Hey hey good lookin'...whatcha got cookin'?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MacGyver1968, Aug 26, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Banana Dog Bites

How about some after dinner treats?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Watermelon Ice Pops

These look absolutely great, but need a little more prep time.

Servings: 12
    Serving Size: 1 ice pop
    Calories: 78
    Fat: 1.4 g
    Carbs: 16.5 g
    Fiber: 0.3 g
    Protein: 0.5 g
    Old Points: 1.6 pts
    Points+: 2 pts

Here are your ingredients:
    Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen

5 cups seedless watermelon pulp
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
    1 pint lime sherbet, softened

Puree watermelon and sugar in batches in your blender or food processor until smooth and strain into a medium bowl. Cover and freeze until puree is slightly slushy, but not quite solid, about 2 to 3 hours. Remove from freezer, stir well and add in chocolate chips.

Place twelve 5-ounce disposable cups in a shallow baking pan and spoon watermelon puree into cups, leaving about a 1/2 inch left from the rim. Place pan in freezer for 2 hours, or until puree is solid, but not rock hard.

Allow lime sherbet to soften a bit, then spread over top of each portion of watermelon puree so that it comes up to the edge of the cup. Smooth sherbet with the back of a spoon and cover each cup with plastic wrap. Cut a small slit in the center of each cup and insert a popsicle stick into each pop so that it almost reaches the bottom of the cups. Freeze overnight (or until solid) and can be frozen for up to two days.

Allow pops to sit at room temperature for about a minute, then gently pull out from the cups. Serve and enjoy!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I've got 1/2 a watermelon in the fridge...and some orange sherbert..I wonder how that would work.

ETA: Hmmm....I've got some white grapes that need to be eaten....I wonder if I made a puree of the grapes, and put it on top of the watermelon puree? (86 the chocolate chips)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well...I invited Marina, the little elderly French lady that lives down the street, to have dinner with us. She gave me my first restaurant job, back when I was 16, and is a REAL chef. I'm always a little intimated cooking for her...like the student cooking for the master. I better bring my "A" game. She's a sweetheart though. She calls me "Meesh", because she can't say "Mitch".

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'd say go for it, and let us know how it turned out. I wonder why I never thought about making watermelon pops before. If you have any honey do melons maybe that would solve your green requirement.

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

My sister decided to make fruit salad instead. We had a bunch of different fruits that needed using before they went bad. I'll have to try it another time.

I accused James of being in on a vegetarian conspiracy to smite bacon-based recipes from the forum...so maybe I should post a few veggie-based dishes to appease him. (James, if you're reading...are you Vegan, or Vegetarian?)

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Here's one of my favorites. This is Marina's reciepe, that I used to make at "The Good Life" when I worked for her.

Pasta Salad.

Rotini pasta (cooked al dente)
    Shredded carrots
    Chopped roma tomatoes
    sliced green olives
    diced red onion
    Italian salad dressing
    one packet of "good seasons" dry Italian salad dressing mix
    olive oil
    Parmesan cheese (optional, leave off for Vegans)

Carnivores can add diced ham.

Mix in a bowl and refrigerate. Leave off the italian dressing if your going to store...it will make the veggies mushy after time.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I also must commend you on the new avi Mac, it is right slick.

I do super - healthy cooking, will refrain from torturing you fine folks with that at this time.

Nice lettuce though, Sheri.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thanks, a guy over at JREF forum made that for me. I posted a pic of me at 5...with a self-done haircut...and he did the morph.

Please post your healthy recipes....I'm looking for more. Everything I cook raises your bad cholesterol by 10 points.

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I grilled my steaks on my beat-up-by-the-hail grill...they came out great: (medium for mom and sis on the right...medium rare on the left for me)

Michael Clarke Duncan died today. So to honor him...I made homemade cornbread in an 80 year old pan:

While corn pudding and corn bread are kind of reduntant....no one complained. I also made some cole slaw.

Many "yummy sounds" were made...which is the most satisfying sound for a cook.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Strawberry Peach Vodka Collins Popsicles

Got to love those frozen desserts.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm about to make a post in the food thread, about a dish that contains meat. I fully expect the veggie admin will delete it.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

For tomorrow's Atheist Sunday lunch, were having brown derbies again...so I thought I'd just post what I'm cooking tonight. No pictures, because my sister took the camera to an art show.

Roasted Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo with pan seered chicken.

To start, take a whole clove of garlic, and remove the outer paper skin, but leave the individual buds wrapped. Place in aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Close up the foil, and place on a pan, and cook for ~30-35 minutes @ 350F/175C until soft and a nice light brown.

For the sauce, first we'll make a roux. In a frying pan, add flour and butter and/or oil. Once mixed, it should be a fairly thick paste. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently until the paste is the color of peanut butter. Right before it's done, smash 3 or 4 of the individual cloves of roasted garlic with the side of your chef knife, and add to the mix. Reduce heat to med-low. Add in milk (or heavy cream if you want to go heart healthy) and wisk continuously. Once the milk begins to steam, add a big-ass handful of good Parmesan cheese. Keep wisking until fully melted and mixed.

While your making the sauce. boil your pasta (pretty much any pasta will do). In a separate frying pan, add medallions of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Let them seer on one side for a good 3 minutes, so one side is nice and brown. Then stir to cook the other sides.

After draining, add your pasta to your sauce and mix. Once plated...add 3 or 4 chicken medallions on top. If your a big Parmesan fan, you can sprinkle some on top. I'm going to serve it with a green salad, and toasted garlic bread, made with my roasted garlic.

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Sargent Schulz, dude.. Schulz.

No coincidence, you're just being paranoid again.

Oh...and by the way...my roasted garlic fettucine alfredo with pan seered chicken was fucking awesome!

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Haa!!! I was right! I edited my post about fettuccine to include that it only takes 15 minutes to make...and that edit is gone!!! Conspiracy!!! Conspiracy!!! Obviously James doesn't want the simplicity of this recipe to propagated...so he edited my post!!!! He's fucking evil.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

15 minutes... and cost how much in USD or AUD? approx.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Nah...I'm just a cook who likes to make people make "the yummy sound".

Chefs are professionally trained...I've just picked up skills from watching others cook....and as Mom tells me...someday I'll make someone a wonderful wife.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Totally cheap. I estimate $5 US for 3 people. We're having to tighten the belt here at the Mac household, so we decided to cook with what we've got, rather than go out and buy new stuff.

Half a box of fettucine, 2 cups of milk, a cup of parmesian cheese, half a stick of butter, a clove of garlic, and a little flour...plus one really big-ass chicken breast.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'd be happy too. I'm all about cooking delicious dishes on a budget...and cooking for your woman can definitely get you laid.

23. seagypsy Banned Banned

I love puzzles

My life comes to a halt if one presents itself to me that I can't solve quickly. I get fixated on any mystery that attracts my attention. Drives hubby nuts.

I'm still trying to figure out why Miss J can walk so much better in heals than many women do.

[video=youtube;8zGnKNVqtb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zGnKNVqtb8&feature=player_detailpage[/video]