How much do you really eat?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Absane, May 28, 2011.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Have any of you ever tracked your daily food intake? Maybe you did for a diet or you did for just shits and giggles? It seems that from day to day, I *feel* like I am barely making it by with only 2,000 calories. However, when I track my food intake I am quite shocked. I remember a few years ago that for a college course in nutrition, I had to track what I ate. I consumed about 3,100 calories in a day... and I was still hungry. My diet hasn't changed much at all since then.

Despite having a high calorie intake, I couldn't figure out why I felt fairly lethargic for someone that is pretty active. It turns out that after tracking my macronutrients, most of my calories come from fat and carbohydrates while my protein intake is lacking VERY much.

I eat a lot of peanut butter. And, what I *thought* was 190 calories of peanut butter is actually close to 600 calories. To make it worse, I eat several servings of this a day!

I am not against eating fat, but I really need to trade some of this in for protein. And, in fact, I have been doing that in the last few days. Man oh man do I feel much more energetic. Not only that, but my friend has been noticing that I am leaning out, and quick.

So, how about ya'll?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Yo dog what's bangin?

I don't eat too much as that would be unhealthy and unnecessary. Only eat the nutrients that your body craves. Make sure that the food is in a store where the cashiers have good hygiene especially in closed spaces, as the bacteria from the air can become immersed in the food you eat. To check to see whether the food is anything but safe you could always smell it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

The problem with "only eating the nutrients that [my] body craves" is that by my very nature, I crave fats and carbohydrates. Maybe I have been trained to do this, but it's still what I crave. Though, I am fairly good at reading my body and I know it wants a steak and an apple.

However, I will give you that my diet has been evolving over the years due to diligent and conscious effort. I've traded sodas for water and I've traded most of my refined grains in for whole grains. My next step is to trade in some of my fat intake for meat. I find that when I do that, I feel much better.

As for bacteria... eh, I don't care that much. I think my immune system is strong because I tend to do stupid shit that forces my body to adapt. I'm sure that if the plague came back, I'd be one of the last ones to die

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've tried to trade sodas for water and just can't seem to keep it up more than a week before I absolutely have to have a soda or coke again. I am trying something new though. A new product called Slim Patch. You stick it to your skin one patch every 24 hours 6 days a week. Average weight loss is 2 lbs per week without changing your diet. It's worked well for other people I know that get very little exercise because of age. I've only been doing this for two weeks and am down about 5 lbs already.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

It's not that hard... you just need to retrain your brain to desire water whenever you want a soda. If you are addicted to the caffeine, well then I understand. I kicked my addiction to sodas A LONG TIME before I kicked caffeine. I just substituted the sodas for water and caffeine pills. Finally I'm off the caffeine.

And how much of that weight is water? In the best case scenario, you lost 5 lbs of fat in 2 weeks. That is like burning an extra 1250 calories a day of pure body fat. That's doable, but I doubt it. You'd be better served to lift weights to build muscle, which burn calories (which includes fat).

9. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

as a college kid with limited responsibilities, I literally spend all my money on food (ok fine, so I buy weed too- happy now?)

I pound at least 3000 calories on any given day (6 feet, 175)
    I eat all kinds of food, with a special affection for Thai and Mexican.
    Although I eat enough for a small village, I avoid processed crap like Cheez-itz and candy and white bread and other empty calories.

It's funny, my whole life I rejected the organic health food my parents shoved down my throat. I longed to be like the other kids with Lucky Charms and white bread PB&J. And then something strange happened, and I began to endorse and consume healthy food. It is possible to train your brain to crave wholesome, healthy foods. I am living proof.

I eat a lot, but I exercise daily, and my food choices are generally healthy. I just listen to my body. Craving a salmon burger? I probably need protein and omega fatty's; craving an apple? fiber deficiency; craving walnuts or bananas? I need a serotonin boost.

I've come to realize my body is a lot smarter than I am, so I listen carefully, then reward Papa Bear (that's my stomach)

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The first half of my epic diet from hell I had an 1800 calorie daily target, then pared down to 1500 calories.

I either ate lots of veggies or I went nuts due to hunger.

But, yeha, after the hell year, I see people eating normal American portions, and I say "That's about 800 calories," or something.

This really annoys everybody

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Our bodies were built to take abuse. And we have X amount of it we can take before it overtakes us and we start decomposing while alive. Sad but true- you start dyin' after 25 at most. By 67, you're mostly dead; a fragment of what you once were.

I am a Vegan. This means I cut out the red meat primarially, and cut out all other meats (and fleshes too). No meat; no flesh.

This means I will not die from a heart attack which is great because that's what does my family in genetically.

I can easily go without eating- I don't know if it's because of my religion, my philosophy or my Vegan anatomy- often I go without eating for the day.

Often times I will eat a processed (and edible to me) food and taste the overload of chemicals in it- if you don't know what I am talking about then you're part of the problem.

12. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Don't let Frag in on this......

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

That is kind of morbid, jmpet.

I hope to have a rambunctious old age. And dread the idea of retiring.

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I will retire when I am no longer able to function, not before. I hope to emulate Jack LaLane and live to a very active ripe old age. :itold:

Also, at 60 - when some believe I am mostly dead - I can still outperform most people regardless of their age. This due, as you know, to a very healthy diet and lifestyle. I do not believe that I will be "mostly dead" in 7 years, though I do anticipate being able to run further than 10 miles a day 7 days a week by then.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Stoni's grandkids on the playground:

"Well, my grand-dad can beat up your whole family! In two seconds!"

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What people eat is really up to them to decide what it is they want and then everything in moderation. I use to eat quite allot because I worked in construction and outdoors everyday so I could eat anything and work it off. As I grew older I haven't been eating as much as I use to and not the things I once enjoyed. I have become allergic to many food items, peanuts, milk, chocolate, shellfish and other things as well. I use to eat 3 meals a day but now just eat 2 for I'm not as active as I once was so I really don't "crave" more food just what I need to get by and with that I still gain some weight because of inactivity due to health reasons. Oatmeal, whole grain toast and apple juice for breakfast and turkey, sweet potatoes and corn with a lemonade for dinner. I treat myself to an occasional sushi dinner or a steak once in a great while but not as often as before. Drinking saki, wine, water, lemonade, apple juice and orange juice are far better than those carbonated beverages I once consumed by the gallon. Just eat anything but in moderation and you should do OK with your diets. :itold:

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

That's another thing I've worked on. I used to go to fast-food restaurants like McDonalds and buy the 800-1000 calorie meals. I'm not exactly sure how I changed my habit on this, but now all I typically buy is the sandwich.

I haven't lost any weight AT ALL by cutting out sodas and the extra junk at the fast-food joints.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Caffeine is not a problem, but I think it's the carbonated surgar I have a problem with.

You could be right, but what I'm hopping for here is that the patch will increase my metabolism so that my body burns more calories. Yeah! I know that's probably wishful thinking, but I can invest a couple of months to find out.

19. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Oops. I said 67 because that is the formal retirement age- when you start getting Social Security and an age when people start second guessing you based on your age.

Sure there's lots of people 67 and up who are healthier than me but that is the exception and not the rule.

20. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

3100 calories intake is quite normal for an active young man. And if you are into sports a lot, or have a hard physical job, it could actually be not enough.

Maybe that is why you were hungry.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I haven't tracked my caloric intake in a long while, but when I have in the past I was kinda shocked to discover that I was consuming roughly 1500-2000 calories daily. I'm a very active person, but also very thin--6 foot tall and 135 pounds; still, I'm not sure how I manage to subsist--and in good health--on such a small diet.

I'm predominantly vegan, with some occasional (free-range) eggs and dairy, and my diet includes a lot of fat (nuts, oils, avocados, etc.) and a fair portion of protein, but it's still kind of a mystery to me. When I'm extremely active, for prolonged periods, i.e. biking 80 to 100 miles daily while pulling a trailer, I know that I consume a good deal more.

I recall an essay detailing the diets of American prisoners of war in Japan during World War II. They found that the American required roughly twice the caloric intake as the Japanese, just to maintain their body weight. Obviously, Americans are a trifle larger than the Japanese--especially today, in this age of obesity--but they're not that much bigger! And I seriously doubt that the Americans were leading significantly more active lifestyles. Don't recall the conclusions of the study, but I suspect they were something along the lines of, "everyone's built differently, metabolizes differently, and has become accustomed/trained their bodies to "require" a certain daily intake.

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I'm mooching in on my grandmother a little, since I do the shopping for her I get the priviledge of eating dinner there whenever I want to, which is quite often, since it's very convenient to just cross the street and have dinner ready and waiting. Always very fattening, but very delicious, so usually I don't eat much during the day or later, mostly drink coffee or yoghurt, eat some nuts and perhaps one or two sandwhiches for breakfast. I eat a lot actually. I should go on a diet. Last year I did the whole Ramadan thingy though, when is it this year?

23. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

Parmalee- we are the same height, I am 40 pounds heavier than you, and people call me "twiggy"!

I am genuinely concerned for your health and well-being.