Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by arauca, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Neverfly Banned Banned

Exactly- which is why your "dare" isn't much of a dare, is it?
    Might as well dare me to prove that invisible elves don't exist. By the way, a decent person would apologize for accusing me of forbidding a mortally ill person hope. Since I demonstrated the glaring error in your accusation- perhaps you might like to try your hand at decency.
    Ok then... Well, I think you're lying about your experiences.

So now what are we gonna do?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

You make such blanket statements, which only serve to show you don't know anything about quantum mechanics nor, it seems, logic. Quantum mechanics doesn't mean nature deviates from logic. It might deviate from common sense or every day experience but those are very very different from logic. We can construct sound mathematical formalisms to describe quantum systems and mathematics is a form of logical reasoning. Thus your claim it implies a deviation from logic is false.

You've made this mistake before, conflating common sense with logic. People's common sense is not necessarily logical. Things which behave in a manner outside of our usual experience will not align with our expectations or common sense but that's because we develop our common sense by experiencing everyday things. The world of the very small or the very fast is not something we experience usually, thus our common sense is not going to deal well with them. As for your comments about this having something to say about an after life that's a complete non-sequitor. Yet another example of how you don't have a decent grasp of logic.

And as for your comments about atheists and scientists, you're showing you haven't bothered to find out what either of those groups say and would rather invent things you think or hope they say (what you hope seems to be what you think is true, so there isn't really a distinction for you) to convince yourself of what are ultimately untrue things. Time and time and time again you show you're willing to lie and be dishonest. It'll achieve nothing. If you really think your god exists do you think he/she/it would look kindly on your repeated dishonesty? Is lying okay so long as it's to try to further your own position? Isn't there something in the Bible about not bearing false witness? As well as picking and choosing from reality you seem to pick and choose your morals too.

No, we aren't following some argument from authority because an argument from authority is "Person X knows about subject Y. X asserts Z to do with Y. Therefore Z is true". That's quite different from "Person X presents multiple, different but corroborating, pieces of evidence for Z and Persons A, B, C, ..... , D, who are also knowledgeable in Y, examine the evidence thoroughly and conclude it is a reasonable explanation for Z". There are multiple, different phenomena which point to dark matter. They have been presented to the community at large, many people have reviewed the data and the proposed models and continue to do so. And before you try it, no, that isn't the same as saying "This is unquestionably true!". Unlike Mazula and his claims about aliens, god and aether, physicists know that you cannot ever prove a model is absolutely true.

You make it sound like everyone goes through that, which is obviously not the case. Furthermore, why is it that for those religious people who experience such things that it always appears as if their religion is the right one, ie a Christian sees Jesus or Mary, while a Muslim sees Muhammed or a Hindu sees Vishnu? They are inconsistent belief structures, they can't all be right. That suggests it isn't some external reality the brain is accessing but rather a jumbled up sequence of things already contained in the brain. Just like a computer can crash and print some random fragment of a file on its hard drive to the screen a person's brain can jumble up memory and imagination when it breaks down.

Neither, since your assertion it happens to everyone is obviously false.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

Why do you have to lie? Why do you have to slander? I know that wave-functions are solutions to the Schrodinger equation. Are you reckless with other people's reputations too?
    Yes it does. It's called quantum logic.
    Quantum mechanic (nature) defies logic in this sense. Quantum particles are not discrete objects like a baseball is (as an example). A baseball is going to have a very clearly defined position and momentum; a baseball behaves classically. But an electron is a quantum particle; an electron is a DeBroglie wave. It's position and momentum cannot both be known precisely, simultaneously. Quantum particles and quantum systems are described, not as classical and discrete objects, but as quantum wave-functions.

So that there is no misunderstanding, I am not challenging the competence of quantum physicists. What I am saying is that wave-functions should be elevated from a mere mathematics to a phenomenon of nature. Do you agree? If that is true, then there is no scientific basis for science to rule out the existence of an after-life (which is the topic of this thread).

Go look at the name of the thread!!!!! We're discussing the existence, or non existence, of the after-life. What is your beef?
    You just lied about me!!! I proved it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mazulu Banned Banned

So when you lay on your deathbed, do you expect the toothfairy to come for you?

8. Neverfly Banned Banned

No, you didn't. You demonstrated a particular trait: Denial.

Say you have a spider sitting on your foot that you're not aware of and I come along and say, "There's a spider on your foot."
    If you deny the spider being there, did I lie about you? Can you ignore the spider and say you 'proved' that I lied about you?
    Mazulu, there is a great deal you do not understand. Just because someone else understands the things you don't, you cannot say they claim to know everything. That's a childish tactic.

Be honest with yourself.

9. Mazulu Banned Banned

You abuse your position of authority. You like about others and defame their reputation. You have no concept that some people have had experiences that transcend the physical world as we know it. People like you call it insanity. Pray to whatever god or toothfairy you believe in that you never have to experience true insanity. And you should examine your own lies and tendency to bare false witness.

10. Mazulu Banned Banned

Here is is.

Go get your glasses checked.

11. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

So what's it like?

12. Neverfly Banned Banned

You mean my eyes. I don't wear glasses. Also irrelevant as the intent refers to reading comprehension. Maybe you mean my brain needs to be checked. It's broken.

Mazulu, poorly worded one sentence responses do not demonstrate understanding QM. Seems my brain is fine.
    You neglected to mention your "aether" and your misconceptions of wave functions. You have misconceptions about wave functions. You seem to think you can make this stuff up as you go along- it doesn't work that way.

13. Mazulu Banned Banned

Then what is the correct wording professor neverfly? Why guess is that you don't have any idea what a quantum wave-function is. As an ex-priest, why would you ever need to take a class in quantum mechanics.

The time dependent Schrodinger equation looks like this:
    \(i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi(r,t) = [\frac{-\hbar}{2m}\nabla^2+V(r,t)]\Psi(r,t)\)

V(r,t) is the potential energy as a function of time t and position r. The idea is to find a wave-function \(\psi(r,t)\) that satisfies the Schrodinger differential equation. I continue to express my belief that \(\psi(r,t)\) is really describing a phenomenon of nature. I am not the only person who believes this. But I have yet to see someone like Alphanumeric agree or disagree with this opinion.

14. Mazulu Banned Banned

Since I expect to meet my family in the afterlife, I must spend time with the family I have in this life. Gotta go.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Neverfly Banned Banned

"I don't know."
    Volunteer ministry- that was over ten years ago. I was never a priest.
    That's the non-relativistic time dependent differential equation. What phenomenon of nature is psi (r,t) describing?

16. Mazulu Banned Banned

Sorry, now I picture you as a Catholic priest with this exorcist thing going on. That just a bit of my imagination going on...
    The luminiferous aether!

17. Neverfly Banned Banned

Hardly...
    I was hoping you'd say something else entirely. See- this is where you come crumbling down.
    Here, read this:http://arxiv.org/pdf/1111.3328v2.pdf

And let's allow the thread to stay on topic.

18. Mazulu Banned Banned

lol
    Quoting the article,
    OK, remember who you're talking to. I'm a spiritualist. I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of ghosts and spirits interacting with our physical universe and then vanishing without a trace. It is argued that the quantum state does not correspond directly to reality. In my view, reality itself is not made of hard information, hard one's and zero's if you will. In my view, information content can be thought of as 1's and 0's. But sometimes those one's and zero's are not sharp and clear. What I'm saying is that there are parts of reality that cannot be predicted by a model. Nevertheless, nature can still express itself and supernatural activity can still express itself as well. If a spirit tries hard enough, it might be able to project an image of itself as a bunch of photons. But then disappear into the hidden part of reality.

19. arauca Banned Banned

My point is the people that tell that they see their own body on the operating table . there are cases that the Dr. give up the patient for death an the monitoring equipment is shwing no brain activity and the lung-heart machine disconnected, yet the patient have wakened up and could tell them all what was taken place during the procedure and after the procedure when they have given up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Yxo3xUTEQ&feature=related

20. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Again prove that afterlife does not exist, keep going for kids fantasy stories all over again, which is stupid from your side, these are not cartoons we're talking about, this is life, who says my or your energy does not keep existing in some other more fundamental form, energy never ceases to exist, it only transforms. What your are missing is that you can have other forms of energy that science simply cannot detect, measure or calculate-that's the point, not the goddamn imaginary unicorns.
    I would not apologize for accusing you of forbidding a mortally ill person hope-because that crime is much greater, you cannot be such a person and say to mortally ill persons: you're delusional, God does not exist, afterlife does not exist-let people decide what they want to believe.

I'll tell you what I'm, I'm agnostic, I never was too much religious person even in my worst days, but I do understand people who are like. I'm only saying from my experience, I have never seen a person with NDEs/OBEs who did not become more spiritual or more religious. Some people in these circumstances believe in nature, not in God, but the point is hey always believe in something, and you suppose to not to believe in anything after multiple NDEs, sorry but I don't buy it, I met too many people with this phenomenon who became either more religious or more spiritual with having thse phenomenons.

21. Gravage Registered Senior Member

NDEs/OBEs can almost all be scientifically explained, all expect those cases where the person is entirely clinically dead. People who saw exactly what the doctor is doing or what doctor is doing in another room, or what was written on particular objects, while they were clinically dead.

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

It wouldn't be me once it transformed, now would it? Met many logs that were in a campfire? Nope. Transformation is just that- and another word that can work just as well is "destroyed."
    What evidence do you have? Where's the math that shows this? ANYTHING?
    No- you got nothing but speculation based on science you haven't got a clue about. If I burn books- transforming their "energy" (which is not some mysterious substance, by the way) - can I somehow read the book later in ghost print? No- that state of matter is gone. Same with your brain.
    When you die, your energy will remain. Just as the dinosaurs energy has remained all this time until we started pumping it into our cars. It's transformed into inert energy- potential- it's not "within" the organized complex structure that it was and the state of matter was destroyed. If I destroy a pulley and rope system, the energy that was used remains in the objects moved with it. But the pulley and rope are gone and I cannot "Contact" the pulley and rope to lift something later with a seance.
    "Energy" is just a description for Work Done- it is not some complex structure that carries information beyond the grave.
    This is true for Mazulu's wave functions, as well.
    This is the most BASIC physics, what one learns in Grade School. It's nothing at all complex. But you've listened to buffoons like Sylvia Brown and her ilk so long, you are clueless as to what the word "Energy" means.
    You keep telling me that I'm delusional but you cannot read even basic English sentences.

You sure you're not in your worst days now?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  23. seagypsy Banned Banned

Have you ever heard of invented memories? Sometimes, you can inadvertently invent a memory. It happens in children quite easily. If you question a child aggressively about whether or not Uncle Bob molested them, and you are asking the same questions in a variety of different wordings, eventually the child will get so many images in their head of what you are suggesting to them that they think they remember actually being molested. Then their imagination goes into overdrive and next thing you know, they remember Aunt Sally smacked them on the face.

When people go into surgery, or they are in a terrible accident, it is no far stretch to assume they were afraid they would die before they lost consciousness. In the dream state before going actually dying they probably imagined what was going on, or could even hear a lot of what was happening and their mind created images to match what was heard, kind of like when you are dreaming and someone is trying to wake you but instead their voice goes into the dream and becomes part of it.

Well if you go into that situation afraid it is likely that is all you are thinking about in that dream state. And so you imagine seeing yourself dead on the table. But in reality it was your final dream before you died and when they resuscitated you, you weren't able to discern dream from actual reality.

I died while giving birth to my 4th child. I had a planned c section because I had a high risk pregnancy. They also determined about a week before the delivery that I had become very anemic. They had blood on standby but I remember as I was fading out (I was supposed to remain conscious during the entire procedure) I could hear them saying my vitals were dropping and that they were losing me. To get my husband out of the room. Get the baby to intensive care. At that point I started imagining my son being raced to the NICU. I imagined them putting IVs into him and tubes into his nose. All these things happened. I had a near death experience. But my amateur study of psychology took the mystery out of it. It wasn't because my spirit followed my son, it was because my imagination did. I was dreaming as I faded out. I was imagining seeing the one thing that mattered most to me, my new son. It wasn't an after life, it wasn't God showing me something. It was a dream. A vivid dream but still a dream. Nothing more.

I was not an atheist then. But I am now. The more I have learned about human psychology the more I have learned why we invent spirituality. Because we simply do not want to face death.