How long is a COVID 19 throat swab viable for testing when NOT stored properly?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by ToR original, May 23, 2020.

1. ToR original Registered Member

Here's a question I can't seem to get any Virologist to answer.

How long is a COVID 19 throat swab viable for testing when NOT stored properly?

The specific example

If a covid19 throat swab sample was returned to the LAB via regular 2nd class post (2-7 days) and it took 5 days to reach the sorting office (was in sealed package but not temperature controlled) would that sample when retrieved by the lab still be a viable sample for testing?

ie. Does it/should it be refrigerated same day etc?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ToR original Registered Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No.

I used to work in a photo lab. Customers would try to return film, and I would have to point out to them that it could have easily been sitting on their dashboard in direct sunlight and reached a temperature well over 120F.

There is no point in testing something a sample whose provenance you cannot verify.
    Food for thought: What would you do if it came back negative? What would you do if it came back positive?

ToR original likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ToR original Registered Member

I will tell you what I 'did' Dave

I immediately reported this company and what do you think the powers that be have done about it? ZERO. I'm still working on it. I just needed to know for certain what the situation was regarding how the sample was returned to the lab.

Last edited: May 24, 2020