Help with English

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Saint, Aug 24, 2011.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

From the foregoing, "chat up" seems indeed to be close to a synonym for it. I must say I had never associated it with any physical contact, just talk aimed at flattering and hence some form of seduction or persuasion, not necessarily sexual.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

1. I plan to venture into the business of selling mobile phones and need a starting capital of $50,000.
    2. My mother is talking to her friend in/on the telephone.

For both sentences, which preposition is correct?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

en suite = is not an original English word? Is it joined "ensuite" , or separated?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

In 1) you use both as written

In 2) it is always "on" the telephone

8. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

"En suite" is a French expression used in English, and it keeps the two words separated

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've never heard or read the word to mean anything like that at all. But since one of the senses is "to flatter," in the sense of ingratiating yourself to someone who might be able to loan you money or help you launch a project, I can see how the "flattering" could be stretched to mean "making time" ("pursuing a romance"--probably an Americanism).

We know how much American slang and British slang differ. Who doesn't remember the embarrassing difference between the British idiom "knock you up," which means, literally, to knock on your door in preparation to take you somewhere, and the American idiom, which means to get you pregnant?

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That is correct. "Capital" is a mass noun like food, water, love, peace, etc. It does not take the definite article. "I need starting capital," not "I need a starting capital."

If you see the phrase, "a capital," it refers to the capital city of a state or country.
    As the Doctor explained, it's always "on the telephone.
    En is the French word for "in." If you see an expression beginning with en, it is almost certainly French.

It's also the Spanish word for "in," but French idioms are much more common in English than Spanish idioms.
    What a strange question. If you see the phrase "I'll be arriving in pants," would you consider changing it to "inpants"???

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

What a strange answer!

I am sure you are aware, FR, that many words that are commonly paired may, after a time, be joined with a hyphen.

After a further passage of time the hyphen itself may disappear, leaving a single word. En suite is now appearing, in some instances, as en-suite. I have not specifically seen it presented as ensuite, but I am confident it has been so represented. Therefore, there is nothing whatsoever strange about the question - unless the person asking it is fluent in French and English. I think we know that is not the case here, or the question would not have been asked.

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My spell-checker is constantly begging me to use hyphens instead of separate words or conjoined words.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Of course. But for a non-native speaker who is still asking a lot of basic questions about English, this is not the time to start teaching him to be creative.

Furthermore, he wasn't asking about hyphenating "en-suite." He was asking about smashing it into a single word--one which, by the way, is NOT in the dictionary.
    Then you'd better replace your spell-checker with one of higher quality--especially if you ever intend to write for a living.

14. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

My guess that this is just a difference between UK and USA English. I'm not an expert here, but I get the clear impression that UK English uses hyphens in many cases where the USA does not. Words like able-bodied, born-again, saddle-bag, etc. So it could just be that he does indeed have a high-quality one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We use the hyphens in "able-bodied" and "born-again," but "saddlebag" is a single word.

Hyphens tend to be squeezed out of words over time. "Saddlebag" goes back 250 years, so it's earned its unhyphenated status. (I tried to write "unhyphenation," but the spell-checker insists that this is not a real word. -- Same goes for "high-quality": it's two words with no hyphen.)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Nor is it a time to be patronising him. Your post could have been interpreted that way.

Perhaps I was unclear.
    En-suite is now an accepted variant of En Suite.
    It can be observed that any hyphenated word pairing will sometimes be combined into a single word. This may be - currently - erroneous, but it happens.
    Since it happens, Saint could very well have encountered it in his reading.
    Therefore it is of value to worn Saint of this practice.

17. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

Is this changing the topic to spelling?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ophiolite likes this.
  18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Why not? Gramar and spilling are impotent!

sideshowbob likes this.
  19. Saint Valued Senior Member

raison d’etre = strong reason?

20. DrKrettin Registered Senior Member

No, much stronger than that, it means "reason for existing", and it has a circumflex over the e: Raison d'être

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

What is Certiorari?

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It's an order for a higher court to review a case tried in a lower court.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's an order from the higher court, demanding that the lower court pass the case upward for review.