Got guns?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Jerrek, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To be honest Kittamaru, you could probably knock them off their feet if they were in body armour with a double tap (body armour becomes less effective with multiple shots and the force of a blow still translates into the vest, it just reduces penetration.) so you wouldn't need to aim for head/arms or legs or kill shots. Just make sure if they go down, you get over there and bind them before they get back up and of course remove whatever weapon they were going to use on your from their vicinity.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I had often wondered if some poor draft-dodging fool named Jody took some heat or a few blows from that song's lyrics.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Fair enough - and with the body armor preventing penetration, more of the force would translate as impact... the .45 ACP IS a pretty heavy round all said and done.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

The us army had a problem with that in ww2. After forensic analysis of the killed and wounded on a battlefield, it was discovered that less than 10% of the soldiers were actually doing all of the shooting of the "enemy". Much head-scratching and consultations with psychological professionals and researchers later, a whole new approach to basic training evolved.
    One of the goals was to break down the civilian mind(wherein, you just do not go about shooting people), and rebuild the mind as a mind of a soldier---the mind of a killer. This was done by mentally and physically brutalizing the young recruits.
    Another trick was to start out with simple targets, then switch to a target which mimicked the sites on the rifle, then switch to targets made in the shape of a human being. In psychology, that is called gradual desensitization ---- much like what is used in getting over phobias.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Home Invasion:::

If after my best efforts to get 'em to leave the house fail... an they then move toward me or wife... i dont consider it as "wrongdoin"... i will shoot.!!!

9. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

Well you and I are in the SAME BOAT with that belief!
    HOO-RAH!

it is not something you would want to live with. I don't know anyone who would...

it is one of those scars that will never go away

well... i can't say it will knock them OFF their feet... but it will DEFINITELY knock them DOWN !! (unless hopped up on some drugs or something)

Well, they never turned my mind into the mind of a killer... and I would like to think that a Soldier is not just a killer. ( I was there to protect others... not to actively seek out and kill someone for the hell of it. )

what DID happen, for the most part, was that it taught the recruits how to quickly react to situations... which was then reinforced by exposure to live fire and then to combat itself. It gave the recruits a "programmed response" of sorts which allowed them to react without thinking about it. The whole "thinking about it" is where the problem comes in, really. MOST PEOPLE do NOT want to kill another human being... even the ones who talk all that crap about killing.

In fact, from experience... those who talk and boast the MOST about killing are usually the LEAST effective in a firefight... the ones who talk the MOST about going to war and killing the enemy (insert derogatory slang term for enemy in there if you wish) have been found to be the LEAST likely to pull the trigger and kill when needed.

This is still true.

Most people would defend their family, I would like to think.

I would prefer the situation never arises... but that is not always possible in the real world. sigh

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

That's the thing that bothers me. If you shoot someone with freaking good reason, you finish the job, you don't go and try to disarm them. For God's sakes, you just had to shoot some SOB. Why would you stop when he falls down?

Always shoot to kill.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Not "just a killer" (of men) fersure.
    But if the guy next to you cannot do that one simple thing, then your life may be forfeit. No winners. Just survivors.
    As situations change, priorities change. All in all, 'twas an ugly stinking stupid thing to do(you may notice me voicing a bit of an antiwar attitude from time to time-----I absolutely detest hawks, and especially chicken hawks) I was there to survive.
    I suspect that the training priorities of the air force and army differed somewhat, especially during the late 60s buildout of the army.
    (If memory serves, Bien Hoa had a swimming pool) Maybe to match the blue shirts?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

There is no gun that can kill hate. As long as we dream it can feed on us... Ever heard of a nightmare? Death breeds hate. We need to arm are selves with reason and life. Truth is the sword Jesus reveals in revelation.

13. danshawen Valued Senior Member

I prefer large stones, clubs, spears, maybe a hatchet. Hammers are nice tools too. Got a whole bag of 'em; different shapes, sizes, wood and fiberglass handles. Beauty. No particular reason to have them or that many, either. Good for smashing bugs, walnuts.

14. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I prefer classical music and a smooth whiskey

[video=youtube;wOUSNVTHoAI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUSNVTHoAI[/video]

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Heres a shout out to Roy an KDL... ther so smooth no whisky is needed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

[video=youtube;vmisOxCHEiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmisOxCHEiw[/video]

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Interesting how this myth persists. The amount of momentum transferred to the target will be equal to the momentum transferred to you by the gun's recoil. If the gun knocks you off your feet when you fire it, the round stands a good chance of knocking someone off theirs when it hits them. Otherwise, not so much.

Of course, getting hit by a bullet will do a lot of _other_ things (including hurt like hell, even through body armor) which might be quite effective at stopping someone.

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

another sonic interlude . . . to soothe a bleeding heart

[video=youtube;xTU2Y0VFH0E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU2Y0VFH0E;t=1m35s[/video]

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There are complications. The bullet is accelerated the length of the rifle barrel, twenty or thirty times the distance in which it is stopped by body armor. Also, the shooter is braced.

I have seen people knocked down by a recoil they were not well braced and ready for - granted, from shotguns while standing on slippery ground, but still.