Happiness?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sculptor, May 17, 2016.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

This chart purports to measure "happiness" by age.
    Let us assume that self reporting wellbeing is a measure of happiness.
    Why:...................................................?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

SoSimple likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've asked all of my friends what their views were and none said they were happier now than before when they were younger. I just wonder who these surveyors ask to get these results. Most of my friends said that early childhood up to getting out of college was their happiest times for they were supported by their parents and had no responsibilities to speak of.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Who beter to juge ones happyness than onesself.???

My chart woud perty much be a strate line around the 6.8 level sinse i grant the posibility that some may be above me... even tho i dont know of anyone who i thank is happier/more content... than me.!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

I like the chart, but after 80 years old the pain and sickness start to pop up then the happiness decreases again

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Why is the 50-53 year old group the least happy?
    I suspect that "wellbeing" does not equal "happiness".

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mayb thats the age when so many first realize they wont have enuff money for a pleasant retirement.???

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

"pleasant retirement" hah-------body pain, joint pain, back pain, failing vision and hearing, deteriorating mental capacity---------money is only important if you ain't got none.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Ha... nuthin is perfect... an its not time to say good-by unless the misery out-weighs the pleasure.!!!

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

So, I'll be at my happiest when I'm close to death?

13. SoSimple Registered Member

I wonder because I'm almost 53 and just started a new career, I should be on my way back up? I guess I'm not the norm because I sure am at least an 8 right Now!

14. timojin Valued Senior Member

One can be the job insecurity , the children have grown up. and they become a pain , once the children establish himself the happiness picks up again .

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

It coud be that the old age happyness is due to knowin it will all end soon

16. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Good for you... sounds like thangs are goin you'r way

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's rather sad though.

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well my coment was a bit tongue in cheek... however... the older i get/closer to death i come... dyin jus ant a big concern to me... an if i was in misery i woud readly welcome it.!!!

I was more glad than sad when my parents died cause they was quite ill an went releatively easy... dad at the end of a 2 day sleep an mom on enuff drugs that she just talked about happy thangs befor she lost consciousness an soon died.!!!

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I think that's when it first really hits you that you're getting old. Thru the 40's you kind of chug along like when you were in your 30's and the signs of age are only subtle. But by 50 you're talking amorphous pudgy torso, sagging face, wrinkled eyes, reading glasses, body pains, and the complete take-over of grey. It's a hard lesson everyone must face eventually. And then you get used to it, realize you're too old to give a shit, and your happy again!

sculptor and cluelusshusbund like this.
  20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm 72 and I must say that I haven't had the same path through life as you describe.

Yes, my face is sagging (but it smiles more than it frowns). My hair is grey (but it's still there, although my beard keeps creeping higher and I have to shave more of my face). I've worn glasses since I was 20 (and bifocals at 50). I weigh less than I did 20 years ago (and about the same as 30 years ago). I don't have any more (or worse) body pains than I did 10 years ago (or even 20).

I can still sing and play my bass guitar. I can mow two acres of lawn--which is a helluva lotta work no matter what kind of mower you're using. I keep picking up odd jobs as an editor or writer.

Frankly, the only part of me that's actually degrading is the one that bothers me most--especially as a musician and music fan: my hearing. But I've got a pair of hearing aids that cost more than my car, and they make everything sound normal.

I just got married (for the third time) a year and a half ago, and life is wonderful.

21. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Good for you, Fraggle! Let us know when your next child comes along!

I'm only 61, but I smile much more every year. Life is getting better.

22. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

I kind'a peaked at 20. Been downhill ever since. It was one hell of a peak.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Me? On average, I'm a reasonably happy sort of bloke and although near 72 years, still on most mornings go for my morning dip:
    I aim to live forever, and so far I'm doing OK.