How did Darwin define race?

Medium Dave: the question of race is a very contentious issue here (as is plainly obvious). SciFo does indeed have a preponderance of regular posters who regularly harp on this issue to advance their racist agendae. SciFo also has a preponderance of sockpuppets - banned posters returning under new names.

It in no way means you are either of those things, it simply means that this is the reality here, and it needs to be taken in to consideration.

Actually, he is proposing a model of common descent with modification. The question of race is left to those who wish to establish a classification system. He is proposing that given such a classification system, one based on perfect knowledge of genealogy is going to avoid the types of mistakes one gets when one looks only at morphology. This nowhere establishes any scientific utility to the notion of human "races" which Victorians were predisposed to imagine had reality and value.

Not at all. "Descent with modification" refers to heredity with mutation, not a classification system. The system Darwin refers to in his letter is purely descent based.

The immigrant-fueled success of Silicon Valley goes a long way to refute such antique notions.

Well now your making a subjective-normative judgement, based on cherry picked situation, and hilariously using the race concept to do that. You can see silicon valley is mixed race, and there are smart people of all races there. Granted. Does that case disprove average racial differences? Of course not! How silly.

Also, your incomprehension of Darwin's argument is compounded when you don't read his September 26 letter and T.X. Huxley's reply.

Well feel free to post them and explain how it contradicts me. "A letter disagrees with you" isn't an argument.

Only an anti-scientific troll refers to common decent with modification as "Darwinism". It's not a belief system, it's a empirically vetted model that explains the diversity of life. Typological models are based on the belief system of essentialism applied to biology — the claim that a banana is essentially different than a human so all that needs to be done is to identify some finite number of types and know that those definitions apply throughout all time and space. Typology is refuted by data which shows that not only are there no boxes around "kinds" but that the population of banana trees and the population of humans had in the distant past a common ancestral population, utterly defeating the notion that hard classification schemes work.

I think I see the problem here. Wikipedia:

"In the United States, creationists often use the term "Darwinism" as a pejorative term in reference to beliefs such as scientific materialism, but in the United Kingdom the term has no negative connotations, being freely used as a shorthand for the body of theory dealing with evolution, and in particular, with evolution by natural selection."
Typology is the study of types. It's really that simple. Types can be essentialist or cut arbitrarily from continuous variation. Darwin refuted essentialism, and I agree with him. The confusion is where you allow non-essentialist types in non-human taxonomy, then deny essentialist types in human taxonomy. I am saying that races are non-essentialist types of exactly the same nature as non-human taxa. We agree there are no "boxes" or "hard classification schemes". I am saying that race was not conceptualised as such by Darwin and isn't now. It's a strawman race concept.

They "kind of" work at temporal snapshots at macroscales because the way populations change over time is hidden by taking a brief snapshot and the branching of the tree of life has left populations well-separated by morphology at the Family level. But the notion of a species is generally where the classification system breaks down as the goal of species is to find the finest hard-box classification that works when hard-box models are known not to work.

Races and subspecies are certainly less distinct than species due to gene flow and blurred boundaries. This doesn't mean "the classification system breaks down". One can still group by ancestry or similarity. Unless you deny the subspecies concept?

Since human "races" are finer divisions yet, they are without merit in science. In medicine, it makes more sense to treat the individual than some population grouped by ancestry or collection of morphological traits.

What? "Finer divisions" are without merit? Contrived nonsense. Of course individual assessments are better. This doesn't mean the race concept has no value. That's why it's used in medicine.

Only hard-box classifications are doomed to fail. That doesn't mean classification of populations in time and morphological space is without merit.

Nobody is talking about "hard-box classifications". Strawman. Races are cut from continua.

Modern taxonomy is well-aware that their hard-box model is doomed to fail over time as populations continue to diverge and doomed to have only a finite resolution. The purpose of classification is to put names on a map of the tree of life and just like geographic names have limited utility over geologic time as rivers and plates shift, those names serve the purpose of identifying their subject matter.

Absolutely. Same with races.

That's not my opinion, that's your misunderstanding of “humans are remarkably homogeneous genetically, so all humans are only one biological race.” That's "biological race" = variety. So if humans consisted of more than one species, (say after a small population colonized a distant star system and these branches of humanity re-met 500ka in the future), then there would necessarily be more than one biological race of humans. If genetic engineering bred humans to live under the sea, those would a population of humans who carry such extreme niche survival traits that hybrids with the ancestral population would not be well-adapted to survive in either environment. That would be an example of a variety below the species level. If Earth is enslaved by aliens and they start competitively culling and breeding us on a massive scale, they might create temporary domesticated varieties which would tend to return to ancestral trait statistics should the enforced culling end. Those are all counterfactual examples of how you get and maintain populations of "humans" which are distinct. Even famously self-selected inbred groups like European nobility and isolated Pacific islanders failed to make the cut as they were not that isolated and not inbred long enough — they are still enough like the rest of us to merit the question of can one of them as an individual do a particular human job. They all can live in the desert, in a mountain pass, on a tropical island, in Buckingham palace. So there is just on "biological race" of humans.

You're using the word "variety" in the same sense as race. It's just a semantic game. And you didn't answer my question. Apparently, according to you, races aren't differentiatied "enough". Quantify enough. Is there some standard in non-humans? Give examples.

You have misunderstood the term. Shared ancestry is an empirical fact which refutes typological assumptions.

Nope. It refutes essentialist typology. Let's use the word division instead of type. Races and all taxa are non essentialist divisions.

It thoroughly refutes typology while explaining the pattern of classification systems in terms of shared ancestry in a tree of common descent with modification. Why do you bother to quote what you have not read and understood?

If by typology you mean essentialism, then races are not typological as conceived by Darwin. Strawman.

Looking at the above, I wonder if I have done a disservice to our hot-tempered friend with the undisclosed agenda.

Perhaps he's not a creationist. Perhaps he's Steve Bannon. Or Jeff Sessions.

(Pass the pillowcase and scissors...... :D)

Looking at the above, I wonder if I have done a disservice to our hot-tempered friend with the undisclosed agenda.

Perhaps he's not a creationist. Perhaps he's Steve Bannon. Or Jeff Sessions.

(Pass the pillowcase and scissors...... :D)

What an idiot.

You're using the word "variety" in the same sense as race. It's just a semantic game.
Yep. So why are you playing it? Darwin didn't define "race" any more than he defined "variety", "location", etc; he just used English words to communicate.

That would belong in Linguistics.
Typology is the study of types. It's really that simple. Types can be essentialist or cut arbitrarily from continuous variation. Darwin refuted essentialism, and I agree with him. The confusion is where you allow non-essentialist types in non-human taxonomy, then deny essentialist types in human taxonomy. I am saying that races are non-essentialist types of exactly the same nature as non-human taxa. We agree there are no "boxes" or "hard classification schemes". I am saying that race was not conceptualised as such by Darwin and isn't now. It's a strawman race concept.
If you want to argue against modern strawman race concepts that have nothing to do with Darwin, why fool around with historical semantic trivia?

If you're trying to argue that the sociological races have any equivalence to scientific taxa, or similar bs, you're not going to get anywhere by invoking Darwin - even if he was that muddleheaded, he's been dead for over a century.

Yep. So why are you playing it? Darwin didn't define "race" any more than he defined "variety", "location", etc; he just used English words to communicate.

Your response seems to be "I know you are but what am I?" I'm not bringing up undefined words randomly to refer to the same thing. I gave you Darwin's definition of race. There is not much more I can do if you deny what's in front of you.

If you want to argue against modern strawman race concepts that have nothing to do with Darwin, why fool around with historical semantic trivia?

If you're trying to argue that the sociological races have any equivalence to scientific taxa, or similar bs, you're not going to get anywhere by invoking Darwin - even if he was that muddleheaded, he's been dead for over a century.

What do you mean by "sociological races"? I suspect I'm not talking about sociological races, rather biological races defined by ancestry by Darwin and to the present day, the same as any other taxa, and denied by Boasian Communists for political reasons.

What an idiot.
Maybe but if so I'm not the only one.

For as long as you continue to dodge my request that you tell me why you accused me of dishonesty, I consider you an unworthy respondent and fair game for a bit of light amusement.

Maybe but if so I'm not the only one.

For as long as you continue to dodge my request that you tell me why you accused me of dishonesty, I consider you an unworthy respondent and fair game for a bit of light amusement.

There's a difference between dodge and ignore.

I already explained what was dishonest.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "sociological races"? I suspect I'm not talking about sociological races, rather biological races defined by ancestry by Darwin and to the present day, the same as any other taxa,
No such human races have been defined, at least not as far as I know or anyone has posted here - certainly not by Darwin: you would have to define them for yourself, and you haven't.
I gave you Darwin's definition of race.
Looking back, I still can't find it here. It isn't in anything I've ever read by Darwin - he used the word loosely, along with "variety" and a couple of others. If you are trying to invoke Darwin to defend some notion of the sociological races of the US (or Brazil, or South Africa, there are a few different ones around - most people here use the US classification) you're doomed. He was never that confused, and he's been dead for a century.

No such human races have been defined, at least not as far as I know or anyone has posted here - certainly not by Darwin: you would have to define them for yourself, and you haven't.

Looking back, I still can't find it here. It isn't in anything I've ever read by Darwin - he used the word loosely, along with "variety" and a couple of others. If you are trying to invoke Darwin to defend some notion of the sociological races of the US (or Brazil, or South Africa, there are a few different ones around - most people here use the US classification) you're doomed. He was never that confused, and he's been dead for a century.

"Grant all races of man descended from one race; grant that all structure of each race of man were perfectly known—grant that a perfect table of descent of each race was perfectly known.— grant all this, & then do you not think that most would prefer as the best classification, a genealogical one, even if it did occasionally put one race not quite so near to another, as it would have stood, if allocated by structure alone. Generally, we may safely presume, that the resemblance of races & their pedigrees would go together."

It was in post 4 and someone took the trouble to copy paste it into Google and post the precious URL so as not to "break the rules". Did you really miss that?

So Darwin defined race genealogically. Yes, I understand that "sociological race" can be defined otherwise. But that's not what I'm talking about is it?

So Darwin defined race genealogically
No, he argued that genealogical definition would be best, if it were possible. It wasn't, at the time. It hasn't been done yet, even now (some illuminating genealogical groupings have been sorted out, but they don't line up with anybody's "races" and there doesn't seem to be much point in calling them "races").

Also, he explicitly separated "race" from "pedigree", indicating that when he used the term it was not defined by pedigree - he wasn't using the term genealogically.
Yes, I understand that "sociological race" can be defined otherwise. But that's not what I'm talking about is it?
If you are talking about any human "race" that currently exists, named and so forth, you are talking about a sociological one. (genealogically, for example, Obama is a hybrid of two different but probably fairly close groups and his wife appears to belong to a third more distant one. Sociologically, two hundred and fifty years ago Obama would have been all one race - the Irish were "black" at the time, like the Kenyans - and his wife the same as him. )

By Darwin's time I think the Irish were beginning to be "white" in the US - I don't remember the timeline from my reading at the moment. And it hardly matters: the point is that none of the current "races" in the US are defined by common descent.

Last edited:
No, he argued that genealogical definition would be best, if it were possible. It wasn't, at the time. It hasn't been done yet, even now (some illuminating genealogical groupings have been sorted out, but they don't line up with anybody's "races" and there doesn't seem to be much point in calling them "races").

If you are talking about any human "race" that currently exists, named and so forth, you are talking about a sociological one.

Your assertions are simply false. Ancestry inferred from morphology a la Blumenbach and ancestry inferred from genomics produce the same Caucasoid/Negroid/Mongoloid clusters, ie. the traditional genealogical races. You can call those clusters whatever you want. The historical term was races, and it's usual to not randomly rename things for no reason other than politically motivated distaste.

I already knew the answer. I was wondering what the board members here thought. The usual pseudoscience Marxist nonsense sadly.
So do you just want to argue with the members about the definition of race or is there anything further you want to discuss. If this is only going to be a back and forth about the meaning or validity of race then that does not seem very interesting and I will move on.

Also, he explicitly separated "race" from "pedigree", indicating that when he used the term is was not defined by pedigree - he wasn't using the term genealogically.

(genealogically, for example, Obama is a hybrid of two different but probably fairly close groups and his wife appears to belong to a third more distant one. Sociologically, two hundred and fifty years ago Obama would have been all one race - the Irish were "black" at the time, like the Kenyans - and his wife the same as him. )

By Darwin's time I think the Irish were beginning to be "white" in the US - I don't remember the timeline from my reading at the moment. And it hardly matters: the point is that none of the current "races" in the US are defined by common descent.

You added this. He explicitly defined race genealogically. Your claims appear fabricated. Where is the supporting quote?

Yes, political race is often not genealogical. You are pointlessly repeating this.

Ancestry inferred from morphology a la Blumenbach and ancestry inferred from genomics produce the same Caucasoid/Negroid/Mongoloid clusters, ie. the traditional genealogical races.
No, they don't. And the "traditional" races are not genealogical.

You added this. He explicitly defined race genealogically
He did not define a single human race, and he offered genealogical definition as something one could only imagine. You quoted the man - read your own quote. It was a hypothetical.

Here's Darwin, clearly stating that races are based on "resemblance" and genealogical groups are at the time of his writing different things.
Generally, we may safely presume, that the resemblance of races & their pedigrees would go together."

Last edited:
No, they don't. And the "traditional" races are not genealogical.

What studies are you looking at? I'd look at Blumenbach's original work where he explicitly posits shared ancestry, as a monogenist, and coins the Caucasoid/Negroid/Mongoloid partition. Then I'd look at global genomic PCAs such as "Mapping Human Genetic Diversity in Asia" where they explicitly posit shared ancestry among East Asians or Mongoloids.

Did you look at any studies or just write "No they don't"?

He did not define a single human race, and he offered genealogical definition as something one could only imagine. You quoted the man - read your own quote. It was a hypothetical.

Here's Darwin, clearly stating that races are based on "resemblance" and genealogical groups are at the time of his writing different things.

He defined the classification system, which then generates groups. You seem to have a problem with phylogenetics in general. Doubtless this is only when discussing human race.

This is becoming silly. He said races could be based on resemblance or genealogy in the part you left out, that these would tend to go together, and genealogy was a preferred system. I've had enough of your fabrications.

Back