How do you know that it was Jesus who died on the cross?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Sep 29, 2011.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Babbling pagan, STOP. Heed my warning. If it is a painted picture of God you seek you will not find, it is faith that you pray you will find. Have faith, I am in good standing with the father. Have faith you have not beem damned, Have faith or you will burn. Why? Because I say soo.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@Knowledge --

You know what no theist has ever been able to adequately explain? You lot, you keep harping on about faith and how it's so awesome, but not a single one of you has ever been able to explain why it's that great.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

I will explain my understanding and please you explain what you understand

Faith is a belief in something you don't see >

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arioch Valued Senior Member

@arauca --

Oh come on, that's a complete straw man and a non-sequitur, as you well know.

An atom is something we can't see but we can still find evidence that shows that they exist, we can find no such evidence for god. No, I understand what religious faith is and it's not just "believing in something you can't see", it's believing in something regardless of what you see.

Furthermore this doesn't answer my question. What does the definition of faith have to do with the value of faith?

Here's what I think. You assume that faith has an intrinsic value and because you've made that assumption you haven't really looked at whether or not it does.

8. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

There are no accounts by any eye witness. There are no contemporary accounts of the whole crucifiction-ressurection thing at all. The first accounts of any kind of the myth of Jesus were by Josephus, written a 150 years after the supposed event took place.

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

If you interpret the phrase 'something you don't see' to mean "that which there is no evidence for, and is beyond the realm of applicability of science", then the statement is correct.

10. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I consider faith knowledge

11. arauca Banned Banned

Please answer what faith is to you . Then I will go over your assumption

12. arauca Banned Banned

Don't say there is no account , You were not there , There are a lot of things that take place and we are not aware . Does the Talmod mention about Jashua do you know ? Have you heard about a Jewish sect called Nazarim.
    When He was crucified was should there have been a big hupla ? It was just before passover , when things are quiet . Think about when he rose , should he presented himself before the council and hay here I am ? Thy will get him again .Were the scribes not part of the council . Beside Jesus was not from Judea he was from Galilee, Man think practical.

Would you believe the Nazarim version ?

13. arauca Banned Banned

The word evidence , evidence can be circumstantial and direct . direct we can not have , because is 2000 years ago, so we look for circumstantial.
    So we have some old writing Talmod mentioned Jesus, should I believe ?
    the fact that I am a Christian , I am part of the continuation . Same way you as a Jew , You must have a beginning . Have you seen Abraham , Moses. The Maccabees brothers, Bar Kochab, are you a Safadim ?

14. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

This may be off-topic but according to the holy Qur'an also Jesus raised the dead.

I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by God's leave. And I heal the blind, and the lepers and I raise the dead by God's leave. (Quran, 3:49)

15. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Im happy with my life

16. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

For the most part, if an eye witness said to me that he saw someone die on a cross - I would probably believe him if there was no other motivation or extraordinary claim behind it.

It would be similar to someone saying to me today that they saw someone executed by the Electric chair or lethal injection. I would be inclined to accept what they have offered if it ended there.

17. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Random meaningless insults.....why not participate in the conversation and answer my questions? I have no need for a painted picture of God but it seems as though you do since you can't define what it is you are referring to.

"Because you say soo" - really? Offer something of substance :bugeye:

18. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Your consideration is incorrect.

19. wellwisher Banned Banned

If you consider ancient history, how do we know any of that was real? It has to do with character and good record keeping. In modern times, character is less important and the Internet allows people to pretend anything, maybe some people can't fully grasp the concept of honest record keeping.

I look at things based on results. If the entire story was a fabrication, how did this con last so long, especially when competing elements would lie and try to challenge even truth to gain an advantage? Only reality could stand the test of time.

20. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Belief has shown that it can stand the test of time over and over again. Can they all be right or reality?

21. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Watch your words, Pagan, he's listening

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Can't you accept dishonesty as part of this world? Or secrecy, or how about the destruction of documents to protect someone elses interest?

23. LIGHTBEING Registered Senior Member

Your perception of reality has nothing to do with him or me.