Google Earth offline size?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by draqon, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. draqon Banned Banned

So yeah Google Earth the program is like 5.0mb-11.0mb...the offline version caching of Google Earth allows up to 2,000mb of data to be stored for detailed maps...but I wonder how many Tbites would be enough to store the entire Google Earth with all the detailed maps without need to access internet? I cant seem to find the info anywhere :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

but are you telling me Google has that much data space?!!! 16,153,693.52 Tbs ???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

i think they started mapping ocean floors now
    anyways........

Google search crawler uses 850 TB of information (1 TB = 1024 GB), so that's the amount of raw data from the web. Google Analytics uses 220 TB stored in two tables: 200 TB for the raw data and 20 TB for the summaries.

Google Earth uses 70.5 TB: 70 TB for the raw imagery and 500 GB for the index data. The second table "is relatively small (˜500 GB), but it must serve tens of thousands of queries per second per datacenter with low latency".

Personalized Search doesn't need too much data: only 4 TB. "Personalized Search stores each user's data in Bigtable. Each user has a unique userid and is assigned a row named by that userid. All user actions are stored in a table."

Google Base uses 2 TB and Orkut only 9 TB of data.

If we take into account that all this information is compressed (for example, the crawled data has compression rate of 11%, so 800 TB become 88 TB), Google uses for all the services mentioned before 220 TB. It's also interesting to note that the size of the raw imagery from Google Earth is almost equal to the size of the compressed web pages crawled by Google. (link)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. draqon Banned Banned

Wow amazing Gustav =) I have been searching for this a long time, so 71 TB would be enough =)

I might actually do this oneday, have Google Earth offline stored on my own private array of TB harddrives.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Hey, Draq, I'm real, real curious about your planned use of all this data - creating a paradise full of Japanese virgins, perhaps?

10. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I have quite literally thousands of images in my pc right now and am only using 168GB of 500GB and have another 500GB piggy backed via a usb dock as a backup. Also I have my web sites saved on my pc as well as online obviously and the main site is image heavy and well over 1GB in volume.

11. draqon Banned Banned

that does not compare even close to how much data Google Earth uses.

12. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

I can well imagine, I was trying to think of a comparison as I have been collecting these images, mostly scanned and uploaded, for nigh on 12 years now.

13. John99 Banned Banned

why?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What kind of images?
    And could you post the links to your websites?
    Thanks!

15. munky-head Registered Member

Makes me feel awed (not to say owned), seeing those numbers.
    I remember what huge difference CDs made (from 1.44MB to 650MB), so speaking of several dozen TBs is still somewhat unbelievable.

16. draqon Banned Banned

store data on a spaceship and use the data in future to spaceengineer a planet to a Earth-like environment, or perhaps just segments of it for space stations.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You're kidding right?

18. draqon Banned Banned

no. Internet is not going to be available in space, in future there will be localized versions of internet throughout the planets and man-made objects like Space Stations. Including Earth offline in detail is a major priority. Just as it is a priority to have copies of DNA of all organisms from Earth, seeds of all the plants and etc.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What information included in Google-Earth will help recreate an Earth-like environment on another planet?

All organisms, or all species? And how would you plan on doing that?

20. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The data is significantly increasing daily, as street view is added to more cities.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So? How would that help to recreate the Earths environment elsewhere?

22. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I wasn't answering your post. Just making a comment about storage space. Actually, I question the usefulness of satellite view and street view features. Other than the cool factor, what are they good for?

23. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Right so why would dragon want to save it if it's just going to be obsolete right away? It's always changing or being added to. Just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.