How a mRNA vaccine works (Star Wars version)

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Hercules Rockefeller, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Not my work; thanks to the brilliant xkcd (Randall Munroe)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"To ensure lasting immunity, doctors recommend destroying a second Death Star some time after the first."

https://xkcd.com/2425/

Dennis Tate, Bells and Michael 345 like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dicart Registered Senior Member

https://xkcd.com/2425/[/QUOTE]

And if there are plenty of new "Death Star model" ("variants" you should never have seen if you would not have been vaccinated), you will finish to be accustomed to the parts of the Death Star the different models have in common."

"Why would my body attack something he build himself ?"
    Thats the good question.

The body attack "something new", and so by new you must understand : Something that has suddenly appeared.
    But if this "something" is here during a long time (and your not dead meanwhile...) the lymphocytes (immunity "cells", named cells altought they are in fact amoeba defending their territory, that now act as cells) learn that they should not attack this "something" and they assume this something is part of the body (thats what happen while the organism is growing, so recognizing all what has to do with himself).

For a protein, the "something" is not the whole protein (lymphocyte has no eyes), but "the something" are the so called "antigen" sites the lymphocytes can recognise.
    These sites are small portions of the protein that can also be recognised by antibody molecules.

So, what happen if you vaccine regulary (like avery 6 month) and inject in the body a protein (or mARN the body used to synthetise protein) that is approximatively the same ? (And there is no infection or disease effect detected like with the Pfizer vaccine wich use lipidic vesicles)
    The body (the lymphocytes) will do as it do with all other proteins, he will learn to accept the protein as the self...
    And the immunity response will be lowered in case of real infection.

"Hey Death Star, comme on you buddy ! "

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dennis Tate likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Thank you for this....
    that is helpful......
    I have been doing what I found out to do to boost my immune system since the 1980s.. .and especially since 1999.....
    and I feel better now in many ways at sixty one that I did when I was thirty six.......
    so I am not enthusiastic to mess up the relative success that I seem to have had for these last two or three decades.....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.