Help with English

en bloc = all together
Why need to use french word while English has its word?
Because all languages borrow from each other. We have a surprising number of French phrases we use quite regularly, such as en masse (synonym of en bloc), en suite, a la carte, cafe, Bon voyage, etc.

carte blanche = do as you wish?
Yes. It literally translates to “white (or blank) paper”.
Referring to political leader?
If it was used in reference to a political leader, then yes. E.g. his party may give him carte blanche to secure a win in the election, meaning that he could do as he wanted in order to win the election.
But it can be used in any context when you are basically giving someone liberty to do as they see fit, although it is usually with an end goal in mind.

Compare with "blank check". A blank check implies unlimited funding whereas carte blanche may include a broader range of powers.
Not sure if you remember cheques but it is also possible to physically give someone a signed and dated blank cheque and allow them to fill in the amount

Cheques are becoming a thing of the past...

megalomania = crazy for power?
No, not quite. It is having delusions of being far more powerful than you are, or being far greater. It is often accompanied by a desire for ever more power, though.
Mega = very big
lomania is what?
Not quite. The etymology is from the Greek word megalos (from which we get the prefix “mega-”) meaning large, exaggerated, and mania meaning madness.

Hobson's Choice = you can only choose one?
Not quite - it is where only one thing is offered, with taking nothing being the alternative.
It apparently comes from the 16/17th century, where a guy named Hobson, who owned a stable and rented out horses, would offer customers either the horse in the nearest stall or no horse at all. His was a "take it or leave it" offer.
Is this an idiom?
Yes.

We always say roles and responsibilities.
Actually, what is the difference between role and responsibility?

The role is the position one has within the organisation, e.g. General Manager, or Management Accountant, or nurse, or doctor. The responsibilities are the tasks they are expected to complete as part of their role.

"I couldn't care less"

I have noticed a variant on this expression that goes "I could care less"

On face value it seems to mean the opposite of the former expression but it clearly means the same.

I can't quite understand the logic involved in the latter expression(seems a bit convoluted to make it work)

"I couldn't care less"

I have noticed a variant on this expression that goes "I could care less"

I couldn't care less

I am at my lowest point of caring

I could care less

I think this is more about "provide me with more bs to lower my caring still further"

ie an invite to keep digging yourself into a deeper hole and my caring gets less the deeper you dig

:)

I couldn't care less

I am at my lowest point of caring

I could care less

I think this is more about "provide me with more bs to lower my caring still further"

ie an invite to keep digging yourself into a deeper hole and my caring gets less the deeper you dig

:)
Thanks,I felt it might be along those lines.(but I actually thought it might just be an engrained way of saying the same thing ,only ever having seen it in written form)

Back