Grave Injustice, Ten years for consentual sex.

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by madanthonywayne, Jan 26, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I came across this story today, an unbelievable miscarrage of justice. A seventeen year old boy got a blow job from a fifteen year old girl at a party. The age of consent is sixteen, but it doesn't apply if the people involved are within two years of each other. Unfortunately, this proviso doesn't apply to oral sex. If he'd had vaginal sex with her, he'd be cool. But since it was a blow job, he's currently in his second year of a ten year sentence.
    Why the governor hasn't pardoned this guy, I can't understand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

That's horrible...I'd be mad...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It beats the sentence some men suffer, marriage.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Why the laws that were changed to include oral sex were not retroactive, I can't understand.

Why this case was even prosecuted, I cannot understand.

Why his appeal wasn't upheld, I cannot understand.

Even the girl's mother admits that her daughter instigated the acts.

As galling as this case is and what this poor boy has been put through, what I find most appalling is this from the prosecutor:

What arrogance!

Having worked as a prosecutor I found that offering such deals to be disgusting and only did so after being ordered to, and even then it wasn't without a fight. But this... I find myself speechless at how unfairly this case was tried.

This is the plea system at its worst. The one and only thing a prosecutor cares about is to get a guilty plea. Now this would be fine if all those accused were in fact guilty. But even in cases where prosecutors know for a fact that the accused is in fact innocent, they will still attempt to bully them into accepting a plea.

For Barker to say that Wilson should have just accepted the same plea, even after all other charges were dropped, is in my opinion, vile. To then say:

"Being branded a sex offender is not good; but at the same time, if it made the difference between spending 10 years as opposed to two? Is it worth sitting in prison for eight more years, and you're still gonna be a sex offender when you get out?"​

It is a shame that so many lawyers cannot understand any notion of principle and most importantly, of ethics, nowdays.

That man should be fired!

This whole case is tantamount to blackmail and all to appease the prosecutors desire for another 'guilty' notch on his belt. Disgusting in my opinion.

8. draqon Banned Banned

well the conclusion is: don't deal with women

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

For once, Bells, we are in complete agreement. This is worse than the Duke lacross case.

10. draqon Banned Banned

yeah...with extreme feministic views of Bells...and her agreeing that the guy's 10 years was not judicially sound...WOW!

11. Bells Staff Member

Of course it is not judicially sound. I may be a bit of a feminist, but I also recognise a pile of manure in law when I see it. And this is a huge pile.

I wonder if the girl who first alleged rape was charged at all?

This case should never have been prosecuted. At worst, it should have been classified as a misdemeanor. To try it as a felony is a travesty. And to compound to the injustice, the law is changed but not made retroactive.

And then to have the prosecutor only concerned with a guilty plea, regardless of the circumstances of the case..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.. makes my blood boil. There is no fairness in law and this is a prime example of how the truth no longer matters. What does matter in criminal prosecution is a guilty plea. Lose a case and you are seen as a bad prosecutor. I hope that this case continues to be closely followed by law schools around the US, to serve as a lesson of what good jurisprudence is not. The law should not be about getting a guilty verdict, while ignoring of the issues at hand in the case.

The arrogance of the prosecution in this case is beyond comprehension. It is cases like these that give prosecutors who do their jobs as it is intended, and not to fulfil their own egotistical pride, a bad name.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I saw this on 20/20 or some show recently.

I have to agree with everyone here: This is pretty ridiculous.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Are you suggesting that state prosecutors should ignore the laws of the state whenever they want to? Or change the laws if the feel like it?

And what was her crime? What would she be charged with?

I think perhaps Dragon got it right .....it's just best that males don't interact with females at all, period, ever! Females are nothing but problems for males, in almost every endeavor of life in todays modern world.

Baron Max

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

One should use judgement and discretion when administering the law. This prosecutor used neither. There was no crime here, except perhaps the false allegation of rape.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

since both were underage the situation should have been regarded as "growing pains".
    i agree that 10 years is waaaaaaaaay over the top.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Any time at all is way over the top. Did you ever get a blowjob from a girl under eighteen while you were under eighteen? I did. Hell, I even did when I was over eighteen (my girlfriend at the time was sixteen or seventeen.)

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh Fucking Christ that poor guy. I feel so sorry for him. Those bastards.

He shouldn't be punished at all, it was a consensual act.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

no.
    i lost my virginity on my 18th birthday . . . to a 16 year old.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If so, why even have written laws? Let's just let judges and prosecutors administer whatever they each think should be done?

Perhaps you should read the third sentence in the original post. That might give you a clue about what law was violated.

Baron Max

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So you admit to being a phedophile? How interesting! And so you feel qualified to make judgements about laws against phedophilia? Hmmm? Perhaps we should let all phedophiles write the laws about sex with minors? Hey, we could even have them lay out the punishments if there are any crimes at all? Hmmm?

Baron Max

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

The mind boggles at the injustices of the legal justice system. I think a top lawyer could and should appeal this sentence and probably win.

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

The kid was 17, she was 15, if he would've took it to the hole, it would've been legal. It's a fucking technicality, and it's bullshit.

23. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

You do realise that teenage females are, on average, 4 years more mature than males of the same age? Calling having consentual sex with a 16 - 17 year old girl when you're just 18, paedophilia, is a bit extreme in my opinion.