Halo vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by SaphireKosmos, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The range of what, and in what measurements?

If you mean range of the ships' entire drive lifetime...who cares? This debate is about war tactics; not a single ship, Halo or Trek would have to travel anywhere near it's life cycle.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I reposted this conclusion because I improved its readability.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

So, something that rapidly goes from Latin to English doesn't know the languages? The sentinals are not equipped for hacking into Comms. Only the Monitors have been shown to do that. And there was no monitor at Onyx, so it couldn't of "teached" them the language. Those things also happen to be powerful enough to destroy a ship. And there were trillion of them at one planet. That alone kind of screws ST.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

What? Haloguy, your facts are completely disconnected.

1. A single latin phrase happening into an alien language does not a human make. There are other explanations. Like Bungie deliberatly baiting Halo fans to maximize a surprise or an O. Henry ending.

2. A Monitor's responsibility seems only to be a Halo caretaker and Reclaimer guide. Being an AI, there can be many copies of it on a proper computing device (palm sized or planet sized, whatever the tech might be). At any rate, I have yet to see any instance in Halo where a Monitor is capable of mobile destruction (provide a ref if you have one).

Spark is the only Monitor with a physical presence. As a Halo intelligence, a Monitor necessarily defends the Halo megastructure, however this does not prove that it can strike a ship or an armada that's not near it.

3. Again you assume that Trek ships would stand still and allow any sort of attack to proceed...you also assume that any other Monitor AI would be copied to a mobile device.

The Iconian probe (the closest Trek encounter that would compare with a Monitor's abilities) that destroyed the USS Yamato - the Galaxy twin of Enterprise-D - also hacked into Enterprise-D's system and was defeated by the efforts of La Forge and Data. While a physical Monitor may be able to circumvent one or two ship computers, I guarantee that the miracle engineers on Fleet ships will stop them cold...matter of fact, we may assume that Starfleet computers have been updated with protocols on repelling alien devices.

You're also jumping from Halo attack to Halo attack without really addressing any of my rebuttals. Can I assume that you concede that Trek has thus far had an appropriate thrust or parry for each Halo premise you put forward?

8. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

I was talking about the sentinals power. And hes not the only one with a physical "body". 2401 Pentient Tangent is another monitor. Again, read the books and play the games.

The Covenent are more advaned then ST, and the Forerunners consider them an extreamly primitive race. Imagine what the Forerunner tech looked like, and what they could achive.

9. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

40,000 ST weapons range on phasers and 100,000 range on plasma canons

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Plasma cannons = slow weapons.
    Warp drive = duck quickly.

11. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1. Why should I need to? There's Google.

2. Well, your english is very muddled, your sentence was a run on from Monitors. At any rate, the Sentinels are automaton drones, programmed as security devices against intruders and the Flood. Assuming they're reprogrammed as attack drones, so what if they're capable of destroying a planet? Firstly, all "trillion" would have to be programmed (not a quick task, esp in the heat of a war), before a Trek armada arrives to vaporize the lot of them.

If Trek doesn't stop them at the source, the Sentinels would have to survive a transporter capable, quantum torpedo loaded (since these things would approximate human size, a single quantum torpedo would probably take out hundreds of them at once), phaser armed fleet of Starships, and even if capable of doing it, survive planetary defenses (eg, Starfleet HQ station is no pushover).

Capability does not equal success.

How is the Covenant more advanced than ST? You've not yet proven this.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with any other race in other Scifi. I'm still flabberghasted you consider Forerunners more advanced than any super race in scifi...considering the Forerunners had to wipe themselves out to defeat an enemy they created. :shrug:

12. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

An enemy that was spreading outside of the known Universe! Why else would you need to destroy all life in an area one and a half times the size of the Universe!

13. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Star ship plasma canons are not slow, and I think it was in the fall of reach that the cov have weapons that cut human ships in half.

Plasma mortars are slow that's what the Wraith tanks use.

A small anti-infantry plasma canon can be found on many levels in halo2 it fires very fast and is very accurate, Cov star ship weapons are extremely accurate.

14. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Their "slow weapons" are beam weapons. You can see them in the E3 2007 trailer. That same trailer also shows an in-atmosphere glassing.

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Yes I know...but you're just proving my point. The Forerunners created their own enemy that they couldn't stop without insane casualties. Do you think the Q Continuum are capable of such a galactic mishap? B5's First Ones? Nope.

Plasma is matter. I know the plasma weapons aren't "slow", but they're slower than light, thus easy for a Warp capable vessel to dodge. Unless Halo is doing a Star Wars misnaming thing...

I'll have a look for myself; fyi I was only responding to Fett's plasma cannon comment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I do grant (on a second read here), haloguy, that a trillion attack bots (Sentinels) would be extremely difficult to stop by sheer numbers - again with the caveat of the time elapsed before they were all reprogrammed. Trek folk would have to get pretty creative (like sending in Warbirds on auto-destruct to fracture time/space around the Sentinel fleet, or using Manheim's research for a similar effect) to overcome them.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Or, you could use a Thalaron Radiation or Subspace blast.

However bear in mind that you would need to disable the factory first.

I reckon, a cloaked warbird might be able to blast it before it can be destroyed.

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Thalaron radiation is only deadly to life forms...

Some properly configured Tri Cobalt torps would probably do the trick indeed. Configured with the right yield, they would create subspace rips, devastating to everything nearby.

Still...a trillion Sentinels. They could afford much heavier casualties.

However bear in mind that you would need to disable the factory first.

I'd send a group of cloaked ships to be safe

10 Warbirds + 10 Negh'Vars + 1 USS Defiant to hold the fleet together.

19. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Ah, but there is a minor problem with cloaks: your shields are down during the process of cloaking, and the factory you mentioned was esseintally the core of Onyx, so thats how far into the planet you would have to drill? And as far as we know, Onyx is roughly Earth sized. And theres one other thing: the Sentinals are extreamly fast. And the problem with cloaked ships is that as soon as you fire, your going to have trillions of beams permeating that space, and if you move, you have a huge amount of beams hitting you. And the drones, while they might not be collage graduates, are smart enough to know how to triangulate your position, which they did to Spartans on Onyx. And another thing, the drones have a habit of being immune to fast moving things. That means that photon torps, quantuam torps, and various other things would be ineffective. The Spartans on Onyx had to resort to throwing rocks at them to kill them. Now does Trek have something that can accurately throw a slow,small rock at an extreamly fast moving target in space?

Misnaming is a pretty common occurence in all sci-fi series. Even ST is guilty of it. Why would the barrel of a phaser need to be rifled if its a energy weapon? Its a lot easier to call things antique names then to call them by their real terminology, which for a phaser would be something like a "Medium Phased Energy Emitter Array/Projector". Its a lot easier just to call it a phaser rifle, isn't it?

20. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Oh and a new graphic novel that is coming out seems to be saying that Humans are not forerunners but are some how connected to them.

21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Well, there u go then

22. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Well, the Sentinal did call the Spartan 3 named Ash a subspecies......

23. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Then it seems to me that Humans are related if they are a subspecies, but not the forerunners themselves.