Has 'Eastern Philosophy' lost its charm ?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Rajagopals, Sep 1, 2004.

?

Has this section (Eastern Philosophy) of Sciforums lost it's charm ?

1. Oh yeh !

37.5%
  2. I think so :(

12.5%
  3. Sad

12.5%
  4. Lets flush few !

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

Has this section of Sciforums lost it's charm ?

Since we see less posting and more of limted expression !

I am sure many are going to read this but few replies, atleast we can have a count of the that.

What you say ?

:m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

creativity is prolific.......if you have the passion you can explore most issues and eastern religions are very interesting to explore
    i sesne a srious questioning about them now more so that ever before. in the 50s especially 60s, and 70s etc there was a frantic looking to the eastern ways of thought. mainly because of the western experiences with various hallucingens

NOW there is being exposed a good deal of corruption--as with swestern religions. and it is really worthwhile to look into this....see where it leaves us. most new age stuff is all caught up in eastern archetypes etc. so challenging eastern religion challenges that

whatever, i feel it very important to keep this thread open. bt it needs creative endeavour so as to explore all the avenues of potential debate

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think the sparsity of discussion is very appropriate. Eastern philosophy is cheifly concerned with removing delusions, not filling you up with ideas.

"Express yourself completely,
    then keep quiet.
    Be like the forces of nature:
    when it blows, there is only wind;
    when it rains, there is only rain;
    when the clouds pass, the sun shines through."

Tao Te Ching

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

well that is taoism....of all eastern philosophies, i am most attracted to that.

but i feel you are wrong if you imagine the others dont fill you up with ideas. they CLAIM to help you remove delusion, but i wonder about that claim

they imply that you are not'right as you are--a dynamic living being, and need to evolve into an 'enlightened' one--like 'Buddha' or discovering your 'atman' or becoming the 'One'....so it is --to me--like a carrot on a stick

have just been discussing with Buddhists at another forum. everyone of them has ceased to explore discusing with me. ( 3 of them)....i put this down to fear to look beyond their teachings

i was asking one about what he thought of hallucinogens. he said that he had used some, but it was for his belief..ie doing mantras.....but he warned that 'wrong' use of them can have you screwing up yer chakras, and your 'lightbody' and you could reincarnate as an animal, worm or 'worse'...
    do you see how such a belief will stop them freely experimenting with hallucinogens...without a Buddha manual in one hand

so what their beliefs do is separate a 'lower
    evolved self" (our natural dynamic being, that shits farts, laughs, cries, and a whole host of emotions) form their concept of a 'higher evolved self' they want to get to--as did their Buddha. a state which they believe will be permanent and away from the 'wheel of death'

that seems to me fillin you with a LOT of ideas

8. te jen Registered Senior Member

I agree with SpiderGoat - the farther I walk on the path, the less likely I am to feel inclined to discuss its ideas or to even find the right words if I am so inclined.

This is an inherent weakness of Buddhism and Taoism from a memetic point of view - their very nature makes them non-evangelical and therefore under-competitive with worldviews like Judeo-Christo-Islamism (come to think of it, from my point of view those three could / should be grouped together under the name "Abrahamism", since for me they have lost their differentiation).

One interesting thing about Buddhism and Taoism is that their roots were very simple and certainly non-dogmatic. They understood the unity of all things and concerned themselves with very little else - only later on did these philosophies take on the trappings of "religion" - deities, rules, scriptures, injunctions, monks, lamas etc.

For my part, I am not interested in some sort of Hollywood mythical transcendent experience - I am content to just be, and spend my time being mindful of the most ordinary things in my world. These moments give me great serenity of feeling, neither joyful or sad.

Most philosophies do indeed fill the scholar with a lot of "ideas". If they are necessary at all it is only as a process whereby the student needs to explore the nature of existence from different points of view - and when the time comes, discard them one by one.

I am willing to discuss any matter within my limited means of expressing myself, duendy.

9. neoclassical Banned Banned

In my view, Eastern Philosophy as a discipline has been weakened by an infusion of Judaic elements (pacifism/passivity, egalitarianism) and thus has lost its appeal to Westerners hoping to escape the disease of their own lands.

10. neoclassical Banned Banned

In my view, the only halllucinogen suitable for use is high-quality marijuana, and even then, it should be used selectively. You rely on it, you die.

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

well, that is your opinion. actually, marijuana aren't truly hallucinogenic strictly speaking

what i have found in my experience at various forums--aprt from forums devoted to hallucinogeic issues--is a great taboo surrounding hallucinogens.
    This taboo manifests various emotions and attitudes such as hostility, emotional pleas for one not to mention them, ridicule, contempt, etcetc

i find this very sad. and if only poeple realized the significance of hallucinogens
    in you very ancient history, and their egalitarian-ness, then i am sure the fear would subside
    the world is in a fuckin right mess....plants are going, animals are going, there is talk of another ice age. then there wont BE no plants. maybe then one will only have meditation with all the whiteness when eyes open

12. neoclassical Banned Banned

Marijuana is a hallucinogen according to the reputable authorities. Anti-drug propaganda categorizes it as a depressant.

I don't sense much hostility toward hallucinogens at forums where most of the people are drug users; only, a lack of understanding. There's raver sites on one side and speed drug sites on the other, with very little in the middle.

Smoke 2g of fine Hindu Indica and you will see what I mean.

13. robtex Registered Senior Member

A lot of the muslims post in the other religion section. It is very sad though that the thread asking for its popularity digressed into a discussion about drug use. I have a buddist friend and a few hindu friends. I should probably talk to them and get input or see if I can get them on here. I wish there was more people with an eastern religion background. I knew a number of buddists in college and they talked to me about their religion but that was a long time ago and I don't think I know enough about their religion to speak like an authority on it. Maybe a good project would be for a number of members to try to go out and recruit one buddiest hindu, shintoist or taoist.....

14. kmguru Staff Member

Mostly this section comes to life when a new member has any questions. Other than that we all know everything after reading each others post for the last 4 to 5 years.....don't we?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Charm is not proportional to number of posts!

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The thing is, serious Buddhists will seek out other sites like http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php
    for in-depth discussion. It's heavily moderated, and contains 45% more real Buddhists in every post!...plus separate forums for the various sects of Buddhism and Taoism.

17. kmguru Staff Member

Well. coming from a Sanatana Dharma background, I started this section (Eastern Philosophy) to discuss the vedic and pre-vedic philosophy with a technology and modern thinking lens. Just as Christianity is post-Moses and can be integrated in Judeo-Christian thinking, I reasoned, we can do the same with Buddhism as post-vedic philosophy.

Serious Buddhists should seek out their deep well same way serious Hindus do seek out their temples. This forum was not meant to replace religious activities and dogmas. It is meant to explore advanced thinking say far into the future with an open mind.

Thank you for your participation.

18. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

And if you look at most posts on other religions, it is mostly "yours is a fake religion" kind. And surely not much of that can be expected in the eastern section... by the intrinsic nature!

19. kmguru Staff Member

"yours is a fake religion"

Could it be all are fake?

20. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

If it has, that is very disappointing. I enjoy this section. There are people who know some of the specifics and can explain some of the terminology very well.

21. kmguru Staff Member

Has 'Eastern Philosophy' lost its charm?

It is just beginning to be rediscovered by the younger generation. Thousands are making trips to India after their graduation from Europe. There is even a company in Delhi that sprang up catering to these young people, giving them jobs including rooming, in exchange for their language skills...

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

It might be that after graduation, they only could find jobs in India!!...hehehe...

No, i dont personally agree with the post question, I am a firm believer in it.

--Zion

23. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

What a reversal!