Gun Control, Really?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Woody, Apr 19, 2007.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We are not discussing swimming pools.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The Devil Inside

On one side I have to agree with you, on the other side phlogistician, is trying to say that even trained personnel cannot be trusted with weapons, and as you say it is a red herring, warfare is a totally different situation, and FFI is a hazard faced by all troops, it is part of war, now this situation was a planed well executed plan by some one to kill for very convoluted reasons, and the sad fact is that only one other person with a gun could have changed the situation, when you look around the world...Tiananmen Square China, Rwanda, Sudan, Birafria, Uganda, Ogaden, Lebanon, Zaire, The Montréal Massacre, Bosnia, Mexico, Bangladesh, Timor, Burundi, Ethiopia, Germany, what you see is unarmed people being abused by their government, religious sects, or tribal enemies, or the just plain crazies, being killed because they have any way to defend them selves because the government don't, won't, or can't protect them, and refuses them the right to defend themselves, so they fall before the slaughter of others who have weapons ether provided by the governments, or acquired illegally, to carry our their perverted ideas of revenge, religion, national superiority, or paranoia. How many of the millions of innocent dead would be alive it they had weapons, and I mean firearms, to defend them selves against the scum of the world?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't be silly, he's a
    that has to have some role here!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

ted nugent?
    :bawl:

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What does Jerry Springer say? *anxious*

And Oprah? What does Oprah say? *very anxious*

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

And their say is anymore believable than Nugent's because....???

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Just because he's anxious doesn't mean he's wrong.

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

13. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Yes. Oh master of the obvious.

I agree. We are discussing firearms. Which some people want to ban because they perceive them as a great threat. My point is that if the reason for calling for a ban on guns is the safety threat they pose to society then there are more dangerous things out there than firearms... things like swimming pools and bathtubs. Statistics like these reveal the real reason some people desire to ban guns. It's not because they pose a major threat, it's because they are scary.

And that's fine. If it's your opinion that firearms should be banned for whatever reason you are entitled to your opinion. What I don't like are the lies and the misleading statements. So if you want to ban firearms because they are scary, because they make homicide easier, because you find them morally objectionable, that's fine. Just say so.

But it's not because they are a major threat to the populace or because suddenly we have people with no sense of "social responsibility" as you put it. These problems are not new. The forms change but overall we're not dealing with any massive increase in danger.

~Raithere

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Do you need a gun to be human?

15. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Because Ted has a brain.

"Who doesn't get this? Who has the audacity to demand unarmed helplessness? Who likes dead good guys?

I'll tell you who. People who tramp on the Second Amendment, that's who. People who refuse to accept the self-evident truth that free people have the God-given right to keep and bear arms, to defend themselves and their loved ones. People who are so desperate in their drive to control others, so mindless in their denial that they pretend access to gas causes arson, Ryder trucks and fertilizer cause terrorism, water causes drowning, forks and spoons cause obesity, dialing 911 will somehow save your life, and that their greedy clamoring to "feel good" is more important than admitting that armed citizens are much better equipped to stop evil than unarmed, helpless ones." -TED

~Raithere

16. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Not following you here. Perhaps you could make an attempt to fully express your point. Or are you restricted to simply writing one-liners for some reason?

~Raithere

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I bet you that there were FAR more people are killed in any given year by a drunk driver than all civilian firearms combined. Let's ban automobiles!!!!

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's a great idea.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Do you need a gun to be human? How difficult is that to answer? Or did you already forget what it is like to be human?

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It's not difficult. You do not need a gun to be human. But what does it have to do with the context of this discussion?

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It pretty much ends all discussion. We are discussing a need that isn't a need. A political whim that has nothing to do with building a livable society.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh, I see what you're saying. No there is no 'need' for guns. But the 'right to bear arms' isn't based on a 'need' for guns. It's more symbolic of our freedom.
    As I mentioned before, guns are about as much the main problem in violent crimes as cars are in drunk driving accidents.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1362447&postcount=15