"Gunsmoke" - Marshall Dillon

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Baron Max, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Okay, Marshall Matt Dillion, of the tv series "Gunsmoke", worked in Dodge City, Kansas. We all know that, right?

But... Where in Dodge City did Marshall Dillon live?

He didn't live in the jail, because on numerous episodes, he'd refuse to go get some rest or whatever, opting instead to take a quick nape in one of the empty jail cells.

He didn't live at the Long Branch Saloon, because on numerous episodes he was heard telling Kitty or the bartender that he had to go home and get some sleep.

He didn't live at Ma Smalley's rooming house, because he was heard telling people, "Well, I don't live there, but folks say it's mighty homey."

He didn't live in the Livery Stables, because that's where Festus and Louie, the town drunk, lived!

So ...where the hell did he live?

This ain't no trick question, 'cause I really don't know ...nor does my friend ...nor does any of our friends!

I have a bottle of Bushmills Irish Whiskey riding on the outcome ...even though I don't know what the hell the outcome could possibly be!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nobody can help me with this highly important, Earth-shattering question?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

He lived in our imagination.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

He lives wherever your friend says he lives. I can deduce this from the fact that I've never known you to be right about any-fuckin'-thang.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

None of my friends know either!!

I'm not sure how you can say that? I seldom, if ever, actually make statements of fact. And seldom, if ever, make any statements of opinion, either.

So .....what evidence do you have for that assertion? ...not that I'm saying that you're wrong! Just curious how you arrived at that opinion.

Baron Max

9. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

So if you don't know and your friends don't know what can you possibly be betting about? I'm intrigued now.
    I arrived at that opinion through observation and extrapolation. 'Seldom' isn't 'never', is it.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The bet was about who could find out first. I just thought y'all would either know or you'd be show me how great you are with google and wiki and all those other Internet thingies that I don't know.

So, ....if I made one or two statements or opinions, and they were both wrong, then you can conclude that I don't know shit about anything?

Baron Max

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He lived in the whorehouse.

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

A google/wiki/thingie search turned up nothing, nil, nada.
    Why do you not trust my judgement, Max? Have I not established myself as a bastion of truth on this site time and time again? Don't make me start a poll.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, I do trust your judgement. I was just curious how you arrived at that conclusion, that's all. I readily admit to not know nearly, not even close, to the amount of stuff that you and others on this site know for a fact.

When I was younger, I knew every-damned-thing, but now that I'm old, I realize that I don't know shit, and I'm realizing that I know less and less as time goes on. If thise trend keeps up, in just a few years I ain't gonna' know nothin' about nothing! Perhaps even negative knowledge where my brain sucks itself completely dry and empty!

Baron Max

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Heh. Fret not, Max. That process is universal.

15. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

My guess is he did live in the jailhouse, that's why he refused to go home to rest. He didn't want anyone to know he was homeless. Of course that's a guess, never seen or heard(?) the show on TV or the radio(?).

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

You're going to have to ask James Arness yourself
    http://www.jamesarness.com/writeto.html

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That wasn't all that uncommon in the TV shows of the 1950s. Does anybody know where Sergeant Friday or Boston Blackie lived? It was a literary device of the time, developing only one aspect of a character and leaving the rest a mystery.

It wouldn't make sense in our see-all tell-all era, when people use cell phones with built-in cameras while they're going potty and post videos of their sex lives on the internet. I don't watch as much TV as the average American so I'm hardly the definitive authority, but I'm running down the list of characters in the shows I watch and I'm pretty sure I've been in every one of their homes.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Don't even know who Boston Blackie was, but Sergeant Friday lived in a cute little suburban home somewhere in Los Angeles ....his partner picked him up there one morning bringing along a box of donuts!

But while I understand what you're saying, Fraggle, I've also noted that many times in old tv shows, the characters will make reference to their homes and wives and family, etc. Marshall Dillon often made comments about "..goiing on home...", but never did he or anyone say where or what that was.

I don't watch tv shows much anymore either ...unless I get some of the old shows on tape. I prefer to read novels.

Baron Max