Hacked out of Facebook...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Has anyone here been hacked out of Facebook before? That's currently my plight. My account was hacked, they changed the email address to theirs and checked the box for 2 factor authentication.

I've gone though the Facebook process to get the account back. I changed the password and since I didn't actually initiate the 2 factor authentication I can't get back in that way. FB asks for a picture of my driver's license using their program and my live computer cam.

I finally got that to work but they get back to me within 48 hours but if the picture isn't clear enough we'll be doing this all over again. Their cam software is fluky. I'm not sure if the picture will be clear enough for them.

It's crazy that they make it very hard to reclaim your account but apparently it's easy for someone to hack in the first place.

Just curious if anyone else here has been though this? I'm sure many here don't use Facebook.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yep, and no one could really help on FB. There are work arounds but I deleted the account. I feared that the hacker would change my password which I was surprised they didn’t. But, not much you can do except deactivate it and change the username or password, or delete it and start over. By start over, you’ll have to create a new account and request all your friends again. Sorry that happened, it’s really annoying. Kind of scary too because I kept deleting the hacker’s posts on my status update/page and they’d reappear in minutes. :/

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I wasn't hacked "out" but my Facebook account was hacked once. All they did was post some homophobic comment. Some of my (actual) friends told me about it and it was fixed before I even saw it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a automated system

??? Not a person as such but a system set up ie bot. If the bot? Does drive you out can your ghost account be resurrected and then used as legit account with history for the hackers purpose?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If you can deactivate it, you can sign in. If you can sign in you can change the password and that should keep the hacker out, right? Why would you have to start over?

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, a bot system is probably the case.
    I deleted my account because I feared that if the hacker hacked it once, who’s to say they wouldn’t try again and again? Even if I changed the password on that hacked account. I’m not sure but in that very moment, that’s what I felt was best.

Seattle likes this.
  10. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Probably a waste of time trying, but just in case 'automatically doing whatever the herd does' isn't your deepest guiding principle, the very first hit on a web-search using "privacy and security respecting alternatives to facebook":
    https://fossbytes.com/best-facebook-alternatives/
    Many more 'best of' listings out there. Another valid reason for avoiding any and all mega-bucks sized for-profit social media platforms is 'censorship free', though most PC 'go with the Officially Approved Flow' netizens here feel perfectly safe there.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I've never been on Faecebook and don't intend to be. Mark Zuckerberg is a lizard.

sideshowbob likes this.
  12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I was on Facebook JUST to get a photo

Lasted 2 days

Recently on FB light. Thinking about deleting soon

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Any updates re: your account recovery, Seattle?

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm still locked out. Technically, I'm not locked out, I can log in with a changed (new) password but then the 2 step authentication message kicks in and I can't enter the "code" that I don't have access to.

I haven't heard from FB yet regarding them verifying my driver's license. I did check with a friend to see if anything unusual is being posted on my FB page and she said that when she tried it doesn't appear anymore.

So, that means that FB has removed it since I reported the problem and now I'm just waiting for them to check the driver's license ID as another form of "2 step authentication".

It's annoying. I've Googled and many people have been hacked and it generally takes a while to jump though all the hoops but most do get their account back eventually.

There's not much more I can do at the moment so I'll just wait for some response from FB.

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That’s good they removed your account’s visibility at least. I wish I had waited instead of deleted my account completely - I didn’t realize FB would remove the account as a safety measure, so the hacker wouldn’t be able to manipulate it anymore. This is so crazy, I guess they’re looking for personal info potentially linking to bank accounts etc?

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Potentially that and more likely just spamming all of your contacts (friends). Who knows?

If I were to go though my FB Messenger messages I even have a few (at least 4 or 5) messages from people who have since died. Not that I often go back to reread those messages but it's certainly invasive to lose those due to some hacker.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I know, it’s sad and frustrating but maybe start over?

I felt violated, I remember.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'll start over with just closer friends if I have to but I'll wait to hear from Facebook. I have 150 or so FB "friends", a lot of pictures that I don't want to have to upload again, etc. If I can get back in, no need (IMO) to start over.

It's not like I have to rush to get back on FB anyway