How do you deal with anti-science?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jeeves, Jan 19, 2020.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not really. It's a reasonable idea - the idea that an object at body temperature will cool faster as the wind picks up. The original scale used a bottle of water at body temperature. If it cooled at (say) 1 degree a minute in still air at 32F , and cooled at 1 degree a minute at 40F in 5mph wind (making up numbers here) then the "wind chill factor" at 40F/5mph is 32F.

But there have been at least three different ways to measure that over the years. And now they have some formula which is almost the same as the above.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

Lol, it's so humid up here a mate went fishing knee deep in water and pulled his camera out to take a photo and his expensive phone didn't bloody work. Luckily I found out he could just hold the down volume button and then press the start button to get it restarted as it just shut itself down. The very first VHS video recorders in the 70's used to do that too but they had a 'dew' light that showed when it had been tripped out by the humidity.

Lol 10 steps forward and 11 steps back.

I like all of the new Chinese productions and many of the older ones are pretty good too.

Isn't that 'Shen Yun' show put out by the Falun/Fallen Gong?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Shen Yun is actually a performing Arts company, based in New York that tours the world. And from what I here banned in China! It is visually incredibly entertaining.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

Paddoboy, when you use Google do you only just read the paid advertising stuff at the top or do you filter it out and have a look at what's left like me?

If you don't filter you don't get enough information to have an informed opinion and most likely deal with 'anti-science', Capish?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ese-dance-troupe-china-doesnt-want-you-to-see

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It depends. I saw Shen Yun a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed it for its entertainment value and beauty. I certainly did not get any anti chinese message or similar propaganda from it.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And I certainly am big enough and ugly enough to be able to sort any political propaganda and such from its entertainment value.
    And I have certainly been observant enough to weed out some religiously based anti science propaganda from a few on this forum over the years, despite their efforts to remain closeted or without an agenda.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  10. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

The difference, here, being that the guilt by association fallacy being used to deride is evident, while there's no such demonstration of denying the existence of any anti-science claims.

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

mostly quietly whisper what the fuck to my self

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Post in the religion forum.

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Pro-religion posters are not interested in learning about religion.

14. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I'm not anti-science, but I do think atheism is in the same boat.

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Seriously???

Please post YOUR definition of atheist which leads you to put atheists in the anti-science group

Might help if you can demonstrate a survey link or are you expressing a personal view?

Nothing wrong with such a view

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Which boat? Noah's Ark? The science boat? The anti-science boats? The non-God boat? (well, duh)

Got to be specific on your boats.

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ah. This is the thread this post was meant to be in...

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Pretty sure atheists are in the HMS Beagle.

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

So who do you think is anti Science and has no religious beliefs?

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Find out why they're anti-science. There is no option for this.

21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I don't think they'll ever change their minds, both sides, so ultimately it's pointless.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

There are varying degrees of “anti-science,” imo. I think there are flat out “cranks,” who only believe in alternative “theories,” but there are some who might need enlightenment, and genuinely don’t understand. What better place to seek it than on a science forum?

(Q) and paddoboy like this.
  23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well said...