House On Fire?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by superluminal, Oct 21, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Is it rational to think that 30 years of experience in the aerospace industry lends any credibility to one's (personal) claims in the fields of geology or archeology?
    How about theology or philosophy?

Professor Lewis Wolpert, erudite biologist at London's University College, writes that most scientists today are ignorant of philosophical issues. Though at the beginning of the twentieth century a professional scientist normally had a background in philosophy,
    Today things are quite different, and the stars of modern science are more likely to have been brought up on science fiction ... the physicist who is a quantum mechanic has no more knowledge of philosophy than the average car mechanic.

("The Unnatural Nature of Science")
    :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    anyone hurt?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

the physicist who is a quantum mechanic has no more knowledge of philosophy than the average car mechanic. ("The Unnatural Nature of Science")

/pats/head

i say
    thats reiku to a tee

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

given the absence of philosophy in the curriculum of contemporary scientific training, its hardly unique.

Unfortunately this has predictable results

Science, as we have already discovered, is outrageously demanding. It demands that it is not simply a way of explaining certain bits of the world, or even the local quarter of the universe within telescopic range. It demands that it explains absolutely everything

Benjamin Wooley - Virtual Worlds

8. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

Yes most systems start with with belief. Theists stop at this point. All other seekers of knowledge test, and test and the offal falls to the wayside.
    Theists are content to ignore every bit of evidence that contradicts their beliefs to the point of absurdity. " god did it", "we can't know the way of god". Those are pretty short biology lessons no? or anthropology or geology.
    To grant credit to something that cannot be tested or examined, particulary when absolutely every shred of evidence points elsewhere is nothing but irrational. I cannot see any other word for it. But again I'll ask you to provide a definition for the word/s 'logic' & 'rational thought' that includes believing in the supernatural. It's one thing for bronze age people looking for ways to explain what they don't under stand. that justification no longer exists.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if that is what you believe, no wonder that you are now an atheist

I am not sure if I understand your argument, so I will try and play it back to you before I begin.

Is this your argument?

P1 All evidence points towards god's non existence
    p2 All theistic claims are contradictory
    p3 All theistic claims are attempts to compensate for lacks of knowledge
    conclusion - therefore all theistic claims are irrational

10. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

Yes 30 years is enough for the real world. There is absolutely no reason to study theology any more than flint knapping. Philosophy,, I'll leave that to the likes of Depak. It is inane to think that a physicist needs a knowledge of philosophy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you are certainly fitting this quote to the letter

Science, as we have already discovered, is outrageously demanding. It demands that it is not simply a way of explaining certain bits of the world, or even the local quarter of the universe within telescopic range. It demands that it explains absolutely everything

Benjamin Wooley - Virtual Worlds

12. Gustav Banned Banned

you and the writer then presume too much..foo..

/pats both

13. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

if that is what you believe, no wonder that you are now an atheist

No that is what I've observed. You may deny it, but you can't demonstrate it

I am not sure if I understand your argument, so I will try and play it back to you before I begin.

I'm up for the 2nd night with insomnia. But barring typos I'm sure that you get my point.

P1 All evidence points towards god's non existence
    p2 All theistic claims are contradictory
    p3 All theistic claims are attempts to compensate for lacks of knowledge
    conclusion - therefore all theistic claims are irrational

P1 it certainly does
    P2 the ones that can be tested are false or contradictory or meaningless.
    P3 Lack of knowledge or desire to fit in with friends etc.
    Until you can provide one shred of proof, yes. That is pretty much the definition of irrational.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

presuming one can make grand philosophical claims without some training or knowledge in philosophy can also be hazardous to your health ....

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

ok now before I begin, what evidence or bodies of work are you referencing for your three premises?

16. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh
    psychophysics 101

17. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

Science most certainly not ask for all explainations. Just the natural ones. I'm too tired to google Wooley now, is there any reason to think a quote from Virtual Worlds or this man should mean anything to me?

18. Gustav Banned Banned

.............and environment

/piles it on with the best

19. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

before you begin you are going to provide the definitions that I asked for. I'm going to hit the rack.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

argumentum ad hominem

21. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

1 last one tonight
    utter balderdash. Provide an example.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I had hoped it may cause you to reconsider what you meant by saying science has superseded philosophy .....

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

definitions of rationality are already established

this is a rational statement
    p1 all pigs can fly
    p2 all horses are pigs
    therefore all horses can fly
    (of course there are a few problems with the premises)

this is a truthful statement
    p1 I am hungry
    p2 it is almost night time
    therefore it is thursday
    (of course it has a few problems with rationality)

people often make the claims that theism is not rational, when actually they mean something else- at the moment I am just trying to help you form a coherent argument