously without necessarily "believing" me. as i said before, you SHOULD NOT believe in god just because someone else tells you to, or tells you about their experience. what you could do is if you think us theists may be telling you the truth, and not "deluded" albeit the standard atheist explanation for everything we attest to, is do what i did and say, "HEY GOD! if you're real, then why don't you prove it to me? because i want to know FOR SURE." and if you really mean it and are willing to take on the consequences of it, HE WILL. now did that make me "superior" to you? i don't see how. why must it be a question of superiority? it's the whole right vs wrong ego thing again with you isn't it? why can't it be that we have had different lives with different experiences, one no better, one no worse, not a path that's more right or wrong than the other, and we can come together to share and learn from each other? what is with the superiority complex, really?

12. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i swear i don't know what is so unfathomable about hell to anybody who lives on this earth. we've turned it into a modern day global torture device. living in this world is a slightly nicer version of hell (for some). it doesn't take that far of a stretch of an imagination to contemplate hell as a real existence, and this place is about the blow sky high. it could be reigning fire in the middle of a nuclear holocaust and people will still be pissed off about some spiritual hell.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and greenberg, hell is not a punishment. it's a state of existence perpetuated by a lack of knowledge. the lack of knowledge being willful. is that evil, delusional, or in denial? i urge you to examine your own intentions here. only you can...i'm not about to. to turn away from knowledge is evil. the whole ignorance is bliss thing. it allows you to escape judgement and repentence. well, it rationalizes it anyway. don't you think that if god is who he says he is...if he is who we say he is...if he is what he's supposed to be by very definition...that he'll be able to prove himself to you? of course he can. so i'd urge you to trust that, and to examine thoroughly, and to trust your own intentions in this matter.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Uh, because it's never been shown to exist?

But, it certainly does take the imagination to contemplate it, as nothing else could.

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

WILL YOU LISTEN TO YOURSELF?!!! you're talking about MY parents!!! what the fuck do you know about MY parents?!?!?! and you have the audacity to call other people delusional?!?!? YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE!

and what kind of evidence do you propose that i give to you, as to a spiritual experience that i've had exactly? physical evidence of a spiritual interaction?

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Q, i can not have a conversation with you. you do not want to know what i have to say to you. I don't even want to know what i have to say to you. i have you on my ignore list for a reason. i just have to try to remember that, and it's hard for me, as congratulations, you're the first and only person that i've ever had on that list in my nine years as a sciforums member. good bye!

17. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Theoretically, yes, but I don't know how to recognize them.

Actually, my situation is more complex: I could neither say that I believe in God, nor that I don't believe in God. I don't know for sure what God is - I have no experience for which I could say with surety "This has to do with God". So, in effect, I don't believe in God.
    Of course plenty of people would accuse me of "philosophical sham" here.

We don't have a common ground.

Would someone doing something evil admit (even if just to themselves) they are doing something evil?

Not when it comes to psychological denial. Psychological denial occurs under durress and the person is not aware they are in denial.
    The difference between denial and delusion is that in denial, the person at some point in the past knew about that which has later been denied; whereas in delusion, there has never been an awareness of it.

She has accused me of pretense. She has presented me with choices that were impossible for me to make.
    Other charges came from some other people.

Yes. But some of their effects are the same - like lack of recognition of the truth.

Yes? What does a persons' fear that they might be evil, delusional or in denial tell you?

I don't know. Within the doctrine of Christianity, there seems to be no way to become aware of these things.

Within the doctrine of karma, however, there seems to be opportunity to become aware of these things, even if might might take several lifetimes to do so.

Well, what does it mean "to understand things for myself"?
    I do not consider any opinion or belief to be really my own ( <-- not even this).
    To me, these discussions about spirituality are much like a broth, nothing of it really me or mine.
    But I do know that if I act on some beliefs, this causes me suffering, while if I act on other beliefs, it does not cause me suffering - seeking happiness and avoiding suffering are the most reliable drives.

That might very well be so.
    But what is the use of such a belief in God? I cannot share it with anyone, discuss it with anyone, test it with anyone. I might as well be crazy.

The exact bone of contention? I'll put it in the form of questions:

1. Is human effort ultimately for naught and we need someone else to save us from suffering? In other words, is belief in God (and according action) necessary for making an end to suffering?
    2. Does eternal hellfire exist?
    3. How to act -so as to not cause oneself and others suffering- when one suspects one might be evil, delusional or in denial?

18. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

And if I still don't find God, this means only one thing: That my intentions were not genuine. Right?

If I think that my intentions are genuine, this doesn't mean anything. Right?

19. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

You are suggesting something that is impossible to do.

I don't know what the consequences of knowing God are, so I cannot know in advance whether I am willing to take them on or not.

Knowing God makes you superior.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

of course it means something greenberg. only you and god can work this out and i'm not judging you. what i'm doing is telling you honestly, the intentions and outcome of those intentions that i had myself when i was searching, and i found that according to scripture, it made sense. so now, i believe it's law, and i believe that because i can't believe that he would do anything different for me than he would for anyone else.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

no it doesn't, that's hog wash. where the hell did you get that lame idea?

you get to know him, you'll find out real quick that none of us are superior.

and greenberg, he's GOD. he created you. how can you NOT want to know?

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, are you saying for a fact that they are NOT Christians?

Firstly, you could demonstrate that "spiritual interaction" actually exists. By what mechanism do "spirits" interact with humans, what biological function of the body or brain incorporates the supernatural? None have ever been found to exist thus far so your case would be the first, if you can actually demonstrate anything you say. So far, you've not done that in the least.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Putting me on ignore is not going to help support your position. You still have yet to demonstrate a single one of your so-called "spiritual interactions" or "personal experiences" have anything to do with gods.