GOT JUSTICE? (kinda like got milk)

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by chaos1, Jul 22, 2000.

1. chaos1 Guest

http://www.exosci.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000152.html

Lets start a debate... First go read that thread, then i suggest reading the bulliten board rules.

It says all fields without an asterik are OPTIONAL, and it doesn't say they hafta be correct or require consent of a third party.

My rights to this board were taken away, along with my cool name. I consider this discrimination because I didn't break any of the rules of the bulletin board.

Please help me get justice,
    thx

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chaos1 Guest

Also, nowhere does it say that a valid email address is required. Nor does it say that if you were to put an invalid email that it would require the consent of a third party to verify its authenticity.

This entire discussion could have been avoided if you didn't have people like Lenny go and seek out problems. Not that I consider this a problem, I simply consider it to be a mistake made on the part of both Lenny (for bringing it up) and DaveW for not investigating the situation more... he in no way consulted me prior to my termination.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chaos1 Guest

Something else I consider interesting... this discussion sorta goes into copyright issues.

The owner of www.chaos.com filed complaints after hearing about the situation from Lenny.

The interesting part is that I am in no way marketing the name chaos.com or recieving any type of financial gain from putting that in my profile.

This falls under the Fair Use Code, I am using the URL chaos.com for non-commercial purposes, therefore no complain should have been filed (unless the owner of chaos.com wanted to make a fool of himself/herself)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chaos1 Guest

I'm not entirely sure, but I could even be in a position to sue exosci for breach of contract and discrimination.

Please do the right thing DaveW

8. chaos1 Guest

Maybe even invasion of privacy, because I shouldn't have to give correct infomation that is marked as OPTIONAL in the registration area.

I said descrimination because you can't ban me because of OPTIONAL information I put in my profile.

I said breach of contract because exosci breached the registration agreement when nowhere did it say that I require consent of the certain "homepage" in order to put it in my profile.

So I think I have a pretty good case.

Justice Please?

[This message has been edited by chaos1 (edited July 22, 2000).]

9. chaos1 Guest

I could also probably sue www.chaos.com for provoking the action against me. It was my profile and it was my optional information used non-commercially for personal use.

10. 666 Registered Senior Member

But hey man in your own words it is all pointless So why get so worked up over nothing?????

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited July 22, 2000).]

11. chaos1 Guest

Because my previously regsitered name, Chaos, continues to be banned... which means:

breach of contract
    descrimination
    invasion of privacy

To put it simply, I want my name back. Also an apology from exosci.com and chaos.com should be issued.

12. DaveW Registered Senior Member

This is my story:

Lenny discovered that you had entered the "www.chaos.com" address as your homepage. Lenny saw this as fraudulent information, and proceeded to contact the owner of chaos.com without contacting me. Earlier today, I got an email from the owner of chaos.com threatening legal action against ExoScience if action was not taken. Since I have no mechanism for modifying user profiles (and I don't think it is ethical to do so), my only possible action was to ban the user "Chaos".

I had hoped that I could sort this out with chaos.com, and be able to reinstate your account quickly. Basically, I am in full support of your position. There is nothing fraudulent about linking to another site. I'm totally convinced that linking to another site should be 100% legal. But, when bully tactics are being used against you, there's not much you can do but capitulate.

Since, at the moment, it seems unlikely that chaos.com will be able to understand the situation with any sort of clairvoyance, it seems we will have to remove the link. So, if you agree to change your homepage in your profile, I will certainly unban your account. I think we all deserve an apology from chaos.com

btw... if you had actually included a valid email address, this could have been resolved much quicker.

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited July 22, 2000).]

13. chaos1 Guest

Sorry, I am in no way obligated to change my profile information. If legal action is taken against you that is your problem not mine.

You don't hafta worry about them taking legal action because they will have no case whatsoever.

I suggest you unban my account unconditionally because i don't even have www.chaos.com in my profile. So www.chaos.com has no case at all because i don't have their address in my profile.

Or would you like me to sue? because as I see it, it is well in my favor...

14. chaos1 Guest

I didn't give a valid email because i didn't want people using it, so i put in a fake one (which is legal).

If you want people to give valid email addresses you should go into the UBB cp.html and change the general settings so that the user must enter a valid email (this sends the person a random password to that email for verification that it is valid). But you didn't activate that on this bulletin board so that means i dont' hafta give my real email...

I do agree it would have made this situation easier, but I don't feel as though this situation is a valid reason to give out my personal information.

15. 666 Registered Senior Member

Chaos1,

But you belive everything is pointless. Which means you getting so work up is POINTLESS. So calm down bevis theres no need to do anything becuase it is pointless.

Do see how lame your arguments have been?

16. 666 Registered Senior Member

Oh and just so you know. If you go to a post ware you had the screen name Chaos and click on the "who" icon it does show that yes you did use http://www.chaos.com . However in your new profile under the screen name Chaos1 it shows http://chaos.com . It's right there man. All Dave is asking that you agree to change it in your old profile and you get your old name back, but you chose to act like a jerk.

17. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

You DO know you don't have to even fill out your profile, don't you? So if you don't want anybody seeing your personal info or using your e-mail, DON'T LIST ANYTHING!

Duh....

18. DaveW Registered Senior Member

Look sir,
    I have been supporting you in the past. However, your ingratitude is irritating me.

Let me remind you of some key phrases from the membership agreement:

I can ban you at any time without reason.

You are held legally responsible for your actions.

You are NOT anonymous. I have your IP addresses in the log. It's a trivial matter to contact your ISP and find out who you are.

19. DaveW Registered Senior Member

Also, chaos.com and www.chaos.com are the same thing. Don't argue on a trivial technicality. Also, I'm not the one you should be arguing with.

20. DaveW Registered Senior Member

How was I supposed to contact you when you've left a bogus email address??

Also, what investigation could I have done? I was handed a legal threat and forced to act on it. I think the people at chaos.com are (to put it mildly) clueless about internet etiquette, but I'm not going to risk a legal fight.

21. chaos1 Guest

22. chaos1 Guest

Is this a threat? Let me tell you something, I already know what info you have about me because i use to run a UBB. I know that you can find out who I am by my IP but do i care? If i cared i would use a service like anonymizer.com but I don't.

Let me tell you who I am so you don't hafta waste your time:

I'm 16 years old. I live in Texas. I've first visited exosci.com, I would guess 2 years ago... I first signed up with the name Double Overdrive. I haven't been around forever cause I got a bunch of things going on, but I have return every once in awhile.

I would simply drop everything and forget about your site and you would just lose a visitor. But sometimes someone hasta stand up for whats right. DaveW i'm sorry im "irritating" you, but how do you think I feel?

This part of the agreement describes posts, not profile information. Please DaveW I operated a UBB, I am well aware of the membership agreement.

Okay I am confused on why you said this... What actions did I take that would be cause legal implications? None. I have completely abided by all membership rules.

23. chaos1 Guest

DaveW, just unban me and this will all go away. Do you seriously thing chaos.com is going to press charges to get me to change my personal information? That would completely fail in the courts because I have the right to fill the optional area with whatever I want.

Here is an example. Lets say I said: I live in WALMART, TX. And say Lerry went and told walmart that I used their name in my profile. Do you think Walmart would truly consider legal actions? Here are the facts, I USE IT NON-COMMERCIALLY THEREFORE COPYRIGHT DOESN'T APPLY! NEITHER DOES SOMEONES URL! surely chaos.com would get a lawyer that would tell them the same mumbo-jumbo...

So just unban me and forget about chaos.com they can't do jack to you... Otherwise lose a loyal exosci fan for petty reasons.