How Can real energy 'permeate space-time', when space-time is just maths construct?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Undefined, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Yes, that is what was thought before 1887. Then people realized that waves don't require a medium and the MMx showed that no such medium likely exists. Perhaps you are unaware: when scientists today discuss the wave nature of light, they are NOT presuming an aether exists.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The duel nature of light and other sub atomic particles is a quantum effect that we cannot properly explain nor have a proper handle on as yet.
    We just know it happens and is part of the quantum weirdness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cav755 Banned Banned

We know what occurs physically in nature in a double slit experiment. The particle travels through a single slit and it is the associated wave in the stuff which fills empty space which passes through both.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cav755 Banned Banned

Most of them also are not able to understand the particle always travels through a single slit and it is the associated physical wave which passes through both.

I said:

You replied:

Do you realize mainstream physics is in denial of understanding the particle always travels through a single slit in a double slit experiment?

Do you understand in the Copenhagen interpretation, the most popular mainstream interpretation, you aren't allowed to ask where the particle physically exists prior to detection?

Do you realize your understanding the particle travels through a single slit refutes the Copenhagen interpretation?

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Yes, I understand you are presenting a conspiracy theory/crackpot view. What I am trying to ascertain is whether you think your idea is new and just are not aware of why it fell out of favor 130 years ago or if, like Farsight you think there has been a vast conspiracy to hide the way the universe works from us?
    No, but more to the point, do you yet understand that none of this has anything to do with your aether crackpot nonsense? It just seems like any time you see "wave" you think "aether" - you are unable to conceive of a wave without an aether. Is that true?

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The double-slit experiment, is an experiment demonstrating that matter and energy can display both characteristics of waves and particles, and demonstrates the fundamentally nature of quantum mechanics. Period.

And yet it continues.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The vast amount of alternative cosmological theories continues.....Plasma theory, light speed not constant, the Michelson/Morley aether exists, BH's don't exist, we see light stop at the EH, SR/GR are wrong, FoR's dont exist, gravity does not exist,.........
    My apologies to any alternative/pseudoscientific/conspiracy nutters I have missed....Quite unintentional and just a case of poor memory.

And most claim absolute, 100%, no correspondence will be entered into certainty in each of their individual alternative picture of the Universe/space/time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Against that myriad of ideas, inflated egos and delusions of grandeur, we have the tried and tested orthodox mainstream accepted explanations.

I think logic speaks for itself.

10. cav755 Banned Banned

I said:

You replied:

Do you realize understanding the particle always travels through a single slit is considered a conspiracy theory/crackpot view?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Where did I agree?
    Are you hallucinating?

I said....
    The double-slit experiment, is an experiment demonstrating that matter and energy can display both characteristics of waves and particles, and demonstrates the fundamentally nature of quantum mechanics. Period.

and....

The duel nature of light and other sub atomic particles is a quantum effect that we cannot properly explain nor have a proper handle on as yet.

12. cav755 Banned Banned

That response you are responding to was not to you.

In a double slit experiment the physical particle travels through a single slit and the physical wave passes through both.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, that is never seen.

14. cav755 Banned Banned

Every time detectors are placed at the entrances, within, or at the exits to the slits in a double slit experiment the particle is always seen traveling through a single slit.

Q. Why is the particle always detected entering, traveling through and exiting a single slit in a double slit experiment?
    A. The particle always travels through a single slit. It is the associated wave in the aether which passes through both.

15. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Aether will never be used in science mainly for one single reason. Its standing origin belongs to the Greek power of zues. And applying any context of god is a no no for most people in both religious and scientific notions. By that it was meant the stuff Zues was made of, the same stuff the heavens were made of. Not the power Zues held within himself.

This does not mean it can't be done. To use aeither in scientific fashion. Just that blasphemy is a terrible alternative to respectful scientific jargon. Either way I'm almost certain the true meaning of the word after we un-cloud the religious context with facts about two observed phenomenon. Yet to still allocate a third unobserved? Or another 1,000 years arguing against a dictionary, mathematics, religious nuts, crack pots, or even crack heads if you want physical company.

That technically makes this a religious thread... until the true meaning of "Aether" is verified for scientific constructs.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

See post 108.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I don't believe it is, but in either case, please explain why you think that has anything to do with the existence of an aether.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And of course the aether, as you present does not exist, nor does the space/time/gravity/Universal interactions that you have previously claimed.

19. cav755 Banned Banned

I don't care what you call it. Empty space has mass which is displaced by the particles of matter which exist in it and move through it.

In a double slit experiment it is the mass which fills empty space which waves.

20. cav755 Banned Banned

We know it happens because the aether waves.

21. cav755 Banned Banned

Since the particle always travels through a single slit it is the stuff the particle is moving through and displacing which passes through both.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Who told you that?
    The aether as you present is non-existent.

23. cav755 Banned Banned

'New 'Double Slit' Experiment Skirts Uncertainty Principle'
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-slit-experiment-skirts-uncertainty-principle

"Intriguingly, the trajectories closely match those predicted by an unconventional interpretation of quantum mechanics known as pilot-wave theory, in which each particle has a well-defined trajectory that takes it through one slit while the associated wave passes through both slits."

'Team 'sneaks around' quantum rule'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13626587

"For his part, Professor Steinberg believes that the result reduces a limitation not on quantum physics but on physicists themselves. "I feel like we're starting to pull back a veil on what nature really is," he said. "The trouble with quantum mechanics is that while we've learned to calculate the outcomes of all sorts of experiments, we've lost much of our ability to describe what is really happening in any natural language. I think that this has really hampered our ability to make progress, to come up with new ideas and see intuitively how new systems ought to behave."

Seeing intuitively how a double slit experiment behaves is understanding the particle always travels through a single slit and the associated wave in the aether passes through both.

'Physics World reveals its top 10 breakthroughs for 2011 - 1st place: Shifting the morals of quantum measurement'
    http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...rld-reveals-its-top-10-breakthroughs-for-2011

"Steinberg's work stood out because it challenges the widely held notion that quantum mechanics forbids us any knowledge of the paths taken by individual photons as they travel through two closely spaced slits to create an interference pattern."