Homophobia

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jan Ardena, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't know where you live, but here in the USA 99% of gays and lesbians don't tell anyone except their best friends that they're homosexual, much less define themselves by it! "I'm an engineer." "I'm a Democrat." "I'm a Unitarian." "I'm an Orioles fan." "I'm a guitarist." You'd have to walk down Hollywood Boulevard on Saturday night to ask someone "what are you?" and get the answer, "I'm gay."

You must live in Hollywood. Even here in Montgomery County, Maryland (Bethesda, Rockville, etc.), one of the most overwhelmingly liberal places in the USA, the only overt sign of the gay "community" is that we all know where the gay bars are. But you'd have to go inside one before you'll find a stranger who would identify himself as gay. I have never seen a same-sex couple in public expressing affection in any way that we would traditionally only expect to see in opposite-sex couples. (I.e., buddies sometimes put their arms around each other, in some cultures men walk around holding hands, etc.)

It's the anti-discrimination laws. Like any business, you MUST rent to people regardless of their ethnicity, religion, age, sex, marital status, or number of children if any. Gays and lesbians are not yet covered by the laws in all jurisdictions, but they are in all the places I've lived as an adult. I kinda regard that as a litmus test of whether I even want to live there: if they discriminate against gays, how do they feel about atheists?

As I said, I can't imagine where you live that you actually see gay people flaunting their sexuality in public. You generally only see that in a few of our largest cities with a tradition of being gay-friendly, where there are gay neighborhoods and gay business districts. San Francisco is the most famous since half the city is a "gay neighborhood." But also, to a lesser but still effective extent: Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Atlanta and a handful of others.

It must be, since more than half of the straight folks in America do it at least sometimes. Go into any bar on Saturday night! But also in "public places" like shopping malls, parks, restaurants, even office buildings. I haven't been inside a church in 50 years but I wouldn't be surprised if, these days, it even happens there! (Except to go to a couple of funerals, where it's understood that sexual flaunting is really inappropriate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

In other words, you expect civil behavior. This is what makes civilization work.

To bring this rhetoric into the discussion, I think what the homophobes like Arauca are saying is that it's civil for heterosexual people to flaunt their sexuality in public, but it's not civil when homosexual people do it. Stated that way, it's a textbook case of intolerance and discrimination. It only differs in degree from the common (and legally enforced) attitude in my childhood, that Euro-Americans can go anywhere they want, but Afro-Americans have to stay in their designated areas because their very presence is offensive. Or another one that is not so well-remembered: Christian people can live anywhere they want, but Jewish people can be banned from any community by a vote of its acknowledged leaders. Or: men can do anything they find themselves successful at, but women must stay home, raise children, bake cookies, clean the house, and listen to soap operas. (No TV in Arizona back then.)

Since religion, politics and many other things can be, I suppose this is not the stupidest aspect of homophobia.

We also have to take into account that a certain percentage of the population is bisexual. They may prefer one gender but they're not uncomfortable with the other, and some are downright "different ways on different days." Psychologists tell us that these people may comprise 3-5% of the population, but I would suspect that they're almost impossible to identify accurately enough to count. Anyway, a child who falls into this category may be raised to be heterosexual and have only heterosexual experiences and be content with his life. But if one day in a drunken stupor or on a dare or out of sheer adolescent curiosity he has a homosexual experience and likes it, he may then broaden his options and choose a mate that he finds most satisfactory regardless of gender. If it's the "wrong" gender his parents will then say that he was "corrupted by the influence" of a gay friend, and therefore all gay people should be sent to concentration camps "for the safety of our children."

In my opinion Abrahamic religion is the worst thing that's happened to civilization since the first city was built in 8500BCE. It fosters hatred, it suppresses knowledge and science, it has caused most of the wars in the modern era, and it even motivated the creation of the disastrous fairytale economic system of communism. ("To each according to his need, from each according to his ability," is an elaboration of Karl Marx's favorite line from the Book of Acts.)

If I were going to make one exception to the rule of tolerance at any cost, it would be that Christianity and the other Abrahamic religions should be treated like dangerous drugs.

I don't know where you live, but here in America Islamophobia has been very much a real thing since 9/11. Americans are literally afraid of Islam.

Many, perhaps most, religion-based prejudices have nothing to do with the doctrine in their holy books, but are added apocryphally by the priests, often pandering to political leaders.

If you use the word "homo" again, even so very cleverly camouflaged, as a moderator I will give you a little vacation for breaking the forum rules.

But back on topic, SciForums has a number of gay members and one or two of them have logged onto this thread. In addition, there are many of us who have lived in tolerant liberal cities with openly gay neighborhoods, and/or have had openly gay friends. I suggest that you stop making a fool of yourself and listen to the people who know what they're talking about. Blanket categorization of straight people as "homophobic" is in fact NOT common among gay people.

The word gay, which comes from a French word for "happy," was already being used in the 17th century as a blanket term for all "non-standard" sexual conduct, including promiscuity, prostitution, cross-dressing, bestiality and group sex, as well as homosexual relations. It was only in the 1930s, when promiscuity and prostitution ceased to raise very many eyebrows, that it became limited to a slang word for homosexual, as used by heterosexuals. It wasn't until after WWII that gay people began to apply it to themselves, for the very good reason that it's not as derogatory as "queer."

In other words, they didn't seize this word. We gave it to them.

Wikipedia is not your best source of information for topics that are controversial, or those which simply have a high titillation factor. Dictionary.com gives a much more authoritative (and longer) etymology.

This is a little behind the times, at least in the USA. Today, especially in formal or official language, "gay" is usually limited to men and homosexual women are called "lesbians." The now-standard term for the entire spectrum of other-than-heterosexual is LGBT, which stands for "lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender." Only if we're limiting the discourse specifically to gays and lesbians and leaving the other folks out, would we still be likely to say, "gay men and women."

As a professional writer and editor I have great animosity toward people who don't bother to learn to write their own native language correctly. Of course there are a few people with dyslexia who don't fall into this category and I don't include them in this diatribe, but I figure the rest of them are stupid and/or lazy, having spent their school years goofing off. It's just not that hard to learn to write!

Since misspellings slow down our reading speed tremendously, in the time it takes us to read one of their posts we could read five written by educated people.

It is disrespectful of them to expect us to devote significantly more time to one of their posts than we do to each other's posts. Therefore, the best thing to do is ignore them. Treat them with the same disrespect we get from them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but humans are no longer dumb animals who have to be instinctively compelled to behave in certain ways. Since the invention of birth control, sex has long ceased to be about procreating and has become all about pleasure and the expression of desire for your partner. That is just a simple fact. I'd say over 90% of the people who have sex do so for pleasure alone without any intention of reproducing. Thus sex has long since become redefined by the forethought and freechoice of smart humans who no longer submit to it being a carrot on a stick. Couples now munch freely on the carrot. Sex is for sex's sake. And that applies to gays just as much as it applies to straights.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Nah.

But more importantly, one needs to be in the clear what one is actually disapproving of.

It is seeing other people as objects in the pursuit of one's romantic or sexual notions that is problematic. Whether those people are of the same biological sex as oneself or not, is secondary.

Seeing other people as objects in the pursuit of one's romantic or sexual notions can take place both in heterosexual as well as in homosexual relations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And one either sees a problem with that, or one doesn't ...

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What problem? Two consenting adults taking pleasure in each other's bodies? Again..what problem?

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

gay(adj.) late 14c., "full of joy, merry; light-hearted, carefree;" also "wanton, lewd, lascivious" (late 12c. as a surname, Philippus de Gay), from Old French gai "joyful, happy; pleasant, agreeably charming; forward, pert" (12c.; cf. Old Spanish gayo, Portuguese gaio, Italian gajo, probably French loan-words). Ultimate origin disputed; perhaps from Frankish *gahi (cf. Old High German wahi "pretty"), though not all etymologists accept this. Meaning "stately and beautiful; splendid and showily dressed" is from early 14c. The word gay by the 1890s had an overall tinge of promiscuity -- a gay house was a brothel. The suggestion of immorality in the word can be traced back at least to the 1630s, if not to Chaucer:

But in oure bed he was so fressh and gay
    Whan that he wolde han my bele chose.

Slang meaning "homosexual" (adj.) begins to appear in psychological writing late 1940s, evidently picked up from gay slang and not always easily distinguished from the older sense:

After discharge A.Z. lived for some time at home. He was not happy at the farm and went to a Western city where he associated with a homosexual crowd, being "gay," and wearing female clothes and makeup. He always wished others would make advances to him. ["Rorschach Research Exchange and Journal of Projective Techniques," 1947, p.240]

The association with (male) homosexuality likely got a boost from the term gay cat, used as far back as 1893 in American English for "young hobo," one who is new on the road, also one who sometimes does jobs.

"A Gay Cat," said he, "is a loafing laborer, who works maybe a week, gets his wages and vagabonds about hunting for another 'pick and shovel' job. Do you want to know where they got their monica (nickname) 'Gay Cat'? See, Kid, cats sneak about and scratch immediately after chumming with you and then get gay (fresh). That's why we call them 'Gay Cats'." [Leon Ray Livingston ("America's Most Celebrated Tramp"), "Life and Adventures of A-no. 1," 1910]

Quoting a tramp named Frenchy, who might not have known the origin. Gay cats were severely and cruelly abused by "real" tramps and bums, who considered them "an inferior order of beings who begs of and otherwise preys upon the bum -- as it were a jackal following up the king of beasts" [Prof. John J. McCook, "Tramps," in "The Public Treatment of Pauperism," 1893], but some accounts report certain older tramps would dominate a gay cat and employ him as a sort of slave. In "Sociology and Social Research" (1932-33) a paragraph on the "gay cat" phenomenon notes, "Homosexual practices are more common than rare in this group," and gey cat "homosexual boy" is attested in N. Erskine's 1933 dictionary of "Underworld & Prison Slang" (gey is a Scottish variant of gay).

The "Dictionary of American Slang" reports that gay (adj.) was used by homosexuals, among themselves, in this sense since at least 1920. Rawson ["Wicked Words"] notes a male prostitute using gay in reference to male homosexuals (but also to female prostitutes) in London's notorious Cleveland Street Scandal of 1889. Ayto ["20th Century Words"] calls attention to the ambiguous use of the word in the 1868 song "The Gay Young Clerk in the Dry Goods Store," by U.S. female impersonator Will S. Hays, but the word evidently was not popularly felt in this sense by wider society until the 1950s at the earliest.

"Gay" (or "gai") is now widely used in French, Dutch, Danish, Japanese, Swedish, and Catalan with the same sense as the English. It is coming into use in Germany and among the English-speaking upper classes of many cosmopolitan areas in other countries. [John Boswell, "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality," 1980]

Gay as a noun meaning "a (usually male) homosexual" is attested from 1971; in Middle English it meant "excellent person, noble lady, gallant knight," also "something gay or bright; an ornament or badge" (c.1400)."---http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=gay&searchmode=none

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then you don't see a problem with it. I'm sure Jan and a few others do.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A compendium of "hi-jacked words":

http://www.etymonline.com/

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Jan and a few others" have a problem with consenting adults having sex for sex's sake? Why? And how do you know this?

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Really? You disagree that 40 years ago "gay" meant happy and now it means homosexual?

To demonstrate why this is actually the case I have two tests for you. First is the theme song of "the Flintstones" a popular children's cartoon in 1960. (Note that is more than 40 years ago.) Pay close attention to the lyrics:

"When you're with the Flintstones,
    have a yabba dabba doo time,
    a dabba doo time,
    we'll have a gay old time."

Test question - do you think they meant homosexual or fun?

Second test. Go up to someone, anyone, on the street and ask them if they are gay. Do you think they will say "yes, I am happy" or "no, I'm straight?"

Try those two tests and get back to us.

14. Twelve Registered Senior Member

15. arauca Banned Banned

Homosexuals are product of the environment and not by straight couple making, A man does not get pregnant by inducing sperm into the arsh hole , the sperm will die when mixed with shi**t.

16. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

What?

If homosexuals are not a product of "straight couple making", what are they a product of?

17. arauca Banned Banned

again:Homosexuals are product of the environment !!!!!!

18. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Ok. The environment of straight couples producing homosexual children? Is that what you are referring to?

19. arauca Banned Banned

A domineering mother could be one factor , Were a male is among many sisters could be an other , A soft guy hanging around or with homosexuals , is a good grooming environment. ete..

20. Balerion Banned Banned

Are you serious right now?

21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Do you have any evidence (as in links to recent scientific publications) that these environmental factors lead to homosexual offspring?

22. Balerion Banned Banned

Spelling isn't a matter of effort, it's a matter of knowledge, so I sincerely doubt you know you're spelling words incorrectly.

That thread has nothing to do with this thread.

I never said they did. If you want to argue that point, go to the proper thread. This thread is about a different topic.

And again, I notice you've continually failed to answer the questions I asked you before.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Biological basis of sexual orientation

STANFORD -- "Research into the biological basis of sexual orientation "presents a clear double message. Yes, genetics plays a part. No, it is not all genetics," Dora B. Goldstein, professor emeritus of molecular pharmacology, told the audience that attended the first in a series of public lectures sponsored by the Medical Center's Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual Community on March 9.

"This shouldn't be too surprising because that is what all kinds of behavioral studies indicate. Genes determine everything. The environment affects everything. Then there is this big area where the two interact," she added.

In her noon presentation, Goldstein reviewed relevant research in a number of different areas: population studies, family studies, twin studies, genetic research, childhood behavior, and brain differences.

--The often used statistic that about 10 percent of men are homosexual comes from a study performed by Kinsey. But the subjects were selected in a non-representative fashion, Goldstein said. More recent studies have found that the proportion is between 3 and 5 percent. There is less data on lesbians, but they appear to make up about 1 to 2 percent of the female population. "Of course these are lower bounds, because many people will not admit that they are gay," she pointed out.

--Several studies also have shown that homosexuality tends to run in families. The probability that the brother of a gay man is gay is about four times higher than normal. Similarly, the odds that the sister of a lesbian is also a lesbian is significantly higher than normal. However, male homosexuality and lesbianism tend to run in different families: sisters with gay brothers are not more likely than normal to be lesbian. A 1993 study that traced the pedigree of pairs of gay brothers found that homosexuality tends to run on the maternal side of the family tree: the brothers had a higher than average number of maternal nephews and uncles who are gay.

--Identical twin studies shed additional light on the genetic underpinnings of sexual preference. If there are differences in preference between identical twins, who share the same genes, then that difference cannot be genetic. Here, the research indicates that in cases where one identical male twin is gay, about half the time the other twin is gay as well. "This is way above 4 percent, so it's got to be genetic, but it is nowhere near 100 percent," Goldstein said. The percentages for lesbian twins are slightly lower, but generally comparable.

--DNA studies have identified the general location of at least one "gay gene." The maternal heritability of male homosexuality narrowed the region where such a gene must reside to the X chromosome, because sons get this chromosome from their mother. Analysis of DNA markers on the X chromosomes of sibling pairs has further narrowed the search to a region called XQ28. It consists of hundreds of genes and is located near the tip of the X chromosome. However, there is some indication that genes located elsewhere may have a similar effect on sexual orientation, Goldstein said.

--Fetal development studies suggest how such a gene might influence such a complex behavior. The development of a fetus into a male is accomplished by the development of the testes, which produce testosterone, which has a wide range of physiological effects. During the perinatal period, a week before and after birth, testosterone has an irreversible organizing effect on the body and brain of males. If the hormone is absent during this period, the individual's anatomy and behavior never can become wholly male. A testosterone surge during puberty activates male sexual development and behavior.

--Differences between gay and straight sexual orientation appear at a very early age. In a study, a group of openly homosexual men were asked when they first became aware of their attraction to men and boys, when they realized that they were gay and when they "came out" to others. The group reported becoming aware of their attraction at a very young age, between 5 years old and puberty. Self-awareness of their sexual orientation took place around puberty, and coming out of the closet took place much later.

The results of this survey are supported by studies of "gender non-conforming children." In little girls, this behavior, acting as tomboys, bears no social stigma. In little boys, cross-dressing, playing with dolls and behaving like girls is socially damaging. A larger than average number of such "sissy boys" become gay adults, she said.

--Finally, there is some evidence that the brains of homosexuals may be different from those of heterosexual men and women. The differences have been found in the hypothalamus, which controls eating, drinking, temperature regulation and sexual behavior. Studies done in the Netherlands and in Southern California have found such differences in several areas within the hypothalamus. One region, the midsagittal area of the anterior commissure, is larger in females than in males, but also appears to be larger in homosexual males. Another area, the suprachiasmatic nucleus, which controls circadian rhythm, is larger in heterosexual males and females than it is in homosexuals."--http://news.stanford.edu/pr/95/950310Arc5328.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.