Hey hey good lookin'...whatcha got cookin'?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MacGyver1968, Aug 26, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I have to ask, are you hatching or something?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ha... a good question... possibly the answer is yes... possibly the answer is no....

possibly one could extend to the "Helmut of Plato" and how it was/is needed to hide his tears in performing his role as ruler of Hades... ha why not you might ask ...why not...
    Where for art thou Perserphone.....? Bring me my cape of iron... [chuckle]

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Today's offering was a potato topped chicken-veggie pie. The easiest way to get a man to eat veggies, in my experience, is to make them more interesting and this is one method that I have had success with. Served with a side of three bean salad with grated carrot substituted for one of the beans more than compensates for the calories in a single crust pie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sorry but the salad missed the photo op, got eaten that quickly, lol.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

scheherazade

Your posting made look for a LIKE button. Damn! I couldn't find one. Why doesn't this forum have a like button.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Why, thank you, KJ. My mother was one who taught that the way to a man's heart was by way of his stomach and in my experience, she gave good advice. I take it by your enthusiastic response that you also enjoy veggies when they are served up with chicken in a pie?

Personally, I used to find double crust meat pies too heavy on the digestion but since discovering mashed potatoes for a top crust, the veggies lighten up the calories and the digestive load while the protein and a bit of gravy satisfies that crave for the savory. Pork tenderloin makes a really nice pie also.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wait.....that's browned mashed potatoes on top?

A "like" button would be nice....I know other forums that use this software have one. I'd "like" the hail out of that dish.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I've always wanted to do a deep fried turkey and it's getting close to that time of year, so I thought I'd find a great deep fried turkey recipe.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Indeed that is mashed potatoes on top which makes for a great way to use up left-over mashed and reduces the amount of calories from fat. One can use mashed sweet potato, yam or a mixture of these and regular potato for variety. I only got one piece of that creation as I was working on my normal day off this week and the job came with meals. Mashed potato topped meat/chicken and veggie is a well received offering whenever I make it.

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

That deep fried turkey certainly looks great, KJ. I recall hearing a number of folks talking about buying a deep fryer for this purpose over the last couple of years.

Not something that I would invest in given the caveats around the careful use of this appliance and then all of the used oil to dispose of. Had this been invented when I still had sled dogs, I might have been more inclined to get one as the dogs ate a lot of oil in their diet and the used oil could have been added to their food mix.

Maybe I shall have opportunity to at least try a piece of turkey cooked this way in future as we are heading into Thanksgiving (October 8th in Canada) and then Christmas coming up.

13. Promo Registered Senior Member

We started deep frying our Turkeys for Thanksgiving, greatest thing ever!

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Then you would be a good person to ask the following questions:

What is the largest turkey you have cooked in your deep fryer?

How much oil is required and what type of oil did you use?

What do you do with the oil afterward?

This level of detail from one who has used the appliance would be of interest to me.

Thanks.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

We've been deep frying the T-day turkey for about 10 years. I'll never go back to smoking or oven cooking.

1. We generally cook 2 14 pound birds. Smaller birds work better, over 15 is not recommended.

2. We use peanut oil. Anything with a high smoke value. You'll need somewhere around 3 1/2 to 5 gallons.

3. Not sure about disposal. In the city, you can drop it off at collection centers. However, we do the cooking at my cousin's place out in the country. I imagine he mixes it with something and feeds to the animals somehow.

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If you do it this year, please take lot's pictures.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

A Papa Murphy's Take 'N' Bake Pizza is about the most I can accomplish in the kitchen. I do cook up a mean tater tot casserole from time to time.

18. Wicked Weasel Registered Member

Italian sub and some potato salad. Oh yeah, some beer too. Never forget the beer.

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Tater Tots? I think we have something similar called Tasti Taters or some such here in Canada. Perhaps next time you make your tater tot casserole you could snap a pic and post it along with the general guidelines for it's creation?

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the update on the turkey deep-frying Mac. That's an awful lot of oil required and peanut oil is pretty expensive in these parts, even though it appears that one can strain and reuse the oil for up to one month unless one burns it. I found some info at this link that appears reliable and useful.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/444681-do-you-need-to-use-peanut-oil-to-deep-fry-a-turkey/

Rather interesting when they actually post a public service video on how not to perform this function, lol...

[video=youtube;VsiAfyctZCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiAfyctZCk[/video]

21. Promo Registered Senior Member

We do about a 13 lb turkey

We used about 4 gallons of peanut oil.

My dad owns a auto garage so we just give the oil to him, after that i'm sure he mixes it with the other chemicals and has it hauled away.

Just remember to NEVER use your deep-fryer near your house or inside, its crazy how many fires happen on Thanksgiving day.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You can use other types of oil. Anything with a high smoke point. Canola or Corn oil would work. Here's an image of Frank's setup, You can see he's using LouAna brand peanut oil...looks like that package costs about $75 according to google. I didn't realize how expensive that was. You can see from the lawn chairs and beer cooler, that this an event for the men (and dogs...they get the neck)

He has a beautiful house out in the county near Paris, Texas:

Here's a horse pic for ya, Sche....my cousin Grover, feeding "Cool hand luke". He's full grown now.

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Great pics, Mac, thank you much. Cool Hand Luke looks like a charmer, for certain.

Well, it's a given that this woman has no intentions of investing in a deep fryer for turkeys because I am too practical minded to make additional work for myself and the need to get a burning permit for a meal seems just a tad redundant.

I can appreciate that this is a male oriented method of cooking for those who enjoy pyrotechnics but personally, I enjoy my turkey with homemade stuffing (grandfather's secret recipe

) and the interval between when the stuffed turkey hits the oven and when the veggies go on to cook is sacred wine drinking time, indoors, in a cozy house redolent with the aroma of herbs, spice and succulent bird.

It's great sport, no doubt, and I shall keep in mind that I need to find out if any of my red-neck friends prepares their festive fowl in this manner so that I might impinge as a review writer. I'm pretty red-neck myself when it comes to my bush skills so don't any of you red plaid wardrobe masters be getting your Stanfield's in a twist.