Homophobia

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jan Ardena, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Jesus, nice. Isn't that against the law, you freak? Hope they sue.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

AND therein lays your problem. WTF?

Okay, from here on out, all LGBT’s shall stop holding hands or kissing in public until wellwisher can come to terms with his homophobia. WTF?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Tough titty! You can’t expect the world to wait for you to play catch up. Get over yourself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sure.

It's just vanishingly rare. Possibly a devout celibate and general misanthrope? I don't recall seeing it pulled off - certainly not on this forum.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm gay and I don't want anything from you. What I DO expect is the freedom to freely talk about and to express my love just as heterosexuals enjoy without question. I expect to go to a restaurant and enjoy a nice meal with a man without having some homophobe like you staring and whispering about us behind our backs. I expect the same exact freedom that everyone else has. Not love, not support. Just the same level of respect you accord to every other human being you encounter on a daily basis. That's not really a whole lot. You are certainly free to avoid us much as certain other people avoid blacks or muslims or jews or hispanics. But you do NOT have the right to make us hide and cower like we have in the past. We live in a new age where the universal motto is "Live and let live". This is tolerance. If you don't like it hide in your house all day and leave your TV off. We are all part of the human race. Get used to it.

8. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Ah, well said, Magical. I like your outlook and inlook on numerous subjects.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You have an irrational fear that sexual orientation can be propagated.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wow. As if I need another reason not to go to Alabama. It is especially interesting that there were black atheists!

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Thanks Trooper..Today the words seem to flow naturally. Other days it's more like verbal salad. TGIF!!!

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Spitting on the sidewalk is a public health issue. (as is peeing on the sidewalk, pooping etc.) Let's take a less extreme example.

Let's say there was a group of people who were offended by crosses. They feel offended by people wearing symbols of torture and execution around their necks, and fear that these people might be more willing to be violent towards them or their families. That would be a phobia.

Now imagine that they got together and said "I'm offended by people who wear crosses. I know some people have some issues and feel like they have to shove their religion down other people's throats, but it would be better if all those guys would wear their torture symbols where I can't see them. If I am not thinking of torture and murder, or fearing for my safety, I can get to know the person better."

Would that be a good reason for Christians to not wear crosses? Or is it OK that Christians shove their religion down the throats of others?

13. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I know. You hear Martin Luther King, Jr. this, Martin Luther King, Jr. that, but you hardly ever hear about Philip Randolph.

I hear ya. Same here. BTW, did you see this video? I loved this commencement speech.

[video=youtube;xmpYnxlEh0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpYnxlEh0c[/video]

Good point.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's fine.

That's OK - provided you ban ALL stickers and ALL parties. If you ban parties for gay tenants but not straight tenants, that would be evidence of homophobia.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

I don't think there's a way to disapprove of homosexuality without being homophobic. You can hide behind your religion if you like, but the injunctions against homosexuality found in scripture are clearly based on a fear and loathing of the behavior, so there's really no escaping the label.

It's perfectly fine to be grossed out by it, put off by it, or whatever. It can give you the heebie-jeebies. Those are involuntary responses, and perfectly natural. (And if you spend any time at all with gay people, you'll quickly get over the strangeness of it) To say "that is wrong," however, makes you homophobic, because the claim is necessarily rooted in fear, not logic.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not totally comfortable with the label. It's not like objecting to Islam is the same as Islamophobia, which I doubt is a real thing. But if sexual preference is innate, then objecting to it is objecting to the basic nature of humanity.

17. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

People should be applauding it, as there are too many people in the world anyway.

I am glad i live in an age of feminism, where a man has no society need to have to be with any female, for societies sake, like before.

Why do the homophobes care, there is too many people in the world anyway, let the people do what they want, as long as its with consenting adults. Gays probably think hetero sex is disgusting as well.

We see that there are gay animals, so how is it wrong for gay couples to be not considered normal. In the past all males and females had to do there bit for society in terms of babies, thats not needed anymore.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Wow..That WAS good! I like all of the late David Foster Wallace's insights. But I haven't the patience to read his novels. "Infinite Jest" may be a masterpiece, but it's also humongous. I therefore content myself with bite-sized excerpts, like this speech.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

The key, I think, is that there is no reasonable objection to homosexuality. It doesn't degrade society, it isn't inherently dangerous, it doesn't turn people into killers or criminals. It isn't an ideology or a political philosophy. There's nothing to object to, at least not without your basis for objection being firmly rooted in fear. Even those who claim they hate it because it's disgusting are really only against it because they're afraid it's going to harm them or society.

And while I think there are people who would fit into a standard definition of Islamophobia, those typically labeled Islamophobic are simply objecting to Islam's many shortcomings, such as its treatment of women and jihadist subculture, so in that sense, no, it isn't a real thing.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So true. I think we are culturally conditioned to be put off by same sex affection. To only find beautiful the love between opposite sexes. When I was discovering my own sexuality in my early 20's, I was initially turned off by the thought of kissing another man. It seemed strange to me. All my cultural programming was against it. But over time I learned to accept it. We carry so many unconscious memes in our brains it's only when you oppose them that you become aware of them. Then with experience you can delete them. This will be true for all people who are repulsed by same sex love. With exposure this meme will weaken and eventually disappear. It's just a matter of socialization and cultural acceptance, which is already occurring with every new generation of young people.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Many people (I would say most) object to it for religious reasons. That isn't necessarily rooted in any fear except fear of God's punishments.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

But where does the religious reason come from? Obviously homophobia. Can one subscribe to homophobia without being homophobic themselves?

Also, I think the religious reasons they cite come along with a great deal of what would in another context be plainly called homophobia, including claims about the degradation of society, the corruption of youth, and casting the homosexual male as a predator.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe, I've known people like that. They have gay friends and don't have any specific objection to it other than God doesn't like, so you aren't supposed to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.