How far is too far?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by swarm, Apr 2, 2009.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Because these questions get to the heart of some important issues.

The acts described are heinous. Any actual person coming close to doing these things would be rightly considered a most despicable villain. Yet the same people who revile Hitler for what he did, praise god for doing worse.

Remember theists generally don't have relative good and evil.

Also watching the machinations which zealots got to in order to rationalize away the problem really highlights how morally bankrupt they are.

Finally it brings home the common ground that no matter what you may believe about god, the one thing you can be sure of is he is not to be found in the myths of men.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

If you are going to go with a comic book hindu version of rebirth and karma. But we aren't talking about people, we are talking about gods and gods don't get out of karma. Also, even that karma is a mix of what was and what is, what you are doing and have done and what the others involved are doing and have done. Your "previous karma" might put you in a position to be shot by some one, but they still have to choose the evil act and shoot you.

For a god to act in a heinous manner would seem a good reason to choose some other god to focus your worship on if you don't wish to be sucked into their evil ways.

A parent literally gives their child life and you can be taken away from god in most belief systems.

Well yes you are morally bankrupt and justifying the unjustifiable by inventing things in "previos lifetimes." This is because in your last lifetime you were Hilter. See how easy that is?

Personally I think every one was innocent in their "previous lives" and any mishaps are from this life's actions and the luck of the draw.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No. You don't understand. I suspect you don't want to.

I certainly wouldn't do it. There are many other things I wouldn't do under threat of hell. There's nothing misplaced about it.
    Is there anything you wouldn't do to avoid hell? Wait, don't answer that. Look for the thread on it I'm starting.

Surely you can see you're being very silly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

swarm

er ... no

I actually said I establish what constitutes a primary detail and what constitutes a secondary detail .... of course feel free to go on determining what constitutes religion by analyzing secondary characteristics but you should realize that you are distinguishing yourself not only from theistic philosophy but also the intelligent criticisms of theism posed by atheists too.
    still can't see the elements of fideism in such a statement?
    that's fine, but the problem is that you haven't really established the grounds for questioning just yet (namely that god is heinous)
    not at all

but at the same time, I am not such a cowardly mindless drone that I would accept an incoherent argument (such as "god is heinous since he burns people unlike me, however I participate in BBQ's") either ....
    hehe

even if that was the case, I wouldn't be alone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Cherry picking by any other name...

You are so busy trying to dodge, you haven't bothered yet to understand the question.

You burn people in BBQs? You are pretty sick dude.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you can explain how your assertions about religion are primary as opposed to secondary I will overlook the cherry stains on your fingers

The question is how come god is more heinous than you.
    The answer is that you are more heinous than god.

Actually I don't eat meat .... but there is a general consensus that eating raw meat makes for an exceptional whackiness even amongst avid meat eaters ... if that's what you mean.

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Is it impossible for you to participate in a discussion ON THE TOPIC of the OP???

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

Cherry picking religions is your deal.

nope. try reading it this time.

so you bbq them and then waste the meat?!

12. The Breaker Registered Member

I understand, or at least I try. I have asked myself the same question in the past.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If you're trying, you fail miserably.

What question?

14. The Breaker Registered Member

The question asked by the OP.

"Understanding" is subjective. You feel I am failing miserably, I don't. I do feel that I can't understand another's beliefs completely as they are not mine. I also like to think that I do my best to understand because each of us had no choice in believing what we do.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Swarm
    hehe

whenever you have the stamina to establish that your ideas of religion as distinct from secondary, please be our guest.

Every religion to my knowledge that has a god, has god doing horrific things.

Do you need neon signs?
    I have no need to partake of the heinous activities of yourself, if that's what you mean

16. swarm Registered Senior Member

Why would I even care to? Cherry pick to your heart's content. Create a fantasy you like better than the traditional ones, that's all hari krishna is to begin with any way, what's his name's fantasy of how it ought to be instead of how it traditionally was. Maybe you can rewrite a book of your own "purports."

Try actually reading the op. I'm sure some one as smart as you can eventually figure out the simple question.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

at a guess, because its a prerequisite for a coherent argument...

meh

google "reflexive criticism'
    Without an even clear understanding of historyographic elements of your preferred object of theistic ridicule (namely christianity), its obvious that you are in no position to begin working on others .... (but as long as you have your google window open, you might want to try "vaishnavism")

.... once again

Do you need neon signs?

:shrug:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Look who's talking about coherent arguments. The blind thinking he can lead the sighted.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Where do you get these words?! Or 'henology'?

You do realize that neither the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, nor the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, nor Wikipedia have entries for the above mentioned terms?

Anyway, good terms (as a further internet and dictionary search reveals), kudos to you.

20. swarm Registered Senior Member

As usual, you are mistaken.

While you are googling away I suggest looking up the meaning of the word "question" since you can't distinguish one from a statement. Let's try a game of answer the questions...

Is there a point at which god is so heinous that even a religious person won't worship him?

Do you religious people have any standards at all or will you worship god no matter what?

Doesn't that bother you at all?

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

mistaken that you have a need for a coherent argument?
    OK .... I stand corrected

The problem is that there is a difference between a "loaded question" and a "question"

A first inquiry in the general direction of critical literacy might be somewhere in the vicinity of "why is it exactly that you insist on working with a god that is heinous and horrific?"

22. Japarican Registered Senior Member

I believe in God on my own terms. I don't always go by what "religious people" say. After all, we are all human so how do we know what God really wants.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What diference does it make.???