how many hours can you go w/o sleep?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by valentino, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Okay, maybe a little less than that. But nothing extraordinary. So sue me.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Truly, I have never been deprived of my sleep-time for more than 18 or so hours.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Everyone should try going about three straight days. But trust me, you better be sure you have nothing to do during those days!!!!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I may give it a shot. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do during the night, however.

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

No. You need someone with you each of the second nights. Trust me. You will just fall asleep if you dont have someone to talk to or even just stare blankly at. Thankfully the guy I had with me would just sleep during the day for seven hours so he was fine at night.

My advise - listen to music, sit and talk. Oh, and take up smoking!! Those cigars are about the only thing sometimes that kept me busy and conscious.

9. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

ive done about....33-34 hours

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ill try for 48 next time

but around hour 29 or 30, i had detention so i had to sit in a chair for 40 minutes, i tried to read, i literally passed out for a few seconds at a time, but never really went to sleep, then i got up and drove home

10. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I haver only done a 24 hour period. That was because I couldn't sleep. Hey, I have an Idea, how about I don't sleep for the whole weekend, I was awake at 6:30 this morning, and if I go until 6:40 sunday evening, then that would be... 60 hours? or are my calculations off because I am tired from talking about sleep?

11. Raha Registered Senior Member

3 days - I did not count the hours. It was during "velvet revolution" in my country. Lots of excitement. I think my adrenaline was in maximum. (How many times in your life you have a chance to make "history"?) It was OK. I felt good, no halucination, my mind was perfectly clear - but my friends told me that in the 3rd day I was like movie in slow motion

When I forced myself to sleep, I slept for 24 hours.

12. New Life Registered Senior Member

My longest run was 2 weeks with a total of 10 hours sleep. I thought for sure i was going crazy after the first 3 days. Then I found out its just insomnia and that i"m not really going crazy so its fine. I'm currently in my 23 hour since my last sleep.

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Never been one that just could not sleep. My work schedule keeps my sleeping from having any kind of habit. Usually I complete a 200 mile drive at about 20 hours up. There has been the occasion when I have put in 120 to 130 hours in a week, however rare that has been.

There was once when I was in service, it was cold, no heaters, and we were in tracks. It was a two week feild problem and we just stayed on the go all the time. After the first week had passed and we were into the second week, I happened to fall asleep on my feet, standing up. First and last time I have managed to do that one.

14. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

30 hours here :bugeye:

preparing luggages, getting ready for a lifechanging trip, travelling, and well, related stuff.

15. nico Banned Banned

The most I went without sleeping was about.... 30 hours. It was the weirdest experiance of my life. After hour 15 I started to get a little hungry and lightheaded. Then hour 20 I was full (didn't eat anything) and more light headed. By hour 28+ I was actually dancing to nothing. Morbidly walking around like a drunk takling to things that were not there. I remember that I spun myself so much that I fell on the floor and slept for the next 13 hours. I was more tired after the sleep then before. :bugeye: The human body.

16. i am not worthy. the most i've been without sleep is like 30 hours, then i had to force my self to sleep. but tonght i plan on staying up until the wee hours of morning.

*takes another sip of his Jolt Cola*

17. valentino Registered Senior Member

I'm now on my second sleep-deprived run this week. Last time I was surprisingly creative and charming after hour 35. Seriously, I wrote three new songs after having writer's block for a month. They may not make sense, but at least it's something.

18. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

most = 48hrs. Clinically insane at hour 40. Insomnia for 4 months afterwards. Regret = No. Fun(hedonism) = 101%.

19. river-wind Valued Senior Member

There was a reporter in the 50's who did an experiment with sleep deprivation, and stayed up for 5 days. By the end he was freaking out, shouting that his tie was trying to bite his face

Sleep is a good thing ++

20. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

you people almost make me want to try going a week without sleep...

21. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

hmmm

i once stayed awake for 32 hours, from the night before i went away well into the time i went out that night by about hour 31 i almost collapesed in an alcohol induced stupor, i went outside of the club i was in and fell asleep againts a wall

22. MrMynomics The Boss Registered Senior Member

40 cups of Coffee keeps the Doctor away.

23. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

My record is 30
    It was when I was waiting for a morning flight and I reached the airport the day before....
    After that day, I spent my week sleepy...